Teach for America Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Teach for America Interview Questions

Updated Dec 5, 2017

3.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Ann Arbor, MI) in October 2017.

Interview

Interviewing with others is always a bit stressful, but they did a good job of establishing a sense of teamwork within the interview. The interviewers could answer questions limited to their own experience, but that is to be expected with as many regions as TFA has, and this doesn't matter as long as you do your research.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

In-depth. Pay attention to the core values within Teach For America, and you are rated based on those. Additionally, be comfortable with your lesson. The application may lead to a phone interview, but for me I jumped ahead to the final interview process. This might occur if you have previous Teach For America experience.

Managing Director, Information Security Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in September 2017.

Interview

I applied for the job directly on the website and a few weeks later I was contacted by an internal Director to interview for the position. First round was to see if the position and company was a fit. Immediately they moved to talking about salary requirements, i stated what I was looking for after doing research into the market and my salary history. They told me the max range they could pay and if i was interested in moving forward. I was still interested in having conversations with the team and moving forward in the process.

A week and a half later I had another interview this one more formal. We went through my background and experience, my personality to see if I would be a fit for the company goals, values and culture.

A week later I was told I would be having a phone interview with the Hiring Manager for the position and this was scheduled. The day of the interview I went to logon and find the specific job description to better prepare for the interview and found that the Title was changed to Senior Engineer. Parts of the job description were changed as well. I have never in my career experienced this type of bait and switch. No one had contacted me ahead of time to tell me about the change, and had I not logged into the Applicant Tracking System I would have never noticed.

The hiring manager tried to tell me during our interview time that the title was just changed to get more of a talent pool, but this process went south very quickly and was obvious that the talent pool was expensive for a Director, so they de-scoped to an engineer.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America in September 2017.

Interview

Very quick and easy interview process. Short 5-minute lesson presentation followed by group work and one hour 1-on-1 interview. Application process very straightforward and offer comes very soon after interview.

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chapel Hill, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Chapel Hill, NC) in September 2017.

Interview

They really make it seem like you are going to get the job - even if you aren't. The process was actually pretty fun and everyone I met was helpful and very nice.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ithaca, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Teach for America (Ithaca, NY) in September 2017.

Interview

I first filled out an online application, which included basic information and one essay prompt. After, I moved on to receive an in person interview which included a sample teaching lesson, group activity, and then personal interview

Interview Questions

• What is something that has been challenging for you as a leader?   Answer Question

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in July 2017.

Interview

The first interview discussed my qualifications and understanding of organization mission. The interviewer was very personable and shared information on her experience with company. The interview lasted about 45 minutes. This was a first round screening interview.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a challenge you faced and how you solved the problem?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Interview

After answering some questions and providing a personal statement and resume online, I participated in an in-person interview that involved both an individual interview and group activity. We were required to give a teaching lesson in front of other applicants, which went well and was enjoyable.

Interview Questions

• Why was I interested in the position? Why had led me to apply?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

Long. They make you think you have a real chance at getting a position. Don't be fooled and believe that you are being favored. These recruiters are being told to do so.

Alumni Relations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (Dallas, TX) in June 2017.

Interview

The first part was a phone interview with the hiring director where she asked basic questions like "Why do you think you'd be a good fit for TFA?" and "What 3 words would you use to describe yourself?". She then asked me why I chose each of the words I chose and how I thought they would help me in TFA. The second part was an in-person interview with the hiring director and head of the Alumni department. They asked more situational questions and how I would deal with difficult people and situations. They also asked me more about who I was in general and what I would contribute to TFA.

Interview Questions

• Do you deal with conflict well, and if so, what is your go-to method of dealing with it?   Answer Question