Teach for America Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 9, 2017

3.4

334 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

Mainly focused on leadership and how I handled particular situations. They asked a lot about conflict resolution and how you handled dealing with a troublesome party or situation. They also were very concerned about any past experience with tutoring or teaching.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

Online application, then phone interview. sample lesson plan (time sensitive). group work- need to figure out a problem for a school environment. then 1/1 interview. Very important to do timing for lesson plan. You are also a student for the rest of the people in your group

Interview Questions

• Describe an experience when you worked with a group? How were you successful? How were you not successful?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (Chicago, IL).

Interview

The interview process was very in depth and took a lot of time. The actual final interview was a day long and very intensive. Needed to make a lesson plan and give the lesson in front of the other interviewees. There was a lot of pre-work to the interview both online and in person. I would definitely still recommend TFA, even without an offer.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

The interview was incredibly time consuming, from when you first apply you are in the process for months. Additionally I had to prepare a lesson to teach, with very few guidelines. I felt that the interview was more focused on feelings rather than on measured achievement and student results. Additionally I asked questions about some of the common criticisms of Teach for America, and while I know I was not a perfect applicant I think that may have been part of the reason I was not offered a position.

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America in February 2016.

Interview

First you must fill out an extensive online application that includes your resume, GPA for each semester of college, and personal questions as to why you want the position. After the online applications are turned in they choose people for thirty minute phone interviews. The phone interview seemed too scripted and unnatural. I was asked about only one specific thing on my resume and they related every question back to that activity. This was hard for me because it didn't necessarily relate back to TFA. I felt like the conversation was forced and the interviewer wasn't super friendly or engaging.

Interview Questions

• Do you keep a planner and if so what does it look like?   Answer Question

Manager, Grants and Public Partnerships Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Philadelphia, PA) in February 2016.

Interview

The interview process was long and very thorough, which can be good or bad, depending on who you are. I enjoyed it because it gave me the opportunity to really understand if this workplace would be a good fit for me, and also saved me the worry that I was jumping into a role without all of the information. They really want to know if you are ready for a position with them, which made me feel confident in the rest of the team.

TFA Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

The interview process was quite long, took about three months until the final decision was made. There is an online application, phone interview, online activity, 1:1 interview, and a group sample teaching lesson. The first steps in the process are self explanatory, it is the interview day that requires the most preparation. Final interview day was fun and interactive and I enjoyed the entire process. Had to design a 5 minute sample lesson to present to the other candidates.

Teaching Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Teach for America (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

Extremely intensive application and interview process. Online application followed by online activity and full-day in-person interview that involved a sample teaching lesson and a one-on-one interview. I did not have to do the normal phone interview. Overall, the process was not too bad, just very long and a lot of work.

Interview Questions

• They asked me a lot of questions about one particular part of my resume.   Answer Question

Teach for America Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Athens, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Athens, OH) in February 2016.

Interview

The interview process is extremely long and extensive. They make you jump through hoops, they get your hopes up, they have people contact you to encourage you to continue in your application process, and they have you fill out a preliminary application that is so extensive that it seems more suitable for adopting a child or becoming a FBI agent.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Chicago, IL) in February 2016.

Interview

The first interview was on the phone where I was a lot of STAR Method questions. Then I was asked for an in-person interview a few months later. This was comprised of a teaching presentation in front of other candidates. Then you had to answer a group question. Finally you sat down with a TFA representative who asked you similar questions to the phone interview.