Teach for America Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Teach for America Interview Questions

Updated Jul 13, 2017

3.4

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (Philadelphia, PA) in March 2016.

Interview

Application online, phone interview (everyone doesn't get a phone interview but that doesn't really affect your hiring chances), assessment or "online activity" that ask questions about various situations, 5 mins teaching lesson in front of other applicants, in person interview

Alumni Relations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (Dallas, TX) in June 2017.

Interview

The first part was a phone interview with the hiring director where she asked basic questions like "Why do you think you'd be a good fit for TFA?" and "What 3 words would you use to describe yourself?". She then asked me why I chose each of the words I chose and how I thought they would help me in TFA. The second part was an in-person interview with the hiring director and head of the Alumni department. They asked more situational questions and how I would deal with difficult people and situations. They also asked me more about who I was in general and what I would contribute to TFA.

Interview Questions

• Do you deal with conflict well, and if so, what is your go-to method of dealing with it?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Interview

After answering some questions and providing a personal statement and resume online, I participated in an in-person interview that involved both an individual interview and group activity. We were required to give a teaching lesson in front of other applicants, which went well and was enjoyable.

Interview Questions

• Why was I interested in the position? Why had led me to apply?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (Boston, MA) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied through an online application. Then, I had an in person interview. The interview lasted all day. First, there was a group interview which included a 5 minute sample teaching lesson After a break, there was an individual interview in the afternoon.

Teaching Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America in October 2016.

Interview

It was involved and long at times. Over all through which is important. The recruiters helped a lot but overall I felt like I was not sure what specific qualities they cared for.

Interview Questions

• The questions were good but sometimes too broad.   1 Answer

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Teach for America in November 2016.

Interview

The interview process took a very long time and required a lot of preparation. There were different stages with the final interview being with a group of applicants where you do a demo lesson and have a personal interview. Very time consuming.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

Long. They make you think you have a real chance at getting a position. Don't be fooled and believe that you are being favored. These recruiters are being told to do so.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Philadelphia, PA).

Interview

Apply online, then go in for a group interview (Super day esque). I applied for the junior early deadline.
    Online process is pretty straightforward - make sure you submit things on time and have someone read your essays for feedback/grammar. Try to polish up your resume and focus on achievements (with numbers). Obviously, be politically correct.
    In person day - teaching lesson is stressful, prep prep prep. Have some sort of props like handouts to use. Dig around on TFA website/internet to help prepare. Stick with simple lessons and have all your info written out ahead of time (name, subject .. etc). Practice and time yourself !!
    1 on 1 interview is a bit strange, make sure you can highlight leadership achievements and results. Pretty standard questions you'd expect in an interview, similar to the ones on here. Not too stressful, 45 min

Try to appear polished throughout the process, practice !! everything, look over the 8 things they want in candidates/mission.

Elementary Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (Miami, FL) in December 2016.

Interview

After you apply you will receive notification of an interview. From there, you will sign up for an interview that should take up about half of your day (it says the entire day, but it doesn't take THAT long). The interview day is very intense and everyone is nervous. It is a group interview with about 10 people and 2 interviewers. First part is a 5 minute sample lesson plan that you have already pre-prepared. You only get 1 minute to set up your lesson, so take that into consideration when planning your lesson. They are SUPER strict with time! Then, you have a group discussion with the other 10 applications where you are given a school related problem and have to come up with a solution as a group. Then, you have your one-on-one interview. The website said this would be an hour, but it was only 25 minutes for me. The person who went before only had a 10 minute interview.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to join TFA?   1 Answer

Director, Alumni Engagement Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America in May 2016.

Interview

Due to me being in a different location than the hiring organization, a phone interview was conducted with an associate. The person I spoke with conducted the interview in a conversation-style manner; which made the process less stressful.

Soon, I was emailed and directed to do a second phone interview, with the hiring manager. The second phone interview experience was very similar to the first. I was asked to conduct a virtual roundtable interview on the Google Hangouts platform. Due to connection issues, the interview ended up being conducted by phone.

This time, along with questions being asked, role play was instituted. I was given several scenarios to act out.

At the conclusion of the interview, there were suggestions made to send any artifacts that support my ability to work in the desired position. I agreed, and stated that I had a plethora of artifacts to send, by email.

After getting off of the phone, I proceeded to send a number of digital artifacts to the hiring manager.

I never heard from anyone about this position, ever again. I assumed that I didn't get the job; but I emailed to check the status of the position, anyway. No response, at all.

I found it disheartening, as TFA requires quite a bit of preparation work (in the form of assignments) to be done; no matter what round the interview process is in.

This isn't the first time I dealt with TFA (applied for another position, in a different location); and I got a lot of run-around, while the interviewers showed major interest.

Interview Questions

• What would be your approach in the first 3 months to put you on a path to achieve goals? Provide example strategies and timelines for implementation.   Answer Question