Cover image for Teach for America

Is this your company?

Add an Interview

Teach for America Managing Director Interview Questions

Updated Mar 20, 2022

To filter interviews, or .
Found 13 of over 1.1K interviews

Recruiter8%
3.3
HardAverageEasy

Teach for America

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America

Interview

Submitted application and was invited for first round with two interviewers a few days after. Standard first interview, friendly team. Was invited to complete a written assignment and then received email asking for my salary requirements. They were outside range for the role. Was not invited to next round.

Interview Questions
  • Can you talk about a time when you had to communicate with someone across differences?
    Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Los Angeles, CA) in Nov 2021

Interview

It all begins with a smooth application process. From initial online application to reference checks, TFA follows a thorough process that assesses your unique skills and experiences as they relate to the role you’re applying for. They also determine that your motivations fit with their mission and the core values that make Teach For America a unique workplace. There are five basic steps in the application process, which combined take about six-to-10 weeks to complete. These steps allow you to take the time to determine if TFA is the right fit for you and your aspirations, as well.

Interview Questions
  • What is one success or achievement from past roles that you would like to replicate at TFA?

What people are saying about Teach for America

Join the conversation on

Teachers

197.7K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/teachers/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Interviews&utm_content=Employer-content-integrated-Interviews&utm_term=Teach for America~105049
Join the conversation on

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Teach for America (Nashville, TN) in Jan 2021

Interview

Application was very lengthy with written portion and then the first interview was very awkward. Recorded myself answering the questions. I think I would have done better talking to a human.

Interview Questions
  • A lot of questions about racial and cultural equity and less about the actual position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in NONE

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (NONE) in Apr 2018

Interview

My initial interview was done through Spark hire. The system kept crashing and it was very difficult to focus on questions while the tech part kept having problems. I got an error message several times after I would record my answer. I just felt like it wasn’t personable at all. Someone watched me answer a 3 part question in 60 seconds and decided I wasn’t a good candidate. I had 4 total questions and all of them were meaty (asking multiple things) with only 60 seconds to answer. The the last question was do you have any questions for us. I asked two questions and never received an answer from anyone. I also sent an email asking for feedback and never received a response. The experience wasn’t great. But I still believe in what TFA is doing and hope they find the best candidate for the position.

Interview Questions
  • Why I was interested in TFA, this job, and the city it was located in.
1 person found this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in Jun 2016

Interview

went through various interview stages, submitted work sample, interviewed with several stakeholders, conducted phone interviews (no in person), the process took about 2-3 weeks, was able to get everything set up virtually, made good connections with people

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Indianapolis, IN) in Dec 2014

Interview

I applied for a VP position and was invited to talk with a HR manager. He expressed interest in my qualifications, but asked me to consider a different, less senior, more recent role of managing director. It was a nice conversation and I decided to learn more about the MD role. A few weeks later I was invited to complete a short writing exercise and to interview with two senior staff members. We talked for about 75 minutes, and their questions were standard and felt fair. I thought it was a good conversation, and that we could be a good fit for each other. Then, things took a turn for the worse: they pledged to reach out within the week, and it was 3+ weeks before I heard from them again. When they did reach out they said, "Sorry, we were traveling, would you like to participate in a second timed writing exercise." I agreed, but when they sent that late without apology I decided to opt out of the process entirely. It ultimately felt a little disrespectful - I sensed a bit of hubris in their operations and remote communications, which worried me given the nature of the role.

Interview Questions
  • Tell us about a time you had to manage various stakeholders to achieve your goals.
1 person found this interview helpful

Teach for America

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America

Interview

There were a total of six interviews in total and all of them were virtual. One of the interviews had a case study which i had to define a plan and present to a group.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Teach for America

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America

Interview

The phone interview was very structured. The Talent Director gave me a clear framework of what we would speak about, and for how long. At the end of the interview, she gave me a clear picture of the hiring process and a date by which I would hear from her, if I were to be selected for an in-person interview. often, they ask management-level staff to complete a sample project or report before the second interview.

Interview Questions
  • The questions were pretty standard: Tell me about your greatest success, tell me about a time that you resolved a conflict with a colleague, etc.
3 people found this interview helpful

Teach for America

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 months. I interviewed at Teach for America in Sep 2013

Interview

As many have already mentioned, the hiring process for TFA is very structured, but in my opinion it's overdone. According to the hiring manager, I was actually 1 of 2 top candidates for the job, but unfortunately for me the other person was offered the position. The entire process took 4 agonizing months and a call to my supervisor for a reference, only for them to offer the job to my opponent in the end. My interview process was as follows: I first completed the initial phone interview screening. About 4-5 weeks later I was contacted to do a second phone interview with a member from the team I would be working with and the program assistant. A few days after that I was given a 2-part critical thinking assignment, which had a 1-week deadline. Two weeks after submitting the assignment I was contacted once again to interview with the hiring manager. Following that interview, I spoke with 2 additional team members, and a few days later I had my final interview with a VP based in a different location. Everyone I spoke to was always extemely polite and seemingly very interested in my ideas, but I did often wonder if they were being genuine. When it was all said and done, I wasn't provided much feedback as to why they decided to go with the other candidate, only that it was a "really tough decision." The hiring manager even went on to say that my references were excellent and how great of a job I'm doing in my present work. Overall, I still believe that TFA is likely a great place to work, but after my long, drawn-out experience I doubt I will ever apply with this organization again.

Interview Questions
  • The questions were pretty straight-forward, and many of them had to do with corporate relationship building and how well you can handle challenges.
4 people found this interview helpful

Teach for America

Application

The process took 2 months. I interviewed at Teach for America in Sep 2010

Interview

The interview process was very organized and efficient. The number of interviews was necessary for the role that I would be taking on.

Interview Questions
2 people found this interview helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 13 Interviews