Teach for America Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Teach for America Interview Questions

Updated Jul 26, 2017

3.4

Associate, Program Operations Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Long. I heard back from TFA about three weeks after applying, had an hour long phone interview in the fourth week following submission of the application. I was then told, about three days after the phone interview that I would hear back from TFA to set-up an in-person interview following Thanksgiving (on December 9). The in-person would take place the week of December 12, and I could theoretically then start in the new year. Way too long of a process, so I withdrew my application.

Interview Questions

• What interests you about this position?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you were asked to take over the responsibility for a position that was already in progress.   Answer Question
    • Describe feedback you received from a supervisor that you disagreed with.   Answer Question

Application

Interview

There was an online application, plus an in person-interview (I skipped the phone interview process). The in-person interview was intense, a written test, a group cooperative activity, a sample lesson and then an individual interview.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever quit anything or would you ever consider quitting anything?   Answer Question

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

They make the first two steps of the process easy to get you into the final interview. Instead of focusing on my passion and genuine attitude in wanting to teach solely focused on my transcript because I withdrew from a class. Even after explaining I was working full time a college athlete and was homeless he harped on how the withdrawal from class. If you really want to help children teach go a different route

Interview Questions

• Why TFA? Biggest challenge you faced? Greatest accomplishment?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

You start in groups doing 5 minute teaching samples and act as students for other applicants while they teach. You then went to a group problem solving scenario involving opening/closing a school and accessibility/equity -- here is where they expected you to use your judgement as well as touch on pre-interview readings which were essentially relevant articles about educational equity and minority communities in America. Lastly, you were taken into separate rooms for one on one interviews where they asked you more about specifics on your resume and about the questions you answered in the online application

Interview Questions

• What does your typical week look like and how do you stay organized with it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Chicago, IL) in November 2016.

Interview

First, everyone in the interview gave their sample lesson plan. Then, we were given a short introduction to Teach For America and the experiences of our interviewers in the Corps. Then, we did a group activity, and then had our personal interview times.

Government Affairs Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

I received an email asking for a preliminary screening call. I spoke to someone who helped head up the office I would be located at and she was pleasant and enthusiastic. Once I got through that, I was asked to complete a presentation for a potential legislative issue. Unfortunately, their salary range was well below what I anticipated so I withdrew my candidacy.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Teach for America in November 2016.

Interview

The interview process took a very long time and required a lot of preparation. There were different stages with the final interview being with a group of applicants where you do a demo lesson and have a personal interview. Very time consuming.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Chicago, IL).

Interview

My interviewer shamed me for exiting an abusive situation. One of the questions she asked is when I left a commitment and I told her about when I was being physically abused on the job and had to end my contract early. This was apparently a mistake, because she would not stop mentioning it afterwards. She kept saying that they didn't know if I would be able to commit to TFA because I broke that contract previously. Let me just say that if a company is going to make people feel ashamed for leaving an abusive situation instead of trying to address the abuse, itself, that is a huge issue. In addition, there were several unprofessional aspects of the interview. Another applicant showed up almost an hour late, and they still let him interview! This was disrespectful to those of us who had actually been on time. Also, the interviewers kept forgetting to start their timers for the lesson plan portion of the interview, leading to some of the applicants to have a longer time than the others. I ended up withdrawing my application.

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tuscaloosa, AL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Tuscaloosa, AL) in October 2016.

Interview

The first step is filling out a pretty in-depth questionnaire. It included pretty basic things like your GPA and why you would want to be a part of TFA. After applying, you find out a week or two later if you have been selected for an interview. After the in person interview, you find out if you have been selected to be a part of TFA.

Application

Interview

Very thorough interview process with 3 separate rounds. First round is pretty easy with answering questions and submitting your resume. If you make it to the next round, that is a phone interview. The final round is an in-person and group interview.

Interview Questions

• The final interview is a group-teach interview and then an in-person one-on-one interview. For the teaching assignment, you are given 5 minutes to teach a mini-lesson to the other applicants in the room. This interview ends with a role-play scenario that you are given the day of the interview and then a one-on-one.   1 Answer