Teach for America Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Teach for America Interview Questions

Updated Jun 18, 2017

3.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

It started with the 5 minute lesson plan and watching presentations. Then a small group conversation about a topic on an education issue. It ended with a 45 minute solo interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

The application process was very extensive, and if you make it to the second round and are offered an interview, you are only given a few days to get letters of recommendation. I burned a bridge with an old professor by asking for it with such a quick turn around. The day of the interview, they make you block out an entire day from 9-5. The first part of the day you have to prepare a five minute mock lesson to present to two interviewers and about ten interviewees, and then with about four of the interviewees, you are presented with a situation as if you are on a school board and you have to deliberate possible solutions while an interviewer observes. Then you choose amongst yourselves when signing up for individual interview slots, the first starting immediately, the last requiring you to wait around for about five hours. Then, the individual interview lasts about an hour, mine a little longer. I was interviewed by a woman who worked in IT and had never been a corps member. I found that she was unable to answer many of my questions because they obviously had to do with the experience of teaching, the process, the training program, etc. She seemed annoyed that I kept asking questions she couldn't answer but I will not apologize for utilizing an interview for what it is meant to be, a forum for BOTH the interviewer AND the interviewee to determine if the position is a match. She also narrowed in on one leadership position I held in a club my freshman year, where I planned one event, kind of two, and repeatedly asked me to tell her about another event I planned in that position. She ignored my senior thesis and my junior year internship, and asked me this same question at least six times, at which point I clearly had no more experience in that position.

Interview Questions

• What's another event planning experience you had with your club? (x5)   1 Answer

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Filled out an online application, waited to hear about second round interviews. The interview took place over the course of a full day, including a sample lesson, a group activity and an individual interview. TFA sends materials about the interview process and that was very accurate as to how the day went.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Azusa, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (Azusa, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

I applied online in about an hour and was invited to an interview about 2 weeks later, scheduled the interview a week after that. My interview was about a month after that.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with conflict with others? Follow up: How did you prevent future conflict.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (Boston, MA) in March 2013.

Interview

The process starts with a paper application with essay questions to respond to, then there is a phone interview with a staff member and another phone interview with a current corp member. An in-person interview held with a whole group of applicants where you have to present a lesson, engage in discussions with your peers, and do a one-on-one interview with a staff member.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with trying to set up a field trip when you are told there is not funding available?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (Ann Arbor, MI) in February 2017.

Interview

The interview was an all day affair, starting in the morning with a group interview, and afternoon with a personal interview. For the group interview, you had to prepare a sample teaching lesson, which I recommend practicing ALOT. I went through by assignment about 20 times. You then break off into the personal interviews, where each person goes one at a time.

Interview Questions

• How do you stay organized?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Teach for America (Champaign, IL) in January 2015.

Interview

Whole process took over 2 months. Recruiter was very helpful. Very easy if you're willing to put in the work. Last interview consisted of 1-1 interviews as well as teaching a lesson in front of other applicants and interviewers.

Manager, Teacher Leadership Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Teach for America (Tulsa, OK) in April 2017.

Interview

The process was similar to corps member application, focused on teaching ideology and coaching habits. Many questions were centered around how you would deal with a difficult corps member, and how you would encourage diversity amongst your team.

Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (Champaign, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

5 minute teaching lesson, group activity, time to learn about TFA and ask questions, then personal interviews. It was pretty laid back, and the interviewers were very nice. They made you feel comfortable - the teaching lesson was what people were really nervous about, but everyone was super nice and it was actually really fun.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to do TFA, time you missed a deadline, interpersonal conflicts   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

It was long and tedious, and it was clear they wanted something specific in each round. Recruiters asking you too look very carefully at their core values. The first rounds were simple, just a phone call and then the final round you had to prepare a teaching segment which was more challenging. The final round one-on-one interview was okay, but it was a bit annoying the recruiter never bothered to look up and typed the whole time.

Interview Questions

• How do you keep organized?   1 Answer