Teach for America Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Teach for America Interview Questions

Updated Jan 8, 2018

3.4

Teaching Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America in October 2016.

Interview

It was involved and long at times. Over all through which is important. The recruiters helped a lot but overall I felt like I was not sure what specific qualities they cared for.

Interview Questions

• The questions were good but sometimes too broad.   1 Answer

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Teach for America in November 2016.

Interview

The interview process took a very long time and required a lot of preparation. There were different stages with the final interview being with a group of applicants where you do a demo lesson and have a personal interview. Very time consuming.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

Long. They make you think you have a real chance at getting a position. Don't be fooled and believe that you are being favored. These recruiters are being told to do so.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Philadelphia, PA).

Interview

Apply online, then go in for a group interview (Super day esque). I applied for the junior early deadline.
    Online process is pretty straightforward - make sure you submit things on time and have someone read your essays for feedback/grammar. Try to polish up your resume and focus on achievements (with numbers). Obviously, be politically correct.
    In person day - teaching lesson is stressful, prep prep prep. Have some sort of props like handouts to use. Dig around on TFA website/internet to help prepare. Stick with simple lessons and have all your info written out ahead of time (name, subject .. etc). Practice and time yourself !!
    1 on 1 interview is a bit strange, make sure you can highlight leadership achievements and results. Pretty standard questions you'd expect in an interview, similar to the ones on here. Not too stressful, 45 min

Try to appear polished throughout the process, practice !! everything, look over the 8 things they want in candidates/mission.

Elementary Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (Miami, FL) in December 2016.

Interview

After you apply you will receive notification of an interview. From there, you will sign up for an interview that should take up about half of your day (it says the entire day, but it doesn't take THAT long). The interview day is very intense and everyone is nervous. It is a group interview with about 10 people and 2 interviewers. First part is a 5 minute sample lesson plan that you have already pre-prepared. You only get 1 minute to set up your lesson, so take that into consideration when planning your lesson. They are SUPER strict with time! Then, you have a group discussion with the other 10 applications where you are given a school related problem and have to come up with a solution as a group. Then, you have your one-on-one interview. The website said this would be an hour, but it was only 25 minutes for me. The person who went before only had a 10 minute interview.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to join TFA?   1 Answer

Director, Alumni Engagement Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America in May 2016.

Interview

Due to me being in a different location than the hiring organization, a phone interview was conducted with an associate. The person I spoke with conducted the interview in a conversation-style manner; which made the process less stressful.

Soon, I was emailed and directed to do a second phone interview, with the hiring manager. The second phone interview experience was very similar to the first. I was asked to conduct a virtual roundtable interview on the Google Hangouts platform. Due to connection issues, the interview ended up being conducted by phone.

This time, along with questions being asked, role play was instituted. I was given several scenarios to act out.

At the conclusion of the interview, there were suggestions made to send any artifacts that support my ability to work in the desired position. I agreed, and stated that I had a plethora of artifacts to send, by email.

After getting off of the phone, I proceeded to send a number of digital artifacts to the hiring manager.

I never heard from anyone about this position, ever again. I assumed that I didn't get the job; but I emailed to check the status of the position, anyway. No response, at all.

I found it disheartening, as TFA requires quite a bit of preparation work (in the form of assignments) to be done; no matter what round the interview process is in.

This isn't the first time I dealt with TFA (applied for another position, in a different location); and I got a lot of run-around, while the interviewers showed major interest.

Interview Questions

• What would be your approach in the first 3 months to put you on a path to achieve goals? Provide example strategies and timelines for implementation.   Answer Question

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

There was a team interaction part of interview (assess which two policies were better for the team and why), mock teaching and individual interview. The individual interview was pretty standard (biggest challenge and how you overcame it, what do you do when things don't meet your expectations, etc etc).

Interview Questions

• What was your biggest challenge and how did you overcome it?

Tell me about how you deal with disappointment.   Answer Question

Cops Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Athens, OH

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (Athens, OH) in October 2016.

Interview

Very comfortable, nerve wracking at first because it is a group interview, but you get warmed up to everyone. The lesson is somewhat like an ice breaker. The only issue was that you had to have 5 hours blocked for the interview time. The interview lasted very long.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

It started with the 5 minute lesson plan and watching presentations. Then a small group conversation about a topic on an education issue. It ended with a 45 minute solo interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

The application process was very extensive, and if you make it to the second round and are offered an interview, you are only given a few days to get letters of recommendation. I burned a bridge with an old professor by asking for it with such a quick turn around. The day of the interview, they make you block out an entire day from 9-5. The first part of the day you have to prepare a five minute mock lesson to present to two interviewers and about ten interviewees, and then with about four of the interviewees, you are presented with a situation as if you are on a school board and you have to deliberate possible solutions while an interviewer observes. Then you choose amongst yourselves when signing up for individual interview slots, the first starting immediately, the last requiring you to wait around for about five hours. Then, the individual interview lasts about an hour, mine a little longer. I was interviewed by a woman who worked in IT and had never been a corps member. I found that she was unable to answer many of my questions because they obviously had to do with the experience of teaching, the process, the training program, etc. She seemed annoyed that I kept asking questions she couldn't answer but I will not apologize for utilizing an interview for what it is meant to be, a forum for BOTH the interviewer AND the interviewee to determine if the position is a match. She also narrowed in on one leadership position I held in a club my freshman year, where I planned one event, kind of two, and repeatedly asked me to tell her about another event I planned in that position. She ignored my senior thesis and my junior year internship, and asked me this same question at least six times, at which point I clearly had no more experience in that position.

Interview Questions

• What's another event planning experience you had with your club? (x5)   1 Answer