Teach for America Teacher Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 18, 2017

3.5

239 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

You start in groups doing 5 minute teaching samples and act as students for other applicants while they teach. You then went to a group problem solving scenario involving opening/closing a school and accessibility/equity -- here is where they expected you to use your judgement as well as touch on pre-interview readings which were essentially relevant articles about educational equity and minority communities in America. Lastly, you were taken into separate rooms for one on one interviews where they asked you more about specifics on your resume and about the questions you answered in the online application

Interview Questions

• What does your typical week look like and how do you stay organized with it?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tuscaloosa, AL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Tuscaloosa, AL) in October 2016.

Interview

The first step is filling out a pretty in-depth questionnaire. It included pretty basic things like your GPA and why you would want to be a part of TFA. After applying, you find out a week or two later if you have been selected for an interview. After the in person interview, you find out if you have been selected to be a part of TFA.

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Atlanta, GA) in October 2016.

Interview

Pretty straightforward as you went in for a group teaching interview and then an individual one after. The interviewers were super kind and they gave us a couple of breaks throughout the group interview section. I thought the teaching section would be more difficult than it really was. You only needed to teach for five minutes and the time just flew by!

Anonymous Employee in New Haven, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (New Haven, CT) in October 2016.

Interview

First there was a resume drop which was literally just submitting your resume. Then I was offered an in person interview which consisted of a 5 minute sample lesson, a group activity and then a personal interview. The personal interview was mostly behavior and took about an hour. Overall it was a friendly and comfortable process. I was also in contact with a recruiter during the entire process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spokane, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Teach for America (Spokane, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

Long, explain what people do after their two year commitment. I know that people would be happier if they explained every possibility when taching for two years, like MBA programs or gradschool, or networking events for after your commitment

Teacher Interview

Interview

Pretty long. There was the online application, then phone call, then online activity, then in-person interview. The 5 minute lesson was pretty nerve-wracking, but they are super super strict on the 5 minute length. They will give you a one minute warning, so by then you should be wrapping up.

Interview Questions

• What are some of the challenges you have faced, and how did you approach them?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Atlanta, GA) in September 2016.

Interview

All applicants are required to apply online first and upload transcripts and three references who will fill up online recommendations. There are also additional online activities which each applicant has to finish like why you want to work there and possible scenarios, along with reading preparatory material which they provide online. Also, each applicant is required to prepare a five minute lesson plan to demonstrate in the interview.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work with us?   1 Answer

The job requires relocation and I was unable to do so.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Teach for America (Berkeley, CA).

Interview

I was referred by a friend then spoke to an on campus recruiter. I submitted the online application and participated in a phone interview. That went well and I was given a final interview time. The final interview took up most of the day and I was given 5 minutes to teach a lesson to a group of around 8 people. There was a group interview and an individual interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview process is rather long. There is an initial application followed by a phone interview, pre-final interview activity/test, and then an in-person/online interview. You will be asked to teach a topic for five minutes to your group interview peers.

Interview Questions

• What was the hardest class you had taken in the previous year? Why was it difficult? And what you did to make it manageable.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (West Seattle, WA).

Interview

The interview process was very lengthy. I applied, was invited to a phone interview, invited to complete the online activity, invited to move to the final interview and rejected. I was saddened to hear I would not move on to join the Corp, but more so because I invested so much of my time into the process of interviewing and applying. The entire interview and application process took roughly 2 months or longer. The process needs to be shortened. If they are sure of not sending applicants to join the Corp, they should inform the applicants as soon as they know. It took 2 weeks after the final interview to find out I did not make it in. When I had my individual interview, the person did not want to hear what I had to say. The person seemed like she wanted to move onto the next person and finish my interview as fast as she could. During my final interview, I was convinced she already knew she did not want me to move on to the Corp.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you completed a project without any guidance?

Tell me about a time you were a leader or supervisor?

Have you ever quit anything?

Would you cut schools or funding for teachers? You are asked to pick where you would cut funding to. I felt this question was not something that could be answered in the very short amount of time given. There are so many aspects to take into consideration when thinking of such a complex issue such as this.   Answer Question