Teach for America Teacher Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Teach for America Teacher Interview Questions

Updated Jun 18, 2017

3.5

Teacher Interview

Interview

After answering some questions and providing a personal statement and resume online, I participated in an in-person interview that involved both an individual interview and group activity. We were required to give a teaching lesson in front of other applicants, which went well and was enjoyable.

Interview Questions

• Why was I interested in the position? Why had led me to apply?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

First, they had everyone do a sample teaching lesson with the other interviewees participating as students, then a group discussion about an issue facing a school, and finally the interviewers talked about their Teach for America experiences. Then there was a short break before going in to the final personal interview.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time you didn't get along with someone and how did you resolve it.   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

I first filled out an application online and was directly invited to a final round interview. The final round was a long process, and consisted of multiple steps, but I received an offer and accepted.

Interview Questions

• Tell us what skills you have that would make you a good teacher?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America in March 2017.

Interview

Very long process that took about a month to get through. I had a virtual interview which was very long with about 7 other interviewees. After the group interview, there was a personal interview the same day.

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Was reached out to a recruiter but did not get accepted. This process seems like a scam. It takes a few months to go through entire process. For application, then group interview with teaching a lesson plan.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Houston, TX).

Interview

Online application, then you are notified if you have been selected for an interview...after this you have to upload transcripts, and enter all your credits and classes manually for all semesters online, and prepare for a 5 minute teaching lesson. The lesson can be any subject grades k-12....also you need to read some online material that will be used during a group activity in which the interviewers don't participate in, but just watch to see who is talking, or referencing the online material. The group has to act like school board members and have to make a ruling on a problem. There is no right or wrong answer to the ruling. Then you have a lunch break, sign up for your personal interview time slot, and wait. The personal interview is about an hour long. A week later they emailed us if we got the position or not. No reason is given if you are not hired.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Teach for America (Dallas, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

Recruiter reached out to me by email, she sounded very enthusiastic and scheduled an interview for me with another recruiter. Recruiter called late, and didn't ask a single question, he literally talked about himself the entire time. A week later I got a rejection with no reason given. This was so insanely unprofessional, they clearly had no intention to hire me, but wasted my time anyway.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (Boston, MA) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied through an online application. Then, I had an in person interview. The interview lasted all day. First, there was a group interview which included a 5 minute sample teaching lesson After a break, there was an individual interview in the afternoon.

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Durham, NC) in January 2017.

Interview

Really long application process, and the interview day lasted pretty long as well. I had <10 people at my interview day, so luckily ours didn't stretch out too long. Everyone gave 5 minute lessons (I actually did not finish my lesson entirely, was cut off in my final group activity), and then there was a group "roleplaying" activity in which you were presented with an educational dilemma and had to discuss it with your fellow applicants, and then the interviewers talked and presented opportunities for questions. Then, you signed up for your individual interview session.

The individual interview lasted about 55 minutes, and in it I was asked to expand upon my resume and my pre-interview activity (if you are currently applying for TFA you should know what this is), and otherwise had a great discussion with the interviewer. We talked about why I'd chosen the volunteer and job opportunities I'd taken on in the past, what my roles were like, and asked to talk about the numbers (statistics of achievements I'd accomplished in my jobs) on my resume as well.

Make sure you practice, practice, practice your lesson. Leave yourself an extra minute for questions you WILL receive, because when you're up there and you're nervous, you're gonna stumble over your words and take longer than you planned. Make sure you've incorporated effective activities that will help you gauge the understanding of your "class."

I made sure to give thank you cards to the interviewers. Also, you're not competing with the other applicants on your interview day. Do your best to support them and help them be the best they can be, because all of you could get in if qualified. Ask easy but significant questions during their lesson so that you won't throw them off but give them a chance to show off their improv and question-answering skills, converse with them while waiting for your interview to start and get to know them, make sure you take the time to listen to everyone's opinions in the role-playing activity.

In the end, it is actually quite fun. I met some great people, made some new facebook friends, and got a chance to be a part of a rigorous process that makes other job interviews I've had seem like cake. If you care about education equalization, this is your chance to do something great. However, if you only want a resume builder, I'd suggest looking somewhere else. With the confirmation of Betsy DeVos, America's public education sector is going to need as many competent, experienced, and passionate teachers we can find to ensure that our children will be armed with the knowledge they need to succeed. For all the flack TFA receives, I do believe that that is still their mission.

Interview Questions

• How do you stay organized?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Teach for America (Washington, DC) in January 2017.

Interview

First you submit your application with the first essay question explain why you want to join tfa in 500 words or less, in addition to your resume and other materials. If you are accepted you will be invited to an interview and asked to complete 6 other short pre-interview responses. For the interview they ask you to spend the full day first a five minute lesson plan on the topic of your choice. Afterwords all the interviewees work together to figure out how to solve certain scenarios. Then you are split up and given an individual interview with a TFA recruiter/alumni.