Teach for America Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 17, 2017

3.4

799 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Nashville, TN).

Interview

A lengthy interview process that included one on one interview as well as group teaching demonstration. The interviewers were nice although very in sync with their process. They would copy down verbatim my answers on their computer as I answered questions from their list, which was a bit odd.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your educational experience.   1 Answer

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America in September 2017.

Interview

Very quick and easy interview process. Short 5-minute lesson presentation followed by group work and one hour 1-on-1 interview. Application process very straightforward and offer comes very soon after interview.

Managing Director, Information Security Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in September 2017.

Interview

I applied for the job directly on the website and a few weeks later I was contacted by an internal Director to interview for the position. First round was to see if the position and company was a fit. Immediately they moved to talking about salary requirements, i stated what I was looking for after doing research into the market and my salary history. They told me the max range they could pay and if i was interested in moving forward. I was still interested in having conversations with the team and moving forward in the process.

A week and a half later I had another interview this one more formal. We went through my background and experience, my personality to see if I would be a fit for the company goals, values and culture.

A week later I was told I would be having a phone interview with the Hiring Manager for the position and this was scheduled. The day of the interview I went to logon and find the specific job description to better prepare for the interview and found that the Title was changed to Senior Engineer. Parts of the job description were changed as well. I have never in my career experienced this type of bait and switch. No one had contacted me ahead of time to tell me about the change, and had I not logged into the Applicant Tracking System I would have never noticed.

The hiring manager tried to tell me during our interview time that the title was just changed to get more of a talent pool, but this process went south very quickly and was obvious that the talent pool was expensive for a Director, so they de-scoped to an engineer.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America in November 2014.

Interview

Online application, followed by a phone interview and finally a group interview where I presented a lesson plan and participated in a monitored group conversation and then a last one on one interview.

Interview Questions

• You will be asked to present a lesson to a group of applicants and given a time frame to fit it into   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Teach for America (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

informal coffee with a TFA recruiter, whole group interview with a dozen other competing corp members with roundtable questions and teaching segment wherein each applicant had to prepare a lesson and teach it to others, individual interview the same day

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Dallas, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied online, a few weeks later I received an email for the first interview stage. The first stage consists of reading a few articles and then answering questions about what you would do in that situation. Or what you thought about the scenario. I week or so later I received an offer for an in person interview. The second and final interview is a group interview. 2 members of TFA are present and 5 or so other interviewees. The day consists of a short 5 minute lesson plan. You must present one and participate in the other candidates lessons. Next, there are 2 case study scenarios and you must discuss with your group what you would do and why. The TFA employees conducting the interview give some prompting but that is all. Lastly, after a break you have a one on one interview.

Interview Questions

• They asked what you would do in a scenario where a school district was low on funding. Would you close one school and relocate students or cut a few teacher jobs?   Answer Question

Corps Memember Interview

Interview

Interview was made up of three parts - a five minute sample lesson, a group task, and an individual interview. The group of fellow applicant were really friendly and I found it to be a much more of a collaborative environment than a competitive one.

Interview Questions

• Can you talk about a time when you quit a major commitment?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Atlanta, GA) in February 2017.

Interview

Applied and was then chosen for an interview. Interview is a full day, with sample lesson plan, group session, and 1:1. Overall a very positive experience. 1:1 part was very conversational.

Interview Questions

• What was a challenge that you faced and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Managing Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

went through various interview stages, submitted work sample, interviewed with several stakeholders, conducted phone interviews (no in person), the process took about 2-3 weeks, was able to get everything set up virtually, made good connections with people

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Washington, DC) in March 2015.

Interview

Started with an online application. I was invited to skip the phone interview and invited to the in-person interview day. There you completed a demo lesson, group activity and individually interviewed. Overall, very supported and straight forward interview process.