Teach for America Teach for America Corps Member Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Teach for America Teach for America Corps Member Interview Questions

Updated Feb 21, 2017

3.7

26 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

The hiring process had several steps that you had to go through over a period of time. First it was an online application. The application had many questions and then you had to also submit a resume and letters of recommendation. If you passed that, they email you to set up a phone interview. Next you choose a location to go to for an in person interview. This consisted of presenting a 5 minute lesson, then a group activity, and ends with a one-on-one interview.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

The hiring process was one that was long, and clearly geared to elite current or recent college graduates, or elite graduates of good schools with a few years of work experience. During the interview process my own elite education got me to the "final interview" phase, where my nightmarish journey commenced. For grown-ups with say, 20 to 30 years of work or life experience TFA had you jump through hoops. My Carter administration transcripts in 2016! Really not reflective of much. There were short answers which were timed, but not correctly timed. So, set your phone to the 20 minute mark to make sure you get your answers in on time. The questions were about your experience in underserved communities and commitment to education inequities. But, really they want to know if you have big plans to work for TFA and then leverage that into something like an elite law school, medical school or business school which you would not be successful in getting into without the resume builder. There was very, very, very little emphasis on actual teaching, except for a ridiculous 5 minute lesson you are to give in front of your colleagues or should I say college students who in my case were mute and non-responsive to most others instead of interacting. The 5 minute lesson must be perfect. Bring posters, plan an interactive group activity keeping everyone busy. Make sure to state your objective and make sure you meet this objective. I got nervous, went off my well-rehearsed script and choked, which was the cloak of doom in an already doomed "ageism" or "person who worked full-time in the home" elitist scripted interview day. Now, mind you I have degrees from Yale, NYU and such with honors and years of experience, have tried many jury trials and want to return to work after family obligations are no longer such that I cannot work outside of the home. I want to teach and work in underserved schools. I have a recently minted degree with honors up the wazoo that would train me to be great in the classroom, but not necessarily in a five minute lesson where it is artificially limited and you are cut off at exactly five minutes. Kids don't have expiration dates, so while classes have time limits and there are lesson plans, it makes no sense to have a full day of interviews with most of the day pushing the "we create masters of the universe" who teach maybe for the two year commitment and then go on to great things and send our name throughout the world, instead of a full day of teaching related tasks. Instead, you will have an insane and inane policy question which as a group you will have to answer, which is the kiss of death for anyone who actually knows about education policy, because the TFA push is to talk about community and outreach and ... getting to see a pattern here, anything but actually supporting teachers in the classroom who might stay and teach after they have some experience doing so. So, be prepared to spend the day with people, who in my case, did not speak with each other during the breaks, showed themselves to be perfectly prepared with perfect five minute lessons, but no people skills, no ability to empathize. They will get offers.

Interview Questions

• Insanely focussed on my calendar method, instead of going off script and asking about my organizational skills related to the many complex jobs I have done in my legal and other career. It was clear that I had already been doomed and my interviewer at this point was just saying "yes" to any question I posed, such as "are you familiar with the old school Franklin planner" question to answer his question about my calendar. When he said "yes" and then asked follow-up questions, it was clear he had no idea about what a Franklin Planner or Day Timer was, or he would not have asked these questions.

Instead of focussing on my many experiences with kids or teaching or in communities with racial, educational and health care inequities, he stuck to his script which often began with "in your employment or school in the last four years", despite knowing that I had taken time away from paid employment to do things, like focus on personal and family issues (raising kids is not, in TFA land a full-time experience that might be perceived as helpful to teaching ummmmmm......... kids, nor would the experience of dealing with cancer or other issues of disability which might take one away from Masters of the Universe work, but would be directly related to one's ability to understand and inform others about facing hardships and working through them, but I digress). There will be a detailed "In the past four years, what experiences have you had in communities which were challenging and how did you handle them. If you have a skillful interviewer they will work from your resume and their script, if not, you will have a reading of the TFA mantra in artfully interjected, or not so artfully interjected into your life story. Be prepared to talk about your stamina, your flexibility and your promise to stick with it when you find yourself with only one week of classroom training before you are trained for an hour or so a day but in a class of real students depending on your teaching to learn for the rest of the school day during the five week summer program, and then plopped into a real school with real, needy and complex and culturally different students, too many at a time, with no formal instruction on the art of teaching that education programs would give you..... In other words, don't talk like I am writing about TFA, even if you understand that TFA these days is about perpetuating TFA more than hiring the best and the brightest to actually stay in the classrooms instead of the board or court rooms.

Learn the TFA Mantra over and over. Community building, raising kids up through positive reinforcement methods, and showing off the kids who leave the community to go to the elite ... oops there I go again.   3 Answers

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY).

Interview

The first round is a written application, followed by a phone interview--finally you'll be invited to a day-long interview where you'll have to present a lesson to a panel of about 2 interviewers and 5-6 fellow applicants.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Teach for America (Boston, MA) in October 2015.

Interview

Met them at a job fair at my uni. After providing my resume, they contacted me later that day to set up a one-one one meeting the following day on campus. After that, I had to set up a profile to fill out online. It's a simple online application where they gauge your potential placements. Furthermore, they try to link you up with a phone call with one of their current corp members to speak with you about TFA. It does a great job at making the candidate feel welcomed to TFA.

I had another offer.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Seattle, WA) in April 2015.

Interview

Intense. A full day interview consisting of group interviews, in personal interview, and a mini-lesson. It's important to remember that a big part of your interview will be how you interact with others and not only what your ideas are but- perhaps more importantly- how express yourself and operate with people who carry different viewpoints than your own.

Anonymous Employee in Lexington-Fayette, KY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Lexington-Fayette, KY) in January 2015.

Interview

They did a 2 part interview process. The first was a phone interview after they reviewed my resume. It was about 45 minutes. Then there was an in person interview. The in person interview had 3 parts. The first was present a 5 minute lesson to a group of people, then discuss an article, and finally a one on one interview. It all took about 3 hours.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Athens, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Athens, OH) in February 2016.

Interview

The interview process is extremely long and extensive. They make you jump through hoops, they get your hopes up, they have people contact you to encourage you to continue in your application process, and they have you fill out a preliminary application that is so extensive that it seems more suitable for adopting a child or becoming a FBI agent.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by recruiters several times, and after not responding for a couple months they reached out to me again and I decided to interview with them. I scheduled a time to talk with a recruiter almost immediately. The phone interview lasted a half hour or less, the girl was very nice, and I could tell that she was at school during our conversation. After we spoke she sent me a picture of her kids and it was very sweet. She gave me some links to continue the application process, but it was very last minute, the deadline was soon, I was very busy, and my parents discouraged me from joining so I ended up letting the opportunity go. Kind of regret it now. I would say they're a really good program with a really good cause and anyone interested should go for it. The location of the interview below in arbitrary, since we spoke over the phone.

Interview Questions

• How does TFA's mission align with your personal values?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY).

Interview

Long, a few months time. Online app was first step. Then there was a phone interview, then a final interview which included a mock teaching lesson for 5 minutes, a group discussion, and a personal interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in December 2015.

Interview

The Interview process was very typical. It included a phone interview, online work, and in-person interview/lesson plan. While the people were all friendly the entire interview process was rather lengthy and it felt like parts of it were too time consuming and unnecessary. The worst part about the entire process was that the person who interview me on the final day made it sound like I was going to get an offer. He said "I'm going to strongly recommend for you to get an offer." Its just very frustrating when they were so misleading and I ended up not getting an offer.

Interview Questions

• Under what circumstances would you leave TFA?   1 Answer