Teach for America Teacher Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 2, 2017

3.5

248 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Storrs, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Storrs, CT) in November 2017.

Interview

Starts by sending in resume and answering a few questions. Next step is recommendations (they fill out a given form) and more questions. Then a skype-type interview with a few other applicants and two recruiters. This was long- we did some group activity (talking through a given prompt/issue) and a 5 minute teaching exercise. Then we did an hour long personal interview alone.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to join TFA?
    What is your leadership experience?
    How do you stay organized?
    Think of a time you were in an argument with someone? How did you handle it?
    Would you change how you handled things?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in November 2017.

Interview

Online process requiring transcripts, recommenders, and general essay questions about the mission and some various scenarios about teaching. Important to have a strong resume and essays that lead into an in-person interview.

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Online application, letters of recommendation, essay questions, group interview, in person interview. During the interview they only asked me about one leadership position on my resume. I could tell the interview was following a template of questions and inserting one of the interviewee's given leadership positions. Questions such as: "tell me about a time you failed in (insert leadership position) and what you did afterwards?" "tell me about a time you didn't get a long with someone in (insert leadership position) and what the affect was" etc.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you were faced with a difficult position as _____ (insert leadership position) and what you did to overcome that obstacle?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chapel Hill, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Chapel Hill, NC) in September 2017.

Interview

They really make it seem like you are going to get the job - even if you aren't. The process was actually pretty fun and everyone I met was helpful and very nice.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Teach for America (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

informal coffee with a TFA recruiter, whole group interview with a dozen other competing corp members with roundtable questions and teaching segment wherein each applicant had to prepare a lesson and teach it to others, individual interview the same day

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be a teacher?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Dallas, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied online, a few weeks later I received an email for the first interview stage. The first stage consists of reading a few articles and then answering questions about what you would do in that situation. Or what you thought about the scenario. I week or so later I received an offer for an in person interview. The second and final interview is a group interview. 2 members of TFA are present and 5 or so other interviewees. The day consists of a short 5 minute lesson plan. You must present one and participate in the other candidates lessons. Next, there are 2 case study scenarios and you must discuss with your group what you would do and why. The TFA employees conducting the interview give some prompting but that is all. Lastly, after a break you have a one on one interview.

Interview Questions

• They asked what you would do in a scenario where a school district was low on funding. Would you close one school and relocate students or cut a few teacher jobs?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (Denver, CO) in April 2013.

Interview

The interview was actually very pleasant. The difficult part was coming up with a lesson plan and testing it on your fellow interviewees. The one-on-one was pleasant and not difficult.

Interview Questions

• Are you organized? Do you use some kind of planner or calendar? Why are you interested in teaching?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in March 2013.

Interview

I applied online, had a phone interview, then interviewed in person in New York, NY. The phone interview covered the basics -- strengths, weaknesses, recent achievements, a time you struggled at work, a time you struggled to work with a co-worker. The in-person interview included teaching demonstrations as well as more in-depth one-on-one interviews. Definitely should have prepared more for the teaching demonstration, but I was still a college kid and had very little teaching experience at the time.

Interview Questions

• Role play scenario at the in-person interview: you want to bring your class on a field trip, but are stonewalled by the administration's lack of budget and apparent lack of enthusiasm. How do you respond?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America in October 2016.

Interview

They have different timelines for applying. Easy process to follow because they have all of the dates and deadlines listed on their website. After applying, I was called for an interview, and I chose to do the video interview. Either web or in person, it's a group interview and you have to have a lesson prepared to teach others. I suggest using their online blackboard before the interview begins to practice your lesson.

Teacher Interview

Interview

After answering some questions and providing a personal statement and resume online, I participated in an in-person interview that involved both an individual interview and group activity. We were required to give a teaching lesson in front of other applicants, which went well and was enjoyable.

Interview Questions

• Why was I interested in the position? Why had led me to apply?   Answer Question