Teach for America TFA Corps Member Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Teach for America TFA Corps Member Interview Questions

Updated May 23, 2017

3.5

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

The process was a set of an application, an online interview, and a a full day in person interview. My biggest piece of advice, prepare for everything! If you make it to the last round make sure you prepare your classroom lesson. Also prepare for your final interview- it is tough!

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

It was three rounds:
    1:essay/short response
    2:phone interview
    3:in person - teach a 5 minute lesson, group interview, one on one

The put the most emphasis on the 5 minute lesson. They want you to be able to be deliver it and be able to check for understanding within the time limit. It's also important that you the lesson engages the people in the room which are both fellow people interviewing and TFA employees. T

Interview Questions

• There's 30 minute one on one portion where they ask about background and really focus on why TFA and times in which you overcame adversity.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Charleston, SC).

Interview

Very long process and it takes a long time to hear back, after the final interview. Phone interview, online activity, in person interview, teach a lesson, 2 referrals and a recommendation. No indication if they like you or not during the final interview. The online activity was the most difficult part for me because the questions were hard to answer.

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America in March 2016.

Interview

The interview process is pretty long and intensive --- they're really looking to see how you operate as a leader. They'll focus a lot more on leadership experiences rather than experiences you have in a classroom.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Houston, TX) in February 2016.

Interview

I started an application online and I later received an email from a campus recruiter. They really did push me to apply but they were helpful in all stages of the application and interview process. I did not have to do the phone interview and moved on to the in-person interview stage. I enjoyed the 5 minute lesson plan but I would recommend preparing and practicing something fun and manageable. The time goes by faster than you think! The group interview was okay although I always hate them. During my individual interview, my interviewer really narrowed in on one leadership experience that I put on my resume. Overall it was an okay interview process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

The interview process was quite long, took about three months until the final decision was made. There is an online application, phone interview, online activity, 1:1 interview, and a group sample teaching lesson. The first steps in the process are self explanatory, it is the interview day that requires the most preparation. Final interview day was fun and interactive and I enjoyed the entire process. Had to design a 5 minute sample lesson to present to the other candidates.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Middletown, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Middletown, CT) in January 2016.

Interview

TFA has multiple “rounds” built into the year in which you can apply to any one of them at any time. You would first need to apply online and provide basic information including your education and writing answers to case questions. The application is straight forward and does not ask if you have prior teaching experience but make sure to upload a resume with lots of leadership roles.

After submission, your application will be reviewed and will be chosen or rejected from a phone interview. Some applicants are able to skip over the phone interview and head straight into the group interview but it is not specified on how this works.

If you were chosen to move onto the phone interview, it usually last anywhere from 35 minutes to an hour. Passing the phone interview will allow you to move onto the group interview at a location of your choice. Before then you would need to finish another section of the application which includes uploading materials, choosing your preferences, etc.

The group interview is the final step. You would need to present a teaching lesson in front of a group of about 12 people including 2 or more TFA corps members. You will then proceed to a group discussion and then finally your one on one interview.

Lastly you will wait another two or three weeks for a final answer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Claremont, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Claremont, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

First you have to submit an online application with three short answer questions. Within a week, you are notified if you are selected for a phone interview. After the phone interview, you may be invited for a full day interview. The full day interview consists of a 5 minute sample teaching lesson and a group activity in the morning. In the afternoon, you have a 40 minute personal interview that consists mainly of behavioral questions. Overall, it was a comprehensive but generally positive interview experience.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Dallas, TX) in December 2015.

Interview

The interview day is from 9am to 5pm. First you must provide a five-minute teaching sample, followed by a group work segment. The remainder of the day is split into time slots for one-on-one interviews.

Interview Questions

• Tell about a time you had a conflict with a supervisor.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Philadelphia, PA) in December 2015.

Interview

Application with essay questions, phone interview and in person interview. The in person interview required preparation. They had required readings, which we did not go over at all. And the majority of time was spent talking about what teach for America does.