Teach for America Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 3, 2017

3.4

787 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (Denver, CO) in April 2013.

Interview

The interview was actually very pleasant. The difficult part was coming up with a lesson plan and testing it on your fellow interviewees. The one-on-one was pleasant and not difficult.

Interview Questions

• Are you organized? Do you use some kind of planner or calendar? Why are you interested in teaching?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in March 2013.

Interview

I applied online, had a phone interview, then interviewed in person in New York, NY. The phone interview covered the basics -- strengths, weaknesses, recent achievements, a time you struggled at work, a time you struggled to work with a co-worker. The in-person interview included teaching demonstrations as well as more in-depth one-on-one interviews. Definitely should have prepared more for the teaching demonstration, but I was still a college kid and had very little teaching experience at the time.

Interview Questions

• Role play scenario at the in-person interview: you want to bring your class on a field trip, but are stonewalled by the administration's lack of budget and apparent lack of enthusiasm. How do you respond?   Answer Question

2013 Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in April 2013.

Interview

The interview process was extensive and exhaustive, lasting from morning to late afternoon. Along with giving a sample lesson in front of the other candidates, there were group and individual interviews. The interviewer was thoughtful and intuitive.

Interview Questions

• What experiences in your life draw you to this work?   Answer Question
    • How did your experiences working with children influence your decision to apply to TFA?   Answer Question

TFA Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (Baltimore, MD) in February 2015.

Interview

Very predictable - look up the interview questions on here and other places online and you'll be more than prepared. I was not expedited to the in-person so I went through the phone interview. They are just reading from a sheet so I already had my answers prepared for every question they asked. The in-person interview is very similar, but the addition of the group conversation, sample lesson, and other nonsense makes it longer. I cannot reiterate enough that if you do the research, you will be 100% prepared for each step of the process.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in July 2017.

Interview

The first interview discussed my qualifications and understanding of organization mission. The interviewer was very personable and shared information on her experience with company. The interview lasted about 45 minutes. This was a first round screening interview.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a challenge you faced and how you solved the problem?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America in October 2016.

Interview

They have different timelines for applying. Easy process to follow because they have all of the dates and deadlines listed on their website. After applying, I was called for an interview, and I chose to do the video interview. Either web or in person, it's a group interview and you have to have a lesson prepared to teach others. I suggest using their online blackboard before the interview begins to practice your lesson.

Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in April 2013.

Interview

The interview was a full day. It consisted of a group discussion about articles, a teaching demo in front of the group, an a 1:1 interview with a former corps member.

Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (Philadelphia, PA) in March 2016.

Interview

Application online, phone interview (everyone doesn't get a phone interview but that doesn't really affect your hiring chances), assessment or "online activity" that ask questions about various situations, 5 mins teaching lesson in front of other applicants, in person interview

Alumni Relations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (Dallas, TX) in June 2017.

Interview

The first part was a phone interview with the hiring director where she asked basic questions like "Why do you think you'd be a good fit for TFA?" and "What 3 words would you use to describe yourself?". She then asked me why I chose each of the words I chose and how I thought they would help me in TFA. The second part was an in-person interview with the hiring director and head of the Alumni department. They asked more situational questions and how I would deal with difficult people and situations. They also asked me more about who I was in general and what I would contribute to TFA.

Interview Questions

• Do you deal with conflict well, and if so, what is your go-to method of dealing with it?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Interview

After answering some questions and providing a personal statement and resume online, I participated in an in-person interview that involved both an individual interview and group activity. We were required to give a teaching lesson in front of other applicants, which went well and was enjoyable.

Interview Questions

• Why was I interested in the position? Why had led me to apply?   Answer Question