Teach for America Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 5, 2017

3.4

344 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bowling Green, KY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Bowling Green, KY) in February 2017.

Interview

Was selected for a virtual group interview. It was a little bit awkward and intimidating. Had to do a 5 minute interactive sample teaching lesson. This was very difficult to do because of the virtual atmosphere. This was followed by an hour long one on one interview.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you ever missed a deadline   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Saint Louis, MO) in February 2017.

Interview

Begins with your five-minute sample lesson, then a group exercise. After that, we get to know the TFA employees in the room and about TFA in general, and then we break off into individual interviews. The individual interview lasts about an hour.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

It was long and tedious, and it was clear they wanted something specific in each round. Recruiters asking you too look very carefully at their core values. The first rounds were simple, just a phone call and then the final round you had to prepare a teaching segment which was more challenging. The final round one-on-one interview was okay, but it was a bit annoying the recruiter never bothered to look up and typed the whole time.

Corps Member Interview

Interview

online application, in-person interview. began in a group of 10 with 5 minute lesson plan demos. Very important to practice these and be very comfortable with presenting the lesson as well as answering possible questions by "students" who may have a tough time with the lesson. Then group activity discussing options concerning local school funding policies followed by a 1 on 1 interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chapel Hill, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Chapel Hill, NC) in January 2017.

Interview

After the initial online application, I met with a recruiter in person. I was invited to an in-person interview. Then there is a long written component to the application, involving multiple essay questions, called a "pre-interview activity", as well as several readings to complete. The in-person interview consisted of five-minute sample lesson plans, a group activity (you have to come to a consensus in a roleplaying scenario: closing failing schools vs. firing teachers. The answer they want is closing the schools), and then finally the one-on-one interview. I found this to be very impersonal; the interviewer takes extensive notes on their laptop while you explain your answers to questions that are basically a reiteration of the pre-interview essays. There's little to no eye contact, just the constant clicking of their typing. Yikes!

This entire process took about 2.5 months. Progress is drawn-out, and you have to jump through so many hoops (including finding references who are willing to write very detailed recommendation surveys, as well as manually typing out all of the courses on your college transcript). After all of this, I did not receive an offer, and was rejected with an impersonal form letter.

Part of me wonders if I did not get the job because there is a question on the financial aid part of the application asking if you own a car. I explained that I do not currently have a car, but that I will obtain one before I graduate. Unfortunately, I have no way of knowing why I was not accepted, because TFA refuses to provide feedback regarding admissions decisions. This, combined with their claim to provide a "holistic" assessment of your qualifications, makes it impossible to know whether one is being discriminated against. Since their application process is so rigorous and drawn-out, it seems the least they can do is provide feedback upon request. I feel as though I wasted so much time and energy on this process, and I am crushed that I did not get in; I really do believe in their mission. But overall, my experience was not positive. It was cold and impersonal.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had a disagreement with a superior   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY).

Interview

Met with a recruiter, submitted my application, made it to the final interview, before the interview there are several required steps and documents, then i had my final interview, and ultimately didnt get an offer

Interview Questions

• In person interview did't deviate from my resume with the exception of the expected "Why TFA".   Answer Question

Manager, Pre Corps Experience Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Teach for America in December 2016.

Interview

It was very smooth and detailed. The interviewer was very nice and made you feel comfortable. The interview was about an hour and we covered everything from TFA core values, job description, and how my current job allows me to be qualified.

Interview Questions

• To come up with a placement project plan for incoming corps members   1 Answer
    • Which core value do you feel best fits you   1 Answer

Associate, Program Operations Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Long. I heard back from TFA about three weeks after applying, had an hour long phone interview in the fourth week following submission of the application. I was then told, about three days after the phone interview that I would hear back from TFA to set-up an in-person interview following Thanksgiving (on December 9). The in-person would take place the week of December 12, and I could theoretically then start in the new year. Way too long of a process, so I withdrew my application.

Interview Questions

• What interests you about this position?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you were asked to take over the responsibility for a position that was already in progress.   Answer Question
    • Describe feedback you received from a supervisor that you disagreed with.   Answer Question

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

They make the first two steps of the process easy to get you into the final interview. Instead of focusing on my passion and genuine attitude in wanting to teach solely focused on my transcript because I withdrew from a class. Even after explaining I was working full time a college athlete and was homeless he harped on how the withdrawal from class. If you really want to help children teach go a different route

Interview Questions

• Why TFA? Biggest challenge you faced? Greatest accomplishment?   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Teach for America in November 2016.

Interview

The interview process took a very long time and required a lot of preparation. There were different stages with the final interview being with a group of applicants where you do a demo lesson and have a personal interview. Very time consuming.