Teach for America Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 19, 2017

3.4

800 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Once application is accepted, one must go though process of getting recommenders, filling out extra questions, and preparing a sample teaching lesson. The Interviewers provide a very supportive environment during the actual interview day. It begins with introductions, sample teaching, then group discussion, and then personal interviews.

Interview Questions

• Leadership roles and challenges faced during the leadership role.   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America in March 2017.

Interview

Very long process that took about a month to get through. I had a virtual interview which was very long with about 7 other interviewees. After the group interview, there was a personal interview the same day.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

The application process was very extensive, and if you make it to the second round and are offered an interview, you are only given a few days to get letters of recommendation. I burned a bridge with an old professor by asking for it with such a quick turn around. The day of the interview, they make you block out an entire day from 9-5. The first part of the day you have to prepare a five minute mock lesson to present to two interviewers and about ten interviewees, and then with about four of the interviewees, you are presented with a situation as if you are on a school board and you have to deliberate possible solutions while an interviewer observes. Then you choose amongst yourselves when signing up for individual interview slots, the first starting immediately, the last requiring you to wait around for about five hours. Then, the individual interview lasts about an hour, mine a little longer. I was interviewed by a woman who worked in IT and had never been a corps member. I found that she was unable to answer many of my questions because they obviously had to do with the experience of teaching, the process, the training program, etc. She seemed annoyed that I kept asking questions she couldn't answer but I will not apologize for utilizing an interview for what it is meant to be, a forum for BOTH the interviewer AND the interviewee to determine if the position is a match. She also narrowed in on one leadership position I held in a club my freshman year, where I planned one event, kind of two, and repeatedly asked me to tell her about another event I planned in that position. She ignored my senior thesis and my junior year internship, and asked me this same question at least six times, at which point I clearly had no more experience in that position.

Interview Questions

• What's another event planning experience you had with your club? (x5)   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

It started with the 5 minute lesson plan and watching presentations. Then a small group conversation about a topic on an education issue. It ended with a 45 minute solo interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Dallas, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied online, a few weeks later I received an email for the first interview stage. The first stage consists of reading a few articles and then answering questions about what you would do in that situation. Or what you thought about the scenario. I week or so later I received an offer for an in person interview. The second and final interview is a group interview. 2 members of TFA are present and 5 or so other interviewees. The day consists of a short 5 minute lesson plan. You must present one and participate in the other candidates lessons. Next, there are 2 case study scenarios and you must discuss with your group what you would do and why. The TFA employees conducting the interview give some prompting but that is all. Lastly, after a break you have a one on one interview.

Interview Questions

• They asked what you would do in a scenario where a school district was low on funding. Would you close one school and relocate students or cut a few teacher jobs?   Answer Question

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Phone interview with basic questions; in-person interview with a group. Multiple activities including traditional interview and presentation of a lesson. At the end there was also a 1:1 interview.

Interview Questions

• How do you organize your short term and long term projects/deadlines?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

On the interview day, you will start off with 5 minutes teaching with other candidates as your students. Then, there will be a group activity/discussion, you will be asked to discuss about an education-related problem with your group and come up with a solution. They will briefly talk about TFA and its impact, before an individual interview in the afternoon.

Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (Champaign, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

5 minute teaching lesson, group activity, time to learn about TFA and ask questions, then personal interviews. It was pretty laid back, and the interviewers were very nice. They made you feel comfortable - the teaching lesson was what people were really nervous about, but everyone was super nice and it was actually really fun.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to do TFA, time you missed a deadline, interpersonal conflicts   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Was reached out to a recruiter but did not get accepted. This process seems like a scam. It takes a few months to go through entire process. For application, then group interview with teaching a lesson plan.

Corps Member Interview

Interview

Once passing the 1st application phase, you go through a phone interview. During this interview they asked standard behavioral questions focusing on leadership skills. The difficult twist was that every question was within an obscure role on my resume, which I have heard is standard. The final round of interview was an all day experience. If you are truly passionate about the role and comfortable as a teacher it is not difficult. Interviewers were very friendly and welcoming.