Teach for America TFA Corps Member Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Teach for America TFA Corps Member Interview Questions

Updated Apr 21, 2017

3.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Charlotte, NC) in November 2015.

Interview

written application phone interview online "tests" and in-depth college course forms. Final step was an all day group interview that ended with a one on one interview, and began with a sample teach

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

It's a multi-stage interview process. First, there's the application which asks some basic resume style questions as well as a few essay questions about your interest in education equity. Then depending on your level of experience and strength of application, you may have a phone screen that asks about your application. Next, there's an in person Interview (group interview, sample lesson, one on one interview) that lasts all day.

Interview Questions

• Under what circumstances would you quit the program?   1 Answer

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Online interview, phone interview, in person interview

This was a several month process. The most difficult part was the in person interview that asked each of us to prepare a mini lesson for your interview group. Then, the group has a discussion that is watched and monitored by the interviewers. Finally, you have a one on one interview with an interviewer.

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

full day interview process. 5 min teaching lesson to a group activity to a one to one interview. the 5 min teaching lesson and group activity was very unorganized and the one on one interview was just like the phone interview. after I finished the one on one interview, my interviewer asked me if i would like to add on anything that she felt would contribute to their decision and I poured my heart out about how much I truly care about the work they are doing and really want to be a part of it. Even with a huge amount of teaching experience, I was not asked at all about my teaching experience.

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Long process, very detailed online application. After you do the application, you can choose whatever deadline you want to use, but the closer deadlines give you a better chance for the region you want to teach in. I applied in the summer so any updates took over a month. My application passed to the phone interview, but I did not pass that.

Interview Questions

• Can you give me a time in which you were given a challenging situation and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ithaca, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Ithaca, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

(This is all about the final interview; I skipped the phone interview). Do a pre-prepared five minute sample lesson. Then there is a group activity, then a break, and then the regular one-on-one interview. Make sure you have practiced your sample lesson heavily: five minutes goes by very quickly. Also make sure you have time during the sample lesson for there to be an individual group/activity and to go around the room and engage with individuals as they do it. The interview itself was very weird: the interviewer does not make eye contact the entire time because they are typing furiously on the computer. Also, they asked weird questions like interrogating me heavily about how selective a specific extracurricular I do is, instead of focusing more on work experiences and behavioral stuff.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had a conflict with a coworker or boss.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in September 2015.

Interview

I applied online and got a phone interview. The interviewer did not care that I have had a lot of previous experience working with kids in a classroom setting. All they asked me about was my leadership experience in one organization.

Interview Questions

• Name a time where you were faced with a problem and what steps you took to solve it?   Answer Question

TFA Corps Member Interview

Interview

Extremely selective. Do not focus on teaching experiences as much as your organizational and leadership skills. During the final interview make sure you plan out all the details of your lesson. Know how much time is required for each part of your lesson including set up. They will cut you off.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever missed a deadline. If so, why.   1 Answer

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

The Interview is a long process. It takes about 2 months to complete, with several components (online application, phone interview, final interview). However, depending on who you interact with the experience is very enjoyable, although challenging. Make sure to do your research before each interview and put forth your best effort.

Also when building your lesson plan for the final interview be sure to keep it simple but interesting! There will be several individuals teaching during the day and you need to stand out. So have fun but make sure that you are using your time wisely. You only have 5 minutes, which goes quickly!

Interview Questions

• What would be one thing that would result in you leaving the corps?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (San Jose, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

There were three sections to the interview. There was an initial application, phone interview, and in person/group interview. The in person interview was in a group setting for most of the time. It involved teaching a lesson, a case study, and an individual interview. This whole setting felt very comfortable throughout most of the time. The overall process was a lot of work with many deadlines to meet.