Teach for America Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.4

336 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in July 2017.

Interview

The first interview discussed my qualifications and understanding of organization mission. The interviewer was very personable and shared information on her experience with company. The interview lasted about 45 minutes. This was a first round screening interview.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a challenge you faced and how you solved the problem?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America in October 2016.

Interview

They have different timelines for applying. Easy process to follow because they have all of the dates and deadlines listed on their website. After applying, I was called for an interview, and I chose to do the video interview. Either web or in person, it's a group interview and you have to have a lesson prepared to teach others. I suggest using their online blackboard before the interview begins to practice your lesson.

Alumni Relations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (Dallas, TX) in June 2017.

Interview

The first part was a phone interview with the hiring director where she asked basic questions like "Why do you think you'd be a good fit for TFA?" and "What 3 words would you use to describe yourself?". She then asked me why I chose each of the words I chose and how I thought they would help me in TFA. The second part was an in-person interview with the hiring director and head of the Alumni department. They asked more situational questions and how I would deal with difficult people and situations. They also asked me more about who I was in general and what I would contribute to TFA.

Interview Questions

• Do you deal with conflict well, and if so, what is your go-to method of dealing with it?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Interview

After answering some questions and providing a personal statement and resume online, I participated in an in-person interview that involved both an individual interview and group activity. We were required to give a teaching lesson in front of other applicants, which went well and was enjoyable.

Interview Questions

• Why was I interested in the position? Why had led me to apply?   Answer Question

Teaching Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America in October 2016.

Interview

It was involved and long at times. Over all through which is important. The recruiters helped a lot but overall I felt like I was not sure what specific qualities they cared for.

Interview Questions

• The questions were good but sometimes too broad.   1 Answer

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Teach for America in November 2016.

Interview

The interview process took a very long time and required a lot of preparation. There were different stages with the final interview being with a group of applicants where you do a demo lesson and have a personal interview. Very time consuming.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

Long. They make you think you have a real chance at getting a position. Don't be fooled and believe that you are being favored. These recruiters are being told to do so.

Director, Alumni Engagement Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America in May 2016.

Interview

Due to me being in a different location than the hiring organization, a phone interview was conducted with an associate. The person I spoke with conducted the interview in a conversation-style manner; which made the process less stressful.

Soon, I was emailed and directed to do a second phone interview, with the hiring manager. The second phone interview experience was very similar to the first. I was asked to conduct a virtual roundtable interview on the Google Hangouts platform. Due to connection issues, the interview ended up being conducted by phone.

This time, along with questions being asked, role play was instituted. I was given several scenarios to act out.

At the conclusion of the interview, there were suggestions made to send any artifacts that support my ability to work in the desired position. I agreed, and stated that I had a plethora of artifacts to send, by email.

After getting off of the phone, I proceeded to send a number of digital artifacts to the hiring manager.

I never heard from anyone about this position, ever again. I assumed that I didn't get the job; but I emailed to check the status of the position, anyway. No response, at all.

I found it disheartening, as TFA requires quite a bit of preparation work (in the form of assignments) to be done; no matter what round the interview process is in.

This isn't the first time I dealt with TFA (applied for another position, in a different location); and I got a lot of run-around, while the interviewers showed major interest.

Interview Questions

• What would be your approach in the first 3 months to put you on a path to achieve goals? Provide example strategies and timelines for implementation.   Answer Question

Cops Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Athens, OH

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (Athens, OH) in October 2016.

Interview

Very comfortable, nerve wracking at first because it is a group interview, but you get warmed up to everyone. The lesson is somewhat like an ice breaker. The only issue was that you had to have 5 hours blocked for the interview time. The interview lasted very long.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

It started with the 5 minute lesson plan and watching presentations. Then a small group conversation about a topic on an education issue. It ended with a 45 minute solo interview.