Teach for America TFA Corps Member Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 23, 2017

3.5

116 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

The Interview is a long process. It takes about 2 months to complete, with several components (online application, phone interview, final interview). However, depending on who you interact with the experience is very enjoyable, although challenging. Make sure to do your research before each interview and put forth your best effort.

Also when building your lesson plan for the final interview be sure to keep it simple but interesting! There will be several individuals teaching during the day and you need to stand out. So have fun but make sure that you are using your time wisely. You only have 5 minutes, which goes quickly!

Interview Questions

• What would be one thing that would result in you leaving the corps?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (San Jose, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

There were three sections to the interview. There was an initial application, phone interview, and in person/group interview. The in person interview was in a group setting for most of the time. It involved teaching a lesson, a case study, and an individual interview. This whole setting felt very comfortable throughout most of the time. The overall process was a lot of work with many deadlines to meet.

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Submitted the online application with essay and was automatically bumped to the final round. The final all day interview involved a 5 minute lesson with 1 minute of prep time (they literally time you to the second and will not allow you to go over). From there, we had a series of group activities to model how we work in a group. Finally, the day ended with a one on one interview that lasted anywhere from 15 minutes to 45 minutes.

On the day that I interviewed, four of the ten applicants did not finish their lesson within the time frame. None of these applicants were admitted (even the applicant with a really engaging science lesson). One applicant had a lesson in which he lectured for the entire 5 minutes, he was also not admitted. The other 5 applicants (myself included) had lessons that were under time and involved some element of teacher modeling, grouping practice, and final assessment/closing. This is the basic structure of a lesson that you will be teaching should you be admitted. For this reason, make sure you create a lesson that is under time, practice it multiple times, and include instruction, practice, and assessment. For anyone that is wondering, I taught my group how to ask someone their name in Spanish and how to respond when someone asks your name. I included specific points on pronunciation and inflection.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to serve in low income, under resourced schools?   1 Answer
    • Have you ever quit anything   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Philadelphia, PA) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview process was a long one. Almost two months long. They have you submit about four essays in the initial application. If you pass that you'll make it on to the phone interview. If you make it pass the phone interview you'll make it on to the last in-person interview/sample lesson plan. They claim they want diversity but their organization make-up proves otherwise.

Interview Questions

• Take us through a difficult experience in the workplace and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Hartford, CT) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied for the Corps for the 2015-2016 year. Got a phone interview with a lovely alumna of the Corps who seemed impressed with what I had to say regarding my background and experience. Overall the interview allowed me to really shine.

Interview Questions

• As a founding board member of a non-profit org., what were your duties?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

There was a phone interview, an online activity, and a final in-person interview. Each can be treated as a "level." The phone interview was a level-1 screening process, the online activity was an assessment, and the final interview was a combination of a group interview (sample teach) and a one-on-one interview.

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

First, I applied online. Then waited for the decision. Afterwards, I had my final interview. I was abroad at the time, so I had to do a virtual interview. The entire interview process was pretty lengthy.

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

It was a multi-step process. Throughout the whole thing I felt like they were interested in what I brought to the table as a whole and not just my thoughts on education.

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

TFA recruiter was great- friendly, always willing to point out resources, connect me with someone. Interview went well- you do the teaching part first which gets that out of the way. Group portion they just want to see that you can carry a conversation and are committed to TFA and would not quit on them. Hiring was not handled well. During your regional selection process- CHOOSE YOUR REGIONS VERY CAREFULLY AND READ UP ON ALL OF THEM THAT YOU CHOOSE. TFA is not incredibly transparent about all of the costs until after you have been selected, unless you do some research yourself on the TFA website.

Interview Questions

Had to pay for a reduced master's program to get certification. AmeriCorps would fund some of it, but this would still be expensive. Also, I did not want to commit to my placement location.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Washington, DC) in December 2014.

Interview

I applied online and then did an in-person interview with about 15 other applicants and 2 staff members. We each had to prepare a 5 minute lesson to demonstrate as the other applicants as our "class." We also had to have a mock school board discussion, as well as a 45 minute personal interview.

Interview Questions

• Q: Describe an experience where you demonstrated leadership.   Answer Question