Teach for America Teach for America Corps Member Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Teach for America Teach for America Corps Member Interview Questions

3.7

26 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

The hiring process had several steps that you had to go through over a period of time. First it was an online application. The application had many questions and then you had to also submit a resume and letters of recommendation. If you passed that, they email you to set up a phone interview. Next you choose a location to go to for an in person interview. This consisted of presenting a 5 minute lesson, then a group activity, and ends with a one-on-one interview.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Athens, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Athens, OH) in February 2016.

Interview

The interview process is extremely long and extensive. They make you jump through hoops, they get your hopes up, they have people contact you to encourage you to continue in your application process, and they have you fill out a preliminary application that is so extensive that it seems more suitable for adopting a child or becoming a FBI agent.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY).

Interview

Long, a few months time. Online app was first step. Then there was a phone interview, then a final interview which included a mock teaching lesson for 5 minutes, a group discussion, and a personal interview.

Teach for America Corps Member Interview

Application

The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

With multiple steps, the organization really seeks to understand your reason for applying, your commitment to education reform and your leadership skills. There is an initial online application which asks about experiences that may have prepared you for the work you may do with TFA. In addition, there is an online tests that tests skills you may need while you are a teacher. Some may be invited to a phone interview then while others are invited right to the in-person interview. For this interview you are asked to teach something. This does not have to be complicated lesson. The organization is looking for your teachers voice, as well as classroom management skills. They also want to see how you respond to their clarifying questions about your lesson. For the in person interview it is important to remember that you are not competing against the other interviewees. The lessons usually works better for everyone involved if you all participate and support each others lesson.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chapel Hill, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Chapel Hill, NC) in March 2014.

Interview

Very rigorous interview process - I had to submit a few essay responses and do a problem set, then a phone interview (which was really helpful because I got to talk to a corps member who volunteered to interview new applicants), teach a lesson and then one in-person interview. Given how much work I put into the entire process, by the time I finally got to the interview round, I wish it had been more personalized than it was. As a part of the group session, we had to teach a sample lesson then debate an education topic. It was a little awkward because we were all competing against one another and very forced. Either way, it was a pretty positive interview experience but very standardized, which makes sense because it's such a large organization.

Interview Questions

• How would you overcome day-to-day challenges as a Corps Member?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Grinnell, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Grinnell, IA) in September 2013.

Interview

The Teach For America interview has three parts. I would say it is very time consuming and thorough. They look for very driven individuals with Type A personalities or are extremely passionate. You start with a phone interview that will ask about your greatest leadership responsibilities. If you move on you answer questions about yourself, and respond to video questions. You will need two outside references to complete part of this section. Finally, you do a mini-lesson and answer 1:1 questions. The lesson can be on anything just prepare for it and bring all your energy. You just need to show that you have high energy and that you are ready to try and learn.

Interview Questions

• How does race and identity play a role in the classroom?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Stanford, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Stanford, CA) in February 2012.

Interview

Interview process is very extensive: your original application includes leadership roles that you've held, a letter of intent, your undergraduate courses and GPA, etc. The next phase is a 30-45 minute phone interview with a TFA representative.

Last step is the in-person group interview - you prepare and implement a 5-minute mini-lesson plan like you would in a classroom. Your lesson plan must include an objective, be interactive, should check for student understanding, and fit within the time frame. The rest of your group acts as students would/should, so you see everyone else's lesson plan as well. Then you participate in a problem solving challenge with your team to find a solution to a scenario that could take place if you enter a classroom. At some point during the day, you do a individual math assessment as well. Lastly, you have your one-on-one interview with one of the TFA interviewers. These interviews last about 45 minutes, if I remember correctly, and discuss your best qualifications. They very explicitly ask you what, if anything, would prevent you from fulfilling your two year commitment, which is probably a pretty important question.

Interview Questions

• They very explicitly ask you what, if anything, would prevent you from fulfilling your two year commitment, which is probably a pretty important question.   1 Answer

Negotiation

n/a, AmeriCorps

Anonymous Interview Candidate in State College, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (State College, PA) in May 2012.

Interview

High intensity interviewing and recruiting. Biggest thing they look for is willingness to stick it out for the full two years. The reason I declined even though I was offered the position was that I could tell that I was getting so much support and attention just so I would say yes and they couldn't answer my questions about sustainability of the model.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Washington, DC) in April 2015.

Interview

Online application. Notification of either going on to final interview or a phone interview (I skipped the phone interview.) Then online activity (about biases and how you would handle certain situations.) Following the online activity, there is a full-day in-person interview with a sample teaching lesson, group activity, and individual interview.

Interview Questions

• What was the biggest challenge you have overcome and how can you bring that experience to improve yourself in the future?   Answer Question

Teach for America Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

TFA follows the schedule they provided. It takes about two months to complete the entire process depending on when you apply. I had a phone interview that went very well. They asked questions related to unrelated previous experience. I felt weird about it but talked about it with confidence. It took about 30 min. The final interview was not as hard as I had anticipated. I went in prepared and rocked it.