Teach for America Teacher Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 2, 2017

3.5

248 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Teach for America (Dallas, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

Recruiter reached out to me by email, she sounded very enthusiastic and scheduled an interview for me with another recruiter. Recruiter called late, and didn't ask a single question, he literally talked about himself the entire time. A week later I got a rejection with no reason given. This was so insanely unprofessional, they clearly had no intention to hire me, but wasted my time anyway.

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Durham, NC) in January 2017.

Interview

Really long application process, and the interview day lasted pretty long as well. I had <10 people at my interview day, so luckily ours didn't stretch out too long. Everyone gave 5 minute lessons (I actually did not finish my lesson entirely, was cut off in my final group activity), and then there was a group "roleplaying" activity in which you were presented with an educational dilemma and had to discuss it with your fellow applicants, and then the interviewers talked and presented opportunities for questions. Then, you signed up for your individual interview session.

The individual interview lasted about 55 minutes, and in it I was asked to expand upon my resume and my pre-interview activity (if you are currently applying for TFA you should know what this is), and otherwise had a great discussion with the interviewer. We talked about why I'd chosen the volunteer and job opportunities I'd taken on in the past, what my roles were like, and asked to talk about the numbers (statistics of achievements I'd accomplished in my jobs) on my resume as well.

Make sure you practice, practice, practice your lesson. Leave yourself an extra minute for questions you WILL receive, because when you're up there and you're nervous, you're gonna stumble over your words and take longer than you planned. Make sure you've incorporated effective activities that will help you gauge the understanding of your "class."

I made sure to give thank you cards to the interviewers. Also, you're not competing with the other applicants on your interview day. Do your best to support them and help them be the best they can be, because all of you could get in if qualified. Ask easy but significant questions during their lesson so that you won't throw them off but give them a chance to show off their improv and question-answering skills, converse with them while waiting for your interview to start and get to know them, make sure you take the time to listen to everyone's opinions in the role-playing activity.

In the end, it is actually quite fun. I met some great people, made some new facebook friends, and got a chance to be a part of a rigorous process that makes other job interviews I've had seem like cake. If you care about education equalization, this is your chance to do something great. However, if you only want a resume builder, I'd suggest looking somewhere else. With the confirmation of Betsy DeVos, America's public education sector is going to need as many competent, experienced, and passionate teachers we can find to ensure that our children will be armed with the knowledge they need to succeed. For all the flack TFA receives, I do believe that that is still their mission.

Anonymous Employee in Williamsburg, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Williamsburg, VA) in February 2012.

Interview

Lengthy process. Online application, phone interview, in-person interview, teach a short lesson to a group. At each step, they are looking for candidates who are genuine, warm, friendly, and can give concrete examples of facing challenges and overcoming them. They are looking for people with leadership potential.

Interview Questions

• I don&amp;#039;t recall specific questions, but they are looking for people who have grit, people who have overcome some real life challenges. They&amp;#039;ll want to know your story, what drives you. They know, if you are selected, you will be facing extraordinary challenges that will impact the lives of real students.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Seattle, WA) in January 2015.

Interview

It was a three-step process. First there was the initial orientation interview, which included mostly behavioral-based questioning and questioning that helped to identify political stances. The 2nd phone interview was a bit more complex and scenario-based. The final interview was a group format. There were reality-based questions that required working as a team, along with a required five-minute presentation.

Interview Questions

• Can you describe your best relationship you had with a former educator   1 Answer

Teacher Interview

Interview

Submit Application, if they like you then you'll then have a phone interview, then submit online assignments, and then final round group interviews in which you'll teach a lesson. followed by an individual interview in which you'll get feedback about your lesson. very in depth interview process but it weeds out the people who aren't truly interested

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Seattle, WA) in March 2009.

Interview

Wrote essays for first round, phone interview for second round, and group interview for last round of interviews.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Columbus, OH) in November 2011.

Interview

The interview process was tough. There was a phone interview and then the day long interview. Spent tons of time prepping, because this was the job I was looking for. Sadly, I was not offered a position, but feel the interview experience was overall positive.

Interview Questions

• Is there any reason you would have for leaving the program early if you were offered a position?   1 Answer

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America in March 2011.

Interview

TFA is very clear about their interview process. All the rules, requirements, etc. are noted. They even provide online seminars for potential interviewees for help. I have nothing but wonderful things to say about my TFA interview experience.

Interview Questions

I did not end up getting the city I desired, and I chose to decline my offer noting that I would potentially apply again in the future.

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America in March 2012.

Interview

I had an enjoyable interview process, and let me tell you people aren't kidding around when they say it is a competitive process. Everyone was very polite and personable, and I felt like I did great on my interview.

Although I did not get an offer, I have nothing but positive things to say about the whole process. Other than the fatigue that sets in from waiting for the entire interview process to conclude (its easy to start getting nervous with anticipation), the staff and the recruiters did their very best to make the experience as informative and adventurous as possible.

Interview Questions

• What, if anything, would cause you to quit the program?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America in October 2010.

Interview

Skills test, then phone interview, then had an all day 1:1 interview.