Teach for America Teacher Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Teach for America Teacher Interview Questions

Updated Feb 20, 2017

3.5

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Was reached out to a recruiter but did not get accepted. This process seems like a scam. It takes a few months to go through entire process. For application, then group interview with teaching a lesson plan.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Houston, TX).

Interview

Online application, then you are notified if you have been selected for an interview...after this you have to upload transcripts, and enter all your credits and classes manually for all semesters online, and prepare for a 5 minute teaching lesson. The lesson can be any subject grades k-12....also you need to read some online material that will be used during a group activity in which the interviewers don't participate in, but just watch to see who is talking, or referencing the online material. The group has to act like school board members and have to make a ruling on a problem. There is no right or wrong answer to the ruling. Then you have a lunch break, sign up for your personal interview time slot, and wait. The personal interview is about an hour long. A week later they emailed us if we got the position or not. No reason is given if you are not hired.

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Durham, NC) in January 2017.

Interview

Really long application process, and the interview day lasted pretty long as well. I had <10 people at my interview day, so luckily ours didn't stretch out too long. Everyone gave 5 minute lessons (I actually did not finish my lesson entirely, was cut off in my final group activity), and then there was a group "roleplaying" activity in which you were presented with an educational dilemma and had to discuss it with your fellow applicants, and then the interviewers talked and presented opportunities for questions. Then, you signed up for your individual interview session.

The individual interview lasted about 55 minutes, and in it I was asked to expand upon my resume and my pre-interview activity (if you are currently applying for TFA you should know what this is), and otherwise had a great discussion with the interviewer. We talked about why I'd chosen the volunteer and job opportunities I'd taken on in the past, what my roles were like, and asked to talk about the numbers (statistics of achievements I'd accomplished in my jobs) on my resume as well.

Make sure you practice, practice, practice your lesson. Leave yourself an extra minute for questions you WILL receive, because when you're up there and you're nervous, you're gonna stumble over your words and take longer than you planned. Make sure you've incorporated effective activities that will help you gauge the understanding of your "class."

I made sure to give thank you cards to the interviewers. Also, you're not competing with the other applicants on your interview day. Do your best to support them and help them be the best they can be, because all of you could get in if qualified. Ask easy but significant questions during their lesson so that you won't throw them off but give them a chance to show off their improv and question-answering skills, converse with them while waiting for your interview to start and get to know them, make sure you take the time to listen to everyone's opinions in the role-playing activity.

In the end, it is actually quite fun. I met some great people, made some new facebook friends, and got a chance to be a part of a rigorous process that makes other job interviews I've had seem like cake. If you care about education equalization, this is your chance to do something great. However, if you only want a resume builder, I'd suggest looking somewhere else. With the confirmation of Betsy DeVos, America's public education sector is going to need as many competent, experienced, and passionate teachers we can find to ensure that our children will be armed with the knowledge they need to succeed. For all the flack TFA receives, I do believe that that is still their mission.

Interview Questions

• How do you stay organized?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Teach for America (Washington, DC) in January 2017.

Interview

First you submit your application with the first essay question explain why you want to join tfa in 500 words or less, in addition to your resume and other materials. If you are accepted you will be invited to an interview and asked to complete 6 other short pre-interview responses. For the interview they ask you to spend the full day first a five minute lesson plan on the topic of your choice. Afterwords all the interviewees work together to figure out how to solve certain scenarios. Then you are split up and given an individual interview with a TFA recruiter/alumni.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

You start in groups doing 5 minute teaching samples and act as students for other applicants while they teach. You then went to a group problem solving scenario involving opening/closing a school and accessibility/equity -- here is where they expected you to use your judgement as well as touch on pre-interview readings which were essentially relevant articles about educational equity and minority communities in America. Lastly, you were taken into separate rooms for one on one interviews where they asked you more about specifics on your resume and about the questions you answered in the online application

Interview Questions

• What does your typical week look like and how do you stay organized with it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tuscaloosa, AL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Tuscaloosa, AL) in October 2016.

Interview

The first step is filling out a pretty in-depth questionnaire. It included pretty basic things like your GPA and why you would want to be a part of TFA. After applying, you find out a week or two later if you have been selected for an interview. After the in person interview, you find out if you have been selected to be a part of TFA.

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Atlanta, GA) in October 2016.

Interview

Pretty straightforward as you went in for a group teaching interview and then an individual one after. The interviewers were super kind and they gave us a couple of breaks throughout the group interview section. I thought the teaching section would be more difficult than it really was. You only needed to teach for five minutes and the time just flew by!

Interview Questions

• What is one accomplishment that you are most proud of?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New Haven, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (New Haven, CT) in October 2016.

Interview

First there was a resume drop which was literally just submitting your resume. Then I was offered an in person interview which consisted of a 5 minute sample lesson, a group activity and then a personal interview. The personal interview was mostly behavior and took about an hour. Overall it was a friendly and comfortable process. I was also in contact with a recruiter during the entire process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spokane, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Teach for America (Spokane, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

Long, explain what people do after their two year commitment. I know that people would be happier if they explained every possibility when taching for two years, like MBA programs or gradschool, or networking events for after your commitment

Teacher Interview

Interview

Pretty long. There was the online application, then phone call, then online activity, then in-person interview. The 5 minute lesson was pretty nerve-wracking, but they are super super strict on the 5 minute length. They will give you a one minute warning, so by then you should be wrapping up.

Interview Questions

• What are some of the challenges you have faced, and how did you approach them?   Answer Question