Teach for America Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Teach for America Interview Questions

Updated Jul 13, 2017

3.4

Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (Champaign, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

5 minute teaching lesson, group activity, time to learn about TFA and ask questions, then personal interviews. It was pretty laid back, and the interviewers were very nice. They made you feel comfortable - the teaching lesson was what people were really nervous about, but everyone was super nice and it was actually really fun.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to do TFA, time you missed a deadline, interpersonal conflicts   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

It was long and tedious, and it was clear they wanted something specific in each round. Recruiters asking you too look very carefully at their core values. The first rounds were simple, just a phone call and then the final round you had to prepare a teaching segment which was more challenging. The final round one-on-one interview was okay, but it was a bit annoying the recruiter never bothered to look up and typed the whole time.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

The interview process was rigorous, but that is to be expected. There a multiple components to the process including data analysis, creating a plan to help make a teacher more effective and phone/in person interviews.

TFA Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (Chicago, IL) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied online for TFA in their first hiring cycle of the year. I had to submit my resume and answer some essay questions on the general resume. I was connected with- and I cannot stress this enough- several different TFA reps that were to advise me in the interview process. A couple days later I received an invitation to schedule an in-person interview. For the in-person interview I was required to prepare a brief 5-minute lesson on anything (you could even do "how to tie your shoes") which I had to present to a group of other applicants. Many people did over-the-top props or visuals in their lessons which kept all of them from finishing their lesson in the allotted time. Those with simple lay outs and straightforward worksheets seemed the most successful. There were about 8 others besides myself and 2 recruiters. We had to solve a social issue communally. After the group portion, everyone in the room is assigned to one of the two recruiters and from then are required to sign up for a on-on-one interview for that day. I had mine immediately after. The interviewer was extremely friendly and she didn't ask anything out of the ordinary that I hadn't prepared for. It's important to understand TFA's mission and how you fit into it. I found the interview conversational and not nerve-wracking because I had the opportunity to meet and observe my interviewer during the group portion. That interview was around 45 minutes. Within a week I was extended an offer to join the 2017-18 corps. Since then I have been onboarding with TFA for and have an interview with a charter school that they facilitated. The process seemed overwhelming but was relatively simple and I was able to be myself and still get an offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a difficult challenge you've had to face and how you overcame it.   Answer Question

TFA Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

It was long. First, you must answer some pre-interview questions. Then, you are called for a phone interview. Then, you must answer more interview questions online. Then, there is 5 hour interview in-person or over video.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Chicago, IL) in January 2015.

Interview

I had a brief phone interview followed by a full day in person interview. Both were very involved behavioral questions but very relaxed. It is important to learn about Teach For America's mission and about educational inequity in the United States. It is also important to highlight leadership experience, volunteer or social justice work, and academic excellence.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to make a tough decision as a leader   Answer Question

High School Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Oakland, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

TFA has a rigorous hiring process, but for good reason--being a high school teacher in an urban, traditionally marginalized, under-resourced district necessitates a teacher who is deeply relatable, empathetic, smart, can work long hours, truly cares about students, can be a motivator, has high stamina and work ethic, and knowledge of the content. TFA wants to make sure you can build relationships while maintaining high expectations. Therefore, after submitting the initial application, there are various rounds of interviews: phone, 1:1, group, and a demo lesson.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with stress?   1 Answer

Recruitment Manager Interview

Interview

Someone from the organization reached out about RM role. 3 step process- initial application/essays- why do you want to do this, etc, then data analysis and video self, then in-person interview consisting of 1:1, data analysis, and a role play. Everyone is affirming, kind, and SUPER politically correct. Organization seeks to really emphasize core values/RM culture pillars.

Interview Questions

• How do you live out diversity?
      Tell about a time you had a ton to do and not enough time? How'd you stay organized/determine what to do?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America in July 2016.

Interview

Extensive interview with multiple rounds. Initial skype call, online application with essay, recommendations, etc. followed by phone interview. Questions about marketing campaign strategies and student outreach. Process took roughly three weeks.

Interview Questions

• Practice student organization presentation   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

On the interview day, you will start off with 5 minutes teaching with other candidates as your students. Then, there will be a group activity/discussion, you will be asked to discuss about an education-related problem with your group and come up with a solution. They will briefly talk about TFA and its impact, before an individual interview in the afternoon.