Teach for America Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Teach for America Interview Questions

Updated Mar 25, 2017

3.4

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America in April 2016.

Interview

I submitted an online application which was followed up by an invitation to a phone interview. After passing this initial interview, I was then invited to the final interview in person.

Interview Questions

• Questions were related working through challenges, previous teaching experiences, time management and elaboration of application / resume.   Answer Question

Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

The actual interview involved 2 people, one who was documenting everything I said and asked the occasional question and the other was the primary leader. The interview itself lasted about 45 minutes with 15 minutes allotted for any questions I might have. Afterwards, they always kept me in the loop throughout the whole process via email and phone. Awesome experience!

Interview Questions

• They had a couple of role playing scenarios, which puts you on the spot and you need to be quick thinking as well as data analysis. Also asked a question about what was a misconception people have of you that changes once they get to know you.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No Negotiating .

Educator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (Atlanta, GA) in April 2016.

Interview

It was fair. I enjoyed the experience. I would do it again. It was very long. You got to meet other like minded people. A good time was had by all.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was not one at all.

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Columbus, OH) in April 2016.

Interview

There was an extensive application with three references, then I was accepted for an interview. The virtual interview lasted a few hours. There was a group interview, where they explained the mission of TFA, then they had us (maybe 12 people) work together to come to a conclusion on a hard decision regarding letting go of teachers or closing a school. Following, we signed up for personal interviews. My interviewer was very kind and full of helpful information. She didn't ask any curveballs-- she mainly wanted to know how I handled responsibility and conflict in the past. I heard back maybe a couple weeks later and recruiters reached out to me multiple times to offer more information. They also continued to contact me after I turned down my offer. They really went out of their way to reach out and open the channel of communication, which was really helpful.

Interview Questions

• When did you work on something that didn't necessarily go according to plan and how did you handle that situation?   Answer Question

I disagreed ethically with the program's means

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Grueling. Begins with an invite or rejection to a phone interview, then an interview where you present a lesson plan, then do a group activity, then finally have the interview. I am not sure what they were looking for at this point.

Interview Questions

• About difficult times in your life, time management, how you solve problems, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Teach for America (Dallas, TX).

Interview

Apply online, phone interview (roughly 30 mins), final interview. The final interview is what takes the most preparation. You have to submit several documents, gather two recommenders and a reference, and prepare a 5 min lesson. The interview itself takes all day and consists of a group activity, the lessons, a presentation and finally the one-on-one interview.

Teach for America Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY).

Interview

Long, a few months time. Online app was first step. Then there was a phone interview, then a final interview which included a mock teaching lesson for 5 minutes, a group discussion, and a personal interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (San Francisco, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

The hiring process included a written application, phone interview, online activity, and in person final interview. The final interview included the presentation of a 5 minute lesson plan with 1 minute of prep time. I saw many people go over their prep time and then go on to not finish their lesson in the remaining time. They had a struct cut off at the end of the 5 minutes.

Interview Questions

• What did you take away from the most challenging course you've taken and what did it teach you about how you would like to run your classroom?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Chicago, IL) in March 2016.

Interview

30 minute phone interview, then I was invited to an in person interview. Questions are very specific based on leadership experience on application, so they guide you to talk about specific examples and positions. Interviewers are very kind and strongly believe in TFA mission.

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America in March 2016.

Interview

The interview process is pretty long and intensive --- they're really looking to see how you operate as a leader. They'll focus a lot more on leadership experiences rather than experiences you have in a classroom.