Teach for America Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Teach for America Interview Questions

Updated Sep 3, 2017

3.4

Corp Member Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

The phone interview was all of the basic behavioral questions. One thing that I have not seen anyone else mention is to make sure you really create a connection with your interview. I think this is a good determination if you move forward. My interview was very friendly and reacted to my answers like a normal conversation as opposed to one of my friends who interviewed and she said her interviewer just said ok to all of her answers. This could be different for everyone.

Negotiation

Teacher Interview

Interview

Skipped phone interview. Taught a lesson on public speaking then interviewed about answers to a case study involving a principal who didn't want to implement some program.

Interview Questions

• Not difficult but be prepared to answer in a lot of detail how you keep organized   Answer Question

The college where I was supposed to get license was wayyyyyy to expensive and I read a lot I mean a lot of bad reviews of teach for america that soured my acceptance. Even school board meetings where teachers shunned TFA.

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

I had 3 rounds - a written, phone, and in-person interview. It may be 2 now, not sure about that.

I forget the specific questions, but just really understand what you are applying for. You have to show a strong commitment and that means things like talking to alumni and corps members, visiting schools, reading TFA blogs, learning about the education situation in the US, etc. If you can not put in that effort before the interview, there is no way you will survive the job.

Beyond this, most of the interview is behavioral - be able to talk about your experiences well. The questions were fairly standard, but just be prepared as it is difficult to think about anecdotes/examples on the spot.

The biggest difference between TFA interviews and most other places Ivy League kids apply to is that for TFA, you need to show that you really care about this issue and that you're a nice, humble person. You can survive a top consulting firm or I-bank being a jerk if you have strong analytic ability - but with TFA, no amount of smarts will help you if you can't get rid of your ego.

Finally, I'd recommend not trying to be someone you're not. If you need to put a persona to get into TFA, you're not fit for the experience and you're not going to like it. You can BS and tolerate your way through a corporate job to get to the next step in your career - but don't take that approach to TFA. TFA is an extremely tough but rewarding experience that requires an incredible amount of commitment to the cause.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation - you are paid by your school district.

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

The interview process is long and involved. Overall, there is nothing that is too difficult. The first part is a very simple online application, which involves submitting a resume and letter of intent. After that, there is a phone interview and you are required to fill out additional online forms. Next, there is a full day interview where you teach a sample lesson, discuss a topic in a group, and then have a one on one interview.

Interview Questions

• They asked me about different types of challenges I have faced - personal, academic etc.   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Interview

written application, Phone interview and then final interview

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

After submitting the online application, there is a phone interview that you may or may not have to complete. I skipped to the final interview which was in person. There was a 5 minute presentation that each interviewee had to deliver to display creativity and speaking skills. There was also a group conversation and a one-on-one interview.

Interview Questions

• The questions were not very difficult, however the role play was unexpected.   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Interview

You start off with an initial interview, and then most people get phone interviews as well. The phone interview lasts 30 minutes, and was pretty relaxed for me since it was with a former corps member and she was outgoing and very nice. The downside to the process is that the turnover time between the phone interview, being informed if you made it to the next round, and obtaining recommendations is very short. I had to ask for recommendations before I even knew if I made it to the final interview stage (which I didn't).

Interview Questions

• When was a time you had to work with someone and had a difficult time?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Long process...application with intent letter, then online activity, phone interview, final interview with sample lesson etc.

Interview Questions

• Difficult questions when it came to the role playing activity   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Interview

Applied online for the first interview process. Got an email saying I could skip the phone interview and go directly to the in-person interview. The in-person interview took about 3 or 4 hours with a group section and then a personal 1-on-1 interview. I was contacted about a month later and was told I was accepted.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you set a goal and didn't reach it. How did you recover?   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Interview

Lengthy initial online application, phone interview, then full-day interview. Make sure that you know their core values and what they are about as an organization. They are very data-driven and want to know specific examples of your leadership showcased through particular situations.