Teach for America Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 29, 2017

3.4

TFA Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Chicago, IL).

Interview

My interviewer shamed me for exiting an abusive situation. One of the questions she asked is when I left a commitment and I told her about when I was being physically abused on the job and had to end my contract early. This was apparently a mistake, because she would not stop mentioning it afterwards. She kept saying that they didn't know if I would be able to commit to TFA because I broke that contract previously. Let me just say that if a company is going to make people feel ashamed for leaving an abusive situation instead of trying to address the abuse, itself, that is a huge issue. In addition, there were several unprofessional aspects of the interview. Another applicant showed up almost an hour late, and they still let him interview! This was disrespectful to those of us who had actually been on time. Also, the interviewers kept forgetting to start their timers for the lesson plan portion of the interview, leading to some of the applicants to have a longer time than the others. I ended up withdrawing my application.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tuscaloosa, AL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Tuscaloosa, AL) in October 2016.

Interview

The first step is filling out a pretty in-depth questionnaire. It included pretty basic things like your GPA and why you would want to be a part of TFA. After applying, you find out a week or two later if you have been selected for an interview. After the in person interview, you find out if you have been selected to be a part of TFA.

Teach for America Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

The hiring process was one that was long, and clearly geared to elite current or recent college graduates, or elite graduates of good schools with a few years of work experience. During the interview process my own elite education got me to the "final interview" phase, where my nightmarish journey commenced. For grown-ups with say, 20 to 30 years of work or life experience TFA had you jump through hoops. My Carter administration transcripts in 2016! Really not reflective of much. There were short answers which were timed, but not correctly timed. So, set your phone to the 20 minute mark to make sure you get your answers in on time. The questions were about your experience in underserved communities and commitment to education inequities. But, really they want to know if you have big plans to work for TFA and then leverage that into something like an elite law school, medical school or business school which you would not be successful in getting into without the resume builder. There was very, very, very little emphasis on actual teaching, except for a ridiculous 5 minute lesson you are to give in front of your colleagues or should I say college students who in my case were mute and non-responsive to most others instead of interacting. The 5 minute lesson must be perfect. Bring posters, plan an interactive group activity keeping everyone busy. Make sure to state your objective and make sure you meet this objective. I got nervous, went off my well-rehearsed script and choked, which was the cloak of doom in an already doomed "ageism" or "person who worked full-time in the home" elitist scripted interview day. Now, mind you I have degrees from Yale, NYU and such with honors and years of experience, have tried many jury trials and want to return to work after family obligations are no longer such that I cannot work outside of the home. I want to teach and work in underserved schools. I have a recently minted degree with honors up the wazoo that would train me to be great in the classroom, but not necessarily in a five minute lesson where it is artificially limited and you are cut off at exactly five minutes. Kids don't have expiration dates, so while classes have time limits and there are lesson plans, it makes no sense to have a full day of interviews with most of the day pushing the "we create masters of the universe" who teach maybe for the two year commitment and then go on to great things and send our name throughout the world, instead of a full day of teaching related tasks. Instead, you will have an insane and inane policy question which as a group you will have to answer, which is the kiss of death for anyone who actually knows about education policy, because the TFA push is to talk about community and outreach and ... getting to see a pattern here, anything but actually supporting teachers in the classroom who might stay and teach after they have some experience doing so. So, be prepared to spend the day with people, who in my case, did not speak with each other during the breaks, showed themselves to be perfectly prepared with perfect five minute lessons, but no people skills, no ability to empathize. They will get offers.

Interview Questions

• Insanely focussed on my calendar method, instead of going off script and asking about my organizational skills related to the many complex jobs I have done in my legal and other career. It was clear that I had already been doomed and my interviewer at this point was just saying "yes" to any question I posed, such as "are you familiar with the old school Franklin planner" question to answer his question about my calendar. When he said "yes" and then asked follow-up questions, it was clear he had no idea about what a Franklin Planner or Day Timer was, or he would not have asked these questions.

Instead of focussing on my many experiences with kids or teaching or in communities with racial, educational and health care inequities, he stuck to his script which often began with "in your employment or school in the last four years", despite knowing that I had taken time away from paid employment to do things, like focus on personal and family issues (raising kids is not, in TFA land a full-time experience that might be perceived as helpful to teaching ummmmmm......... kids, nor would the experience of dealing with cancer or other issues of disability which might take one away from Masters of the Universe work, but would be directly related to one's ability to understand and inform others about facing hardships and working through them, but I digress). There will be a detailed "In the past four years, what experiences have you had in communities which were challenging and how did you handle them. If you have a skillful interviewer they will work from your resume and their script, if not, you will have a reading of the TFA mantra in artfully interjected, or not so artfully interjected into your life story. Be prepared to talk about your stamina, your flexibility and your promise to stick with it when you find yourself with only one week of classroom training before you are trained for an hour or so a day but in a class of real students depending on your teaching to learn for the rest of the school day during the five week summer program, and then plopped into a real school with real, needy and complex and culturally different students, too many at a time, with no formal instruction on the art of teaching that education programs would give you..... In other words, don't talk like I am writing about TFA, even if you understand that TFA these days is about perpetuating TFA more than hiring the best and the brightest to actually stay in the classrooms instead of the board or court rooms.

Learn the TFA Mantra over and over. Community building, raising kids up through positive reinforcement methods, and showing off the kids who leave the community to go to the elite ... oops there I go again.
      3 Answers

Manager, Learning Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Teach for America (Chicago, IL) in August 2016.

Interview

Applied online, received email for phone interview about 2 days later. Had phone interview, was told would hear next steps the following week. Received email following week saying they are not interested. Felt interview went well and was well qualified for the position. Would of loved to work for the company as I feel we have the same drive & want the best in education.

Teacher, Elementary School Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

The interview process consisted of a phone interview and then a group interview (I did the online group interview). Questions they asked for the phone interview was mostly about your application and past experiences. During the group interview, you had the chance of watching others demonstrate their 5 minute lesson and also teaching your own lesson. After, we were given a prompt and the interviewees needed to discuss and come to a conclusion together. Later that day, were the individual interviews. I thought the interview was fun and did not want it to end. I felt like I was talking to a good friend during the interview.

Director of Collective Impact Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

I submitted my resume by email and received a reply with dates and times available. It was an hour long interview over Skype. The interviewer understood the limitations of having to conduct the interview under less than optimal conditions. At the end of the interview, I was told when I could expect an email informing me of their decision.

Interview Questions

• When did I have difficulty working with a supervisor and how did I resolve the issue?   Answer Question

Impact and Recruitment Talent Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Baltimore, MD) in July 2016.

Interview

First, I was interviewed on the phone. I was then sent questions to write a 2-3 page written response before my one-on-one interview. It was a very pleasant experience. I applied for other positions and I never heard one way or another about them. It seems that you are only notified if you move on in the process, but not if they don't think you are qualified.

Interview Questions

• Share your vision and direction for this line of work?   Answer Question
    • What will success look like?   Answer Question
    • How would you address the difficulty in finding highly qualified candidates for positions of leadership in schools?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Teach for America (Berkeley, CA).

Interview

I was referred by a friend then spoke to an on campus recruiter. I submitted the online application and participated in a phone interview. That went well and I was given a final interview time. The final interview took up most of the day and I was given 5 minutes to teach a lesson to a group of around 8 people. There was a group interview and an individual interview.

TFA Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Charleston, SC).

Interview

Very long process and it takes a long time to hear back, after the final interview. Phone interview, online activity, in person interview, teach a lesson, 2 referrals and a recommendation. No indication if they like you or not during the final interview. The online activity was the most difficult part for me because the questions were hard to answer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (West Seattle, WA).

Interview

The interview process was very lengthy. I applied, was invited to a phone interview, invited to complete the online activity, invited to move to the final interview and rejected. I was saddened to hear I would not move on to join the Corp, but more so because I invested so much of my time into the process of interviewing and applying. The entire interview and application process took roughly 2 months or longer. The process needs to be shortened. If they are sure of not sending applicants to join the Corp, they should inform the applicants as soon as they know. It took 2 weeks after the final interview to find out I did not make it in. When I had my individual interview, the person did not want to hear what I had to say. The person seemed like she wanted to move onto the next person and finish my interview as fast as she could. During my final interview, I was convinced she already knew she did not want me to move on to the Corp.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you completed a project without any guidance?

Tell me about a time you were a leader or supervisor?

Have you ever quit anything?

Would you cut schools or funding for teachers? You are asked to pick where you would cut funding to. I felt this question was not something that could be answered in the very short amount of time given. There are so many aspects to take into consideration when thinking of such a complex issue such as this.
      Answer Question