Teach for America TFA Corps Member Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 6, 2017

3.5

117 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (Baltimore, MD) in February 2015.

Interview

Very predictable - look up the interview questions on here and other places online and you'll be more than prepared. I was not expedited to the in-person so I went through the phone interview. They are just reading from a sheet so I already had my answers prepared for every question they asked. The in-person interview is very similar, but the addition of the group conversation, sample lesson, and other nonsense makes it longer. I cannot reiterate enough that if you do the research, you will be 100% prepared for each step of the process.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

There was a team interaction part of interview (assess which two policies were better for the team and why), mock teaching and individual interview. The individual interview was pretty standard (biggest challenge and how you overcame it, what do you do when things don't meet your expectations, etc etc).

Interview Questions

• What was your biggest challenge and how did you overcome it?

Tell me about how you deal with disappointment.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (Chicago, IL) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied online for TFA in their first hiring cycle of the year. I had to submit my resume and answer some essay questions on the general resume. I was connected with- and I cannot stress this enough- several different TFA reps that were to advise me in the interview process. A couple days later I received an invitation to schedule an in-person interview. For the in-person interview I was required to prepare a brief 5-minute lesson on anything (you could even do "how to tie your shoes") which I had to present to a group of other applicants. Many people did over-the-top props or visuals in their lessons which kept all of them from finishing their lesson in the allotted time. Those with simple lay outs and straightforward worksheets seemed the most successful. There were about 8 others besides myself and 2 recruiters. We had to solve a social issue communally. After the group portion, everyone in the room is assigned to one of the two recruiters and from then are required to sign up for a on-on-one interview for that day. I had mine immediately after. The interviewer was extremely friendly and she didn't ask anything out of the ordinary that I hadn't prepared for. It's important to understand TFA's mission and how you fit into it. I found the interview conversational and not nerve-wracking because I had the opportunity to meet and observe my interviewer during the group portion. That interview was around 45 minutes. Within a week I was extended an offer to join the 2017-18 corps. Since then I have been onboarding with TFA for and have an interview with a charter school that they facilitated. The process seemed overwhelming but was relatively simple and I was able to be myself and still get an offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a difficult challenge you've had to face and how you overcame it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

It was long. First, you must answer some pre-interview questions. Then, you are called for a phone interview. Then, you must answer more interview questions online. Then, there is 5 hour interview in-person or over video.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Washington, DC) in December 2014.

Interview

I applied online and then did an in-person interview with about 15 other applicants and 2 staff members. We each had to prepare a 5 minute lesson to demonstrate as the other applicants as our "class." We also had to have a mock school board discussion, as well as a 45 minute personal interview.

Interview Questions

• Q: Describe an experience where you demonstrated leadership.   Answer Question

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America in February 2017.

Interview

Filled out application online and received a notification within days about signing up for an interview. As i couldn't make it to an interview location, they had convenient virtual interview times that you could sign up for. The interview consisted of presenting a teaching lesson to other interviewees, a group activity, and a one-on-one interview.

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Phone interview with basic questions; in-person interview with a group. Multiple activities including traditional interview and presentation of a lesson. At the end there was also a 1:1 interview.

Interview Questions

• How do you organize your short term and long term projects/deadlines?   Answer Question

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Extensive interview. Online application is the easiest part, but they require candidates to complete pre work before the final interview such as short answer responses to questions that require a lot of thought and time. Make sure to be prepared for the five-minute demo, include an evaluation of the students and make sure to know how to respond to wrong answers.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a project (they also ask class) you had a challenge with?
      They ask follow-up questions about it, when did you realize it was going to be challenging? What was the end result?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Ann Arbor, MI).

Interview

It was a group interview. You were given an issue and you had to figure out if you would vote yes or no on the resolution while working together.

Interview Questions

• How are you able to stay organized? Why are you passionate about this organization?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Chicago, IL) in November 2016.

Interview

First, everyone in the interview gave their sample lesson plan. Then, we were given a short introduction to Teach For America and the experiences of our interviewers in the Corps. Then, we did a group activity, and then had our personal interview times.