Teach for America Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Teach for America Interview Questions

Updated Feb 20, 2017

3.4

Recruitment Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America in January 2016.

Interview

HR was very professional, and interview questions were pretty typical. They ask you to review their core values ahead of time, so you know you're going to discuss them. They also let me know that I didn't get the offer, and I appreciated the fact that they did this since a lot of companies don't nowadays.

Interview Questions

• Which one of our core values resonated with you the most?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (San Francisco, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

I currently live abroad and was able to do a phone interview via Skype.

My interviewer was very friendly.

Be prepared to answer questions that show off your ability as a Manager. They want to know you are capable of setting goals and reaching them.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Middletown, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Middletown, CT) in January 2016.

Interview

TFA has multiple “rounds” built into the year in which you can apply to any one of them at any time. You would first need to apply online and provide basic information including your education and writing answers to case questions. The application is straight forward and does not ask if you have prior teaching experience but make sure to upload a resume with lots of leadership roles.

After submission, your application will be reviewed and will be chosen or rejected from a phone interview. Some applicants are able to skip over the phone interview and head straight into the group interview but it is not specified on how this works.

If you were chosen to move onto the phone interview, it usually last anywhere from 35 minutes to an hour. Passing the phone interview will allow you to move onto the group interview at a location of your choice. Before then you would need to finish another section of the application which includes uploading materials, choosing your preferences, etc.

The group interview is the final step. You would need to present a teaching lesson in front of a group of about 12 people including 2 or more TFA corps members. You will then proceed to a group discussion and then finally your one on one interview.

Lastly you will wait another two or three weeks for a final answer.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Final interview was collaborative and long. It involved a group activity about school funding cuts, short lessons from the entire group of interviewees, and a one-on-one interview. There was also a presentation on educational equity during which questions were welcomed. The interview was altogether a positive experience and not as intimidating as it sounds.

Interview Questions

• The interview picked a very specific and obscure part of my resume and asked me a number of questions about it, including challenges in that position and how I overcame them.   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America in December 2015.

Interview

Very long process, from online application to final interview. I understand why the process is so in-depth but I feel they are not looking at the right details.

Of course, this is just my opinion, but it felt like the characteristics they were looking for were made very clear and were more focused on the applicant's resume and less so on the applicant's character, fit, dedication, personality, etc, which was disappointing.

I could see the pain in my interviewer's eyes when I answered a question "wrong", which is to say not exactly how she had to check it off on her sheet, because she liked me and wanted me to do well. Unfortunately, I felt like I was interviewed on a checklist of very specific traits instead of on my overall ability to thrive as a teacher and student advocate.

Definitely worth a shot, at the end of the day teachers will be teaching students who really need their support. Doesn't matter how you feel about the program itself because it should be the kids that matter in the end!

Teach for America Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in December 2015.

Interview

The Interview process was very typical. It included a phone interview, online work, and in-person interview/lesson plan. While the people were all friendly the entire interview process was rather lengthy and it felt like parts of it were too time consuming and unnecessary. The worst part about the entire process was that the person who interview me on the final day made it sound like I was going to get an offer. He said "I'm going to strongly recommend for you to get an offer." Its just very frustrating when they were so misleading and I ended up not getting an offer.

Interview Questions

• Under what circumstances would you leave TFA?   1 Answer

Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Cleveland, OH) in December 2015.

Interview

I applied in October, and do not find out if I get the position until January. Intensive interview process. Online application, then phone interview, the in person. The in person interview lasts all day. It is nerve wracking, but definitely worth it because they really want to make sure you can handle the job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Claremont, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Claremont, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

First you have to submit an online application with three short answer questions. Within a week, you are notified if you are selected for a phone interview. After the phone interview, you may be invited for a full day interview. The full day interview consists of a 5 minute sample teaching lesson and a group activity in the morning. In the afternoon, you have a 40 minute personal interview that consists mainly of behavioral questions. Overall, it was a comprehensive but generally positive interview experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Philadelphia, PA) in December 2015.

Interview

Application with essay questions, phone interview and in person interview. The in person interview required preparation. They had required readings, which we did not go over at all. And the majority of time was spent talking about what teach for America does.

Project Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Seattle, WA) in November 2015.

Interview

I applied online and received a request for a phone interview a couple of days later. The phone interview was pretty basic and not extremely hard. I spent about 30-45 min o the phone with a recruiter. She was nice and personable. I was directed to familiarize myself with their core values prior to our meeting.

Interview Questions

• -Which one of our core values resonates with you?
      -What about TFA mission resonates with you?
      -Why did you leave your last role?
      -Walk me through your resume and discuss your previous jobs/duties.
      -What makes you qualified for this position?
      -Why do you want to work for TFA?
      -How do you stay organized?
      -What are you career goals?
      -What types of projects do you enjoy coordinating?
      -Tell me about a project success you achieved. How did you do it?
      -Tell me about a project challenge?
      -What project management software tools have you used?
      -Which project management philosophy have you used?
      Answer Question