Teach for America Teacher Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 2, 2017

3.5

248 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spokane, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Teach for America (Spokane, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

Long, explain what people do after their two year commitment. I know that people would be happier if they explained every possibility when taching for two years, like MBA programs or gradschool, or networking events for after your commitment

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America in October 2016.

Interview

They have different timelines for applying. Easy process to follow because they have all of the dates and deadlines listed on their website. After applying, I was called for an interview, and I chose to do the video interview. Either web or in person, it's a group interview and you have to have a lesson prepared to teach others. I suggest using their online blackboard before the interview begins to practice your lesson.

Teacher Interview

Interview

Pretty long. There was the online application, then phone call, then online activity, then in-person interview. The 5 minute lesson was pretty nerve-wracking, but they are super super strict on the 5 minute length. They will give you a one minute warning, so by then you should be wrapping up.

Interview Questions

• What are some of the challenges you have faced, and how did you approach them?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Atlanta, GA) in September 2016.

Interview

All applicants are required to apply online first and upload transcripts and three references who will fill up online recommendations. There are also additional online activities which each applicant has to finish like why you want to work there and possible scenarios, along with reading preparatory material which they provide online. Also, each applicant is required to prepare a five minute lesson plan to demonstrate in the interview.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work with us?   1 Answer

The job requires relocation and I was unable to do so.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Teach for America (Berkeley, CA).

Interview

I was referred by a friend then spoke to an on campus recruiter. I submitted the online application and participated in a phone interview. That went well and I was given a final interview time. The final interview took up most of the day and I was given 5 minutes to teach a lesson to a group of around 8 people. There was a group interview and an individual interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview process is rather long. There is an initial application followed by a phone interview, pre-final interview activity/test, and then an in-person/online interview. You will be asked to teach a topic for five minutes to your group interview peers.

Interview Questions

• What was the hardest class you had taken in the previous year? Why was it difficult? And what you did to make it manageable.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (West Seattle, WA).

Interview

The interview process was very lengthy. I applied, was invited to a phone interview, invited to complete the online activity, invited to move to the final interview and rejected. I was saddened to hear I would not move on to join the Corp, but more so because I invested so much of my time into the process of interviewing and applying. The entire interview and application process took roughly 2 months or longer. The process needs to be shortened. If they are sure of not sending applicants to join the Corp, they should inform the applicants as soon as they know. It took 2 weeks after the final interview to find out I did not make it in. When I had my individual interview, the person did not want to hear what I had to say. The person seemed like she wanted to move onto the next person and finish my interview as fast as she could. During my final interview, I was convinced she already knew she did not want me to move on to the Corp.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you completed a project without any guidance?

Tell me about a time you were a leader or supervisor?

Have you ever quit anything?

Would you cut schools or funding for teachers? You are asked to pick where you would cut funding to. I felt this question was not something that could be answered in the very short amount of time given. There are so many aspects to take into consideration when thinking of such a complex issue such as this.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Dallas, TX) in April 2016.

Interview

I was contacted months before the interview by Teach For America and they showed interest in my resume and application. They set me up for a phone interview. The phone interview was fast and felt very rushed. I passed the phone interview and received an email letting me know I had moved to the 'Final Interview'. I had to submit my Identification and a copy of my social security card and my college transcripts. I selected the regions I wanted to work in. On the day of the Final Interview I was 10 minutes late. The building was downtown Dallas and we were told parking would be $18.00. I decided to take the Dart bus and the Dart Bus went straight past me. I had to run back to my car and drive downtown. It was heavy traffic and I had to wait to pay in a pay to park lot. I walked in 10 minutes late and knew that was a very bad thing. I almost decided not to come but I came anyway.

The process started off with the lesson plans. Then we had a group discussion over a question we were asked by our interviewers. The question was 'A school council has two options to try and meet budget problems with the local school district. They can close schools and transfer all the students to better performing schools or leave the school open and lay off a few teachers." We had to discuss the pros and cons of both approaches and describe why we decided on what we decided on.

We went to lunch and came back and were given our Final Interview times. I felt good about the process. I wasn't very nervous. Finally it was time for my final interview. We interviewed with only one person. I was asked basic questions about why I chose Teach for America and why did I want to be a teacher. Then the interviewer suddenly started focusing very, very intently on my previous job history. The other candidates were mostly right out of school or already working in the teaching field. I had been in Corporate America. The interviewer wanted to know why I had left my previous two companies (one company filed Ch. 7 Bankruptcy and the other laid off hundreds of workers and I was caught up in one of the layoffs). The way the interviewer was phrasing the questions made it seem she felt like or thought I was defective somehow because my company went bankrupt and I suffered a layoff. It's hard to describe but the line of questioning about 'why' I left my jobs and if I had ever 'quit' a job unexpectedly made me feel uncomfortable. It would have been better if I had 'no job experience' like others in the room. She could not ask these questions of them.

I would also answer a question and she would come back and ask the same question again. I would answer a second time and she would ask it again. I honestly don't know what she was looking for. I have always interviewed very well and have 99% of the time been offered the position when I interview but I didn't have a good feeling about this interview. She also asked me a strange question of "how did you feel coming into the interview late"? Umm... I felt like crap but of course I couldn't say that and all I could do was explain the bus went straight past me. He didn't even stop. So I had to suddenly run to my car to drive the distance.

After the interview was over I was told I would 'hear something'. I didn't have a positive feeling behind the interview.

Just a side note. Teach for America had on a bulletin board pics of all their previous hires and I saw no one over 25 years old. They had about 50 people hired out of the Dallas office and three were black and everyone else was white. They all appeared very light skinned as well. I didn't notice this but another interviewer did. They all appeared to have a certain 'look'. I didn't feel very good about this because that would mean I would more than likely be one of the only, if not the very very few, hires who was significantly over 21-25. I was also troubled by the fact so few of their new hires were black. Only three out of around 50 people? I'm not sure why this is but I could tell by the profile of those they usually hired I would more than likely not be hired. I was right. However, there are many opportunities to be a teacher. Teach for America is not the only avenue. There are several others. Many which are local.

For those of you who do not get the opportunity to work through Teach for America, please do not give up. Kobe Bryant was traded at one point in his career and even Oprah Winfrey was told she didn't fit the 'standard' of what a talk show host should look like (and she was fired) early on in her career. Teach for America has their 'profile' of who THEY THINK would make a good teacher (someone very young and right out of school with limited work history, usually white (going by the vast majority of the people they hire) and that's fine. But don't let their standard define YOU. YOU define yourself.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever walked off a job without notification. At all. Ever?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Berkeley, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Very lengthy. A long application, followed by (for some people) a phone interview, then a requirement to complete a number of other steps, like finding three recommenders, submitting a ton of paperwork, etc. I was really disappointed by my final interview - everything went decently well until the one-on-one interview. I didn't feel my interviewer liked me at all, and I felt that it was for virtually no reason. She hardly smiled and pegged me with question after question - I had little to no space to breathe or contemplate answers. She furiously typed the entire time I spoke, which made the whole thing feel very cold and impersonal. After the interview was over she was curt and unencouraging, which just made me all the more confident that I wouldn't be offered a position.

I did feel that I screwed up my 5-minute teaching lesson, but beyond that, I felt that I was a very strong candidate for a position. Plus, we were told that the whole process is incredibly holistic and that we "didn't need to worry" about the 5-minute lesson. Well, I'd have really appreciated some more feedback about what exactly made me unfit for a position, because I hardly feel my performance during the 5-minute sample teach indicates my readiness to serve children.

Funnily enough, I have experience on my resume that involves working with children, and even children from low-income or disadvantaged homes, yet I wasn't asked about this experience in any way. Rather, very minute, specific deails about one particular experience I had were zoned in on to the point of exhaustion.

Really don't understand the process, and wish every candidate was treated with equal optimism, respect, and courtesy.

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America in April 2016.

Interview

I submitted an online application which was followed up by an invitation to a phone interview. After passing this initial interview, I was then invited to the final interview in person.

Interview Questions

• Questions were related working through challenges, previous teaching experiences, time management and elaboration of application / resume.   Answer Question