Teach for America Interview Questions in Philadelphia, PA | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 18, 2017

3.1

Manager, Grants and Public Partnerships Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Philadelphia, PA) in February 2016.

Interview

The interview process was long and very thorough, which can be good or bad, depending on who you are. I enjoyed it because it gave me the opportunity to really understand if this workplace would be a good fit for me, and also saved me the worry that I was jumping into a role without all of the information. They really want to know if you are ready for a position with them, which made me feel confident in the rest of the team.

TFA Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Philadelphia, PA) in December 2015.

Interview

Application with essay questions, phone interview and in person interview. The in person interview required preparation. They had required readings, which we did not go over at all. And the majority of time was spent talking about what teach for America does.

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Philadelphia, PA) in December 2015.

Interview

The full-day interview includes teaching demonstration, group discussion, and individual interview. For the teaching demonstration, it is imperative that you follow "I do, you do, we do" format. Don't ever just lecture at the kids. Also have something to assess the students' level of understanding. It is also important that you abide by the time limit; the interviewers will be very strict about that.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever missed a deadline?   1 Answer

TFA Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Philadelphia, PA) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview process was a long one. Almost two months long. They have you submit about four essays in the initial application. If you pass that you'll make it on to the phone interview. If you make it pass the phone interview you'll make it on to the last in-person interview/sample lesson plan. They claim they want diversity but their organization make-up proves otherwise.

Interview Questions

• Take us through a difficult experience in the workplace and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Philadelphia, PA) in March 2015.

Interview

Lengthy and detailed online application. ~Two hour online exercise. I was able to skip the phone interview step and moved directly to final interview. Final interview was exactly how they describe it on the website. Group interview, Teach a 5 minute lesson, Q & A session, group activity, then individual interviews. Advice: ask questions that make your fellow applicants look good during their lessons and they'll ask nice ones back. Come prepared with questions for the Q & A session, no one had questions in my group (10 of us) so I got to ask 2 questions that helped demonstrate my interest. Don't ask a question that's already addressed online somewhere or that is very specific (e.g., can I teach in NY if I pass my PA state exams?) For the individual interview, they really let you elaborate on your answers so don't be shy! They focused on my leadership activity that I had spent the most time on. They also asked a lot about my thesis. My interviewer and I clicked on a certain topic in education reform and went on that tangent for a while, if you're passionate about educational reform, let it show--because your interviewer probably is to!

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be a corps member?
      Talk about a time you had to work in a group for your *insert leadership activity*.
      Talk about a time you had difficulty working with another person.
      Answer Question

Manager, Teacher Leadership Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Philadelphia, PA) in September 2014.

Interview

Similar to the corps member application. An initial written application that describes your experiences in the classroom (which is required) as well as describing your experiences as a corps member, and a phone or in person interview that requires a role play as a teacher coach. The application is slightly different if you're still in the classroom, or outside of the classroom.

Interview Questions

• How did you use data to track your students, and inform your instructional practices?   Answer Question

MTLD Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Philadelphia, PA) in June 2014.

Interview

Phone interview, then submission of teaching artifacts, virtual coaching of a fictional teaching, then video of yourself teaching/leading, then a video interview or an in person interview depending on your location

Operations Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Teach for America (Philadelphia, PA) in February 2014.

Interview

Very easy interview because I was not asked any difficult questions. The interviewer was very welcoming and friendly. It was a very relaxing environment. You dont have much to worry about.

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Philadelphia, PA) in February 2014.

Interview

Intensive half-day interview. Involved a presentation of a lesson, a group interview, and an individual interview. The staff was very relaxed, and made us all feel comfortable. It was not a competitive environment between the others applying. Make sure to practice your lesson ahead of time to ensure it is under the time limit. TFA always likes those who incorporate a teacher-led example, a whole-group example, then individual/ partner work. Be sure to assign "homework" and encourage students to work on the lesson that night.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a student was a distraction in class?   Answer Question

Alumni Affairs Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Philadelphia, PA) in September 2012.

Interview

I filled out the general application on Teach For America's website. I got a follow up email from them in about 3-4 weeks. From there I scheduled a phone interview, where I was screened for a few different positions, where I expressed my interest in a specific role. I then had a 2nd phone interview one week later, which was followed by a 3rd interview a few days after. The entire process was long, but I was so at ease with the staff. I did not end up getting the position, but was in the top 3 contenders. They were so nice, even when it came to telling me I was not offered the position.

Interview Questions

• There were no unexpected questions, they were not trying to be tricky like in some interviews. They asked the standard questions:

"What core values do you identify with most"?
      "What are your thoughts on the mission"?
      "Why are you interested in this position/what do you know about TFA"?
      "What does leadership mean to you"?
      "Describe a time you took on a leadership position"?
      "How do you stay organized"? (They want a very detailed answer here)
      "Name a time you failed at something, how did you handle it"?
      "If we talked to your supervisor, what would he/she say you need to improve on"?
      Answer Question