Teach for America Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Teach for America Interview Questions

Updated May 24, 2017

3.4

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

On the interview day, you will start off with 5 minutes teaching with other candidates as your students. Then, there will be a group activity/discussion, you will be asked to discuss about an education-related problem with your group and come up with a solution. They will briefly talk about TFA and its impact, before an individual interview in the afternoon.

Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (Champaign, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

5 minute teaching lesson, group activity, time to learn about TFA and ask questions, then personal interviews. It was pretty laid back, and the interviewers were very nice. They made you feel comfortable - the teaching lesson was what people were really nervous about, but everyone was super nice and it was actually really fun.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to do TFA, time you missed a deadline, interpersonal conflicts   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

The application process was very extensive, and if you make it to the second round and are offered an interview, you are only given a few days to get letters of recommendation. I burned a bridge with an old professor by asking for it with such a quick turn around. The day of the interview, they make you block out an entire day from 9-5. The first part of the day you have to prepare a five minute mock lesson to present to two interviewers and about ten interviewees, and then with about four of the interviewees, you are presented with a situation as if you are on a school board and you have to deliberate possible solutions while an interviewer observes. Then you choose amongst yourselves when signing up for individual interview slots, the first starting immediately, the last requiring you to wait around for about five hours. Then, the individual interview lasts about an hour, mine a little longer. I was interviewed by a woman who worked in IT and had never been a corps member. I found that she was unable to answer many of my questions because they obviously had to do with the experience of teaching, the process, the training program, etc. She seemed annoyed that I kept asking questions she couldn't answer but I will not apologize for utilizing an interview for what it is meant to be, a forum for BOTH the interviewer AND the interviewee to determine if the position is a match. She also narrowed in on one leadership position I held in a club my freshman year, where I planned one event, kind of two, and repeatedly asked me to tell her about another event I planned in that position. She ignored my senior thesis and my junior year internship, and asked me this same question at least six times, at which point I clearly had no more experience in that position.

Interview Questions

• What's another event planning experience you had with your club? (x5)   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

It started with the 5 minute lesson plan and watching presentations. Then a small group conversation about a topic on an education issue. It ended with a 45 minute solo interview.

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Phone interview with basic questions; in-person interview with a group. Multiple activities including traditional interview and presentation of a lesson. At the end there was also a 1:1 interview.

Interview Questions

• How do you organize your short term and long term projects/deadlines?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Was reached out to a recruiter but did not get accepted. This process seems like a scam. It takes a few months to go through entire process. For application, then group interview with teaching a lesson plan.

Corps Member Interview

Interview

Once passing the 1st application phase, you go through a phone interview. During this interview they asked standard behavioral questions focusing on leadership skills. The difficult twist was that every question was within an obscure role on my resume, which I have heard is standard. The final round of interview was an all day experience. If you are truly passionate about the role and comfortable as a teacher it is not difficult. Interviewers were very friendly and welcoming.

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Extensive interview. Online application is the easiest part, but they require candidates to complete pre work before the final interview such as short answer responses to questions that require a lot of thought and time. Make sure to be prepared for the five-minute demo, include an evaluation of the students and make sure to know how to respond to wrong answers.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a project (they also ask class) you had a challenge with?
      They ask follow-up questions about it, when did you realize it was going to be challenging? What was the end result?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Houston, TX).

Interview

Online application, then you are notified if you have been selected for an interview...after this you have to upload transcripts, and enter all your credits and classes manually for all semesters online, and prepare for a 5 minute teaching lesson. The lesson can be any subject grades k-12....also you need to read some online material that will be used during a group activity in which the interviewers don't participate in, but just watch to see who is talking, or referencing the online material. The group has to act like school board members and have to make a ruling on a problem. There is no right or wrong answer to the ruling. Then you have a lunch break, sign up for your personal interview time slot, and wait. The personal interview is about an hour long. A week later they emailed us if we got the position or not. No reason is given if you are not hired.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Teach for America (Dallas, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

Recruiter reached out to me by email, she sounded very enthusiastic and scheduled an interview for me with another recruiter. Recruiter called late, and didn't ask a single question, he literally talked about himself the entire time. A week later I got a rejection with no reason given. This was so insanely unprofessional, they clearly had no intention to hire me, but wasted my time anyway.