Teach for America Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Teach for America Interview Questions

Updated Jul 13, 2017

3.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (Boston, MA) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied through an online application. Then, I had an in person interview. The interview lasted all day. First, there was a group interview which included a 5 minute sample teaching lesson After a break, there was an individual interview in the afternoon.

Corps Member Interview

Interview

online application, in-person interview. began in a group of 10 with 5 minute lesson plan demos. Very important to practice these and be very comfortable with presenting the lesson as well as answering possible questions by "students" who may have a tough time with the lesson. Then group activity discussing options concerning local school funding policies followed by a 1 on 1 interview.

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Durham, NC) in January 2017.

Interview

Really long application process, and the interview day lasted pretty long as well. I had <10 people at my interview day, so luckily ours didn't stretch out too long. Everyone gave 5 minute lessons (I actually did not finish my lesson entirely, was cut off in my final group activity), and then there was a group "roleplaying" activity in which you were presented with an educational dilemma and had to discuss it with your fellow applicants, and then the interviewers talked and presented opportunities for questions. Then, you signed up for your individual interview session.

The individual interview lasted about 55 minutes, and in it I was asked to expand upon my resume and my pre-interview activity (if you are currently applying for TFA you should know what this is), and otherwise had a great discussion with the interviewer. We talked about why I'd chosen the volunteer and job opportunities I'd taken on in the past, what my roles were like, and asked to talk about the numbers (statistics of achievements I'd accomplished in my jobs) on my resume as well.

Make sure you practice, practice, practice your lesson. Leave yourself an extra minute for questions you WILL receive, because when you're up there and you're nervous, you're gonna stumble over your words and take longer than you planned. Make sure you've incorporated effective activities that will help you gauge the understanding of your "class."

I made sure to give thank you cards to the interviewers. Also, you're not competing with the other applicants on your interview day. Do your best to support them and help them be the best they can be, because all of you could get in if qualified. Ask easy but significant questions during their lesson so that you won't throw them off but give them a chance to show off their improv and question-answering skills, converse with them while waiting for your interview to start and get to know them, make sure you take the time to listen to everyone's opinions in the role-playing activity.

In the end, it is actually quite fun. I met some great people, made some new facebook friends, and got a chance to be a part of a rigorous process that makes other job interviews I've had seem like cake. If you care about education equalization, this is your chance to do something great. However, if you only want a resume builder, I'd suggest looking somewhere else. With the confirmation of Betsy DeVos, America's public education sector is going to need as many competent, experienced, and passionate teachers we can find to ensure that our children will be armed with the knowledge they need to succeed. For all the flack TFA receives, I do believe that that is still their mission.

TFA Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Ann Arbor, MI).

Interview

It was a group interview. You were given an issue and you had to figure out if you would vote yes or no on the resolution while working together.

Interview Questions

• How are you able to stay organized? Why are you passionate about this organization?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chapel Hill, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Chapel Hill, NC) in January 2017.

Interview

After the initial online application, I met with a recruiter in person. I was invited to an in-person interview. Then there is a long written component to the application, involving multiple essay questions, called a "pre-interview activity", as well as several readings to complete. The in-person interview consisted of five-minute sample lesson plans, a group activity (you have to come to a consensus in a roleplaying scenario: closing failing schools vs. firing teachers. The answer they want is closing the schools), and then finally the one-on-one interview. I found this to be very impersonal; the interviewer takes extensive notes on their laptop while you explain your answers to questions that are basically a reiteration of the pre-interview essays. There's little to no eye contact, just the constant clicking of their typing. Yikes!

This entire process took about 2.5 months. Progress is drawn-out, and you have to jump through so many hoops (including finding references who are willing to write very detailed recommendation surveys, as well as manually typing out all of the courses on your college transcript). After all of this, I did not receive an offer, and was rejected with an impersonal form letter.

Part of me wonders if I did not get the job because there is a question on the financial aid part of the application asking if you own a car. I explained that I do not currently have a car, but that I will obtain one before I graduate. Unfortunately, I have no way of knowing why I was not accepted, because TFA refuses to provide feedback regarding admissions decisions. This, combined with their claim to provide a "holistic" assessment of your qualifications, makes it impossible to know whether one is being discriminated against. Since their application process is so rigorous and drawn-out, it seems the least they can do is provide feedback upon request. I feel as though I wasted so much time and energy on this process, and I am crushed that I did not get in; I really do believe in their mission. But overall, my experience was not positive. It was cold and impersonal.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had a disagreement with a superior   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Teach for America (Washington, DC) in January 2017.

Interview

First you submit your application with the first essay question explain why you want to join tfa in 500 words or less, in addition to your resume and other materials. If you are accepted you will be invited to an interview and asked to complete 6 other short pre-interview responses. For the interview they ask you to spend the full day first a five minute lesson plan on the topic of your choice. Afterwords all the interviewees work together to figure out how to solve certain scenarios. Then you are split up and given an individual interview with a TFA recruiter/alumni.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America in January 2017.

Interview

1) 5 minute sample teaching lesson
    2) 15-20 minute group problem-solving and consensus building activity
    3) 20-30 minute presentation on Teach for America, its mission, and areas of particular need
    4) Sign up for individual interviews based on availability
    5) 45 minute individual interview

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY).

Interview

Met with a recruiter, submitted my application, made it to the final interview, before the interview there are several required steps and documents, then i had my final interview, and ultimately didnt get an offer

Interview Questions

• In person interview did't deviate from my resume with the exception of the expected "Why TFA".   Answer Question

Manager, Pre Corps Experience Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Teach for America in December 2016.

Interview

It was very smooth and detailed. The interviewer was very nice and made you feel comfortable. The interview was about an hour and we covered everything from TFA core values, job description, and how my current job allows me to be qualified.

Interview Questions

• To come up with a placement project plan for incoming corps members   1 Answer
    • Which core value do you feel best fits you   1 Answer

Elementary Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (Miami, FL) in December 2016.

Interview

After you apply you will receive notification of an interview. From there, you will sign up for an interview that should take up about half of your day (it says the entire day, but it doesn't take THAT long). The interview day is very intense and everyone is nervous. It is a group interview with about 10 people and 2 interviewers. First part is a 5 minute sample lesson plan that you have already pre-prepared. You only get 1 minute to set up your lesson, so take that into consideration when planning your lesson. They are SUPER strict with time! Then, you have a group discussion with the other 10 applications where you are given a school related problem and have to come up with a solution as a group. Then, you have your one-on-one interview. The website said this would be an hour, but it was only 25 minutes for me. The person who went before only had a 10 minute interview.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to join TFA?   1 Answer