Teach for America Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Teach for America Interview Questions

Updated May 24, 2017

3.4

Teacher/Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

1) There's an application process in which you have to fill out a lot of information about you first, and also includes a letter of intent and a resume that you have to fill and upload.

2) Then there's the phone interview. Which does ask you some personal questions about your interests and know more about you as a person. There's also an online activity to assess your "sound judgment" and "analytical skills".

3) Then there's the full day interview. It's not necessarily a full-day, but there's only about two interviewers on the site. You teach a lesson plan in the morning, followed by a personal interview in the afternoon. If you happen to get the last time slot from 4:20-ish to 5:00, then you pretty much stay the full day there.

Interview Questions

• At some point during the personal interview, they will ask about your responses from the online activity. Access to the activity was limited, so better be prepared to remember/take note of your responses!!   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Interview

There are three steps to the application process. 1.) An Application 2.) A phone Interview 3.) A day long final interview. They are very selective in their practices and they do not give you feedback so I am still unaware of what I did wrong during the final interview

Corps Member Interview

Interview

First there is a written application, next a phone interview, then an in person interview that includes a model lesson, a "group" activity, and a 1:1 interview. The written application is very straight forward--the phone call felt a little uncomfortable, because I could tell what they wanted me to say, but I stuck to my thoughts, and it worked! Don't fake it!

Interview Questions

• What would you do if your principal said "no" to the following ____? (Role play)   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiations--except I was specific about the grade I wanted to teach.

Teacher Interview

Interview

Application. I honestly think the most important part of the application is the essay. Read over their website extremely thoroughly and make sure you don't raise any red flags by sounding like a privileged college student who wants to come save the poor urban kids.

Phone Interview. Pretty straight forward. The interviewer was nice. 70% of the time was spent on one bullet of my resume. Don't know if that's normal lol. They ask questions about how your experiences relate to what you'd be doing in the classroom.

In-Person Interview
    Some of the questions were repeats of questions I'd been asked on the phone. They also asked a few questions about the online video. They asked how do I keep organized/manage my time, we talked about my resume some more. There was a role playing portion where the interviewer acted as a school administrator and I was a teacher requesting something.

Group Activity
    In my group this was excruciating. There were a number of douches that actively tried to monopolize all of the talking time. Getting in a word was difficult. It definitely felt like a competition lol. I would say try to make 4 or 5 good points, but don't be the main person talking.

Lesson Plan
    THE SIMPLER THE BETTER when it comes to your lesson. And don't procrastinate on it! It will take a lot longer than you think. I would say don't start it less than 5 days in advance. Present it at least 5 times to friends, timed. That's where I messed up *tear* lol

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you missed an assignment/deadline.   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Interview

The interview consists of an online application, a phone screen, and then an in-person interview where you teach a 5 minute sample lesson.

Interview Questions

• The teaching of the sample lesson was the thing that threw most people off - be prepared!   Answer Question

Negotiation

None

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Applied online at the last possible day. Got a phone interview. Invited for the final interview but declined

Core Member Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

There are 4 application rounds per year starting in the fall. The application is thorough and requires a personal statement. A phone interview follows and if you are invited for the onsite interview then you will be required to do a sample 5min teaching lesson and 1 or 2 face-to-face interviews.

Interview Questions

• Would there be any reason for you to leave the core/teaching profession during your 2 year commitment?   1 Answer

Corps Member Interview

Interview

It's a long and detailed interview process with a lot of what appears to be unnecessary paperwork (like manually entering all classes into the online system). I found the final interview round most challenging. I recommend meeting with TFA alumni to prepare for the final interview, like the mock teaching exercise.

Teach for America Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

The entire TFA application process is long and drawn out, but understandably so because they want to make sure you are truly a good fit for the corps. I was offered a final interview without a phone interview. The final interview was slightly nerve wracking--I was most concerned about the sample lesson, but that ended up being the easiest portion of the day. The two interviewers and other applicants were very enthusiastic about participating in the lesson. Much of the interview felt conversational, which was a nice surprise. During the group activity, they want to see that you are engaged and have ideas to contribute, so be vocal.

Interview Questions

• I was slightly taken aback by the role play scenario during the individual interview. In the situation, I was a teacher who wanted to take my children on a field trip but the assistant principal constantly denied the request; I was asked how I would handle this situation.   Answer Question

Two-year commitment was not fitting for my situation.

Interview

Focused around alignment with core values and your analysis skillset. Communication skills are crucial in this role, therefore expect a lot of role plays.

Interview Questions

• What did you achieve with your students? What does that mean for them? How do you know?   Answer Question