Teach for America Teacher Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Teach for America Teacher Interview Questions

Updated Apr 13, 2017

3.5

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America in April 2016.

Interview

I submitted an online application which was followed up by an invitation to a phone interview. After passing this initial interview, I was then invited to the final interview in person.

Interview Questions

• Questions were related working through challenges, previous teaching experiences, time management and elaboration of application / resume.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Columbus, OH) in April 2016.

Interview

There was an extensive application with three references, then I was accepted for an interview. The virtual interview lasted a few hours. There was a group interview, where they explained the mission of TFA, then they had us (maybe 12 people) work together to come to a conclusion on a hard decision regarding letting go of teachers or closing a school. Following, we signed up for personal interviews. My interviewer was very kind and full of helpful information. She didn't ask any curveballs-- she mainly wanted to know how I handled responsibility and conflict in the past. I heard back maybe a couple weeks later and recruiters reached out to me multiple times to offer more information. They also continued to contact me after I turned down my offer. They really went out of their way to reach out and open the channel of communication, which was really helpful.

Interview Questions

• When did you work on something that didn't necessarily go according to plan and how did you handle that situation?   Answer Question

I disagreed ethically with the program's means

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

Mainly focused on leadership and how I handled particular situations. They asked a lot about conflict resolution and how you handled dealing with a troublesome party or situation. They also were very concerned about any past experience with tutoring or teaching.

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America in March 2016.

Interview

Online survey and questionnaire, video recording, phone interview that lasted around thirty minutes, in person half day interview where you had to prepare a sample lesson and do one on one interviews with TFA officials

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to work with a team and you disagreed with a teammate   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

Online application, then phone interview. sample lesson plan (time sensitive). group work- need to figure out a problem for a school environment. then 1/1 interview. Very important to do timing for lesson plan. You are also a student for the rest of the people in your group

Interview Questions

• Describe an experience when you worked with a group? How were you successful? How were you not successful?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Online application was a bit time consuming but not difficult. The phone interview was also easy but didn't stop me from being extremely nervous. The 9-5 group interview was fun! My group was very diverse, all ages, both genders, and every background imaginable. I enjoyed talking with the TFA leader and found him sincere. I found out within a week that I had been selected but couldn't accept at the same.

Interview Questions

• Describe your greatest professional succeses and failures   Answer Question
    • Describe a difficult situation encountered at work and how you solved the issue.   Answer Question

I couldn't move and apply for the state exams in time. I was in the last round of applications for the year. I was offered a position in the first week of May, needed to take and pass state exams by June 1st, and had to begin orientation in another state by the end of June. I just had too much going on at the time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (Chicago, IL).

Interview

The interview process was very in depth and took a lot of time. The actual final interview was a day long and very intensive. Needed to make a lesson plan and give the lesson in front of the other interviewees. There was a lot of pre-work to the interview both online and in person. I would definitely still recommend TFA, even without an offer.

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America in February 2016.

Interview

First you must fill out an extensive online application that includes your resume, GPA for each semester of college, and personal questions as to why you want the position. After the online applications are turned in they choose people for thirty minute phone interviews. The phone interview seemed too scripted and unnatural. I was asked about only one specific thing on my resume and they related every question back to that activity. This was hard for me because it didn't necessarily relate back to TFA. I felt like the conversation was forced and the interviewer wasn't super friendly or engaging.

Interview Questions

• Do you keep a planner and if so what does it look like?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

Long and ardous. Interview entailed group interview with a mock lesson and 1:1 interview. Also had a phone interview at the beginning. Have to prep quite a bit of the interview and can be a bit nerve wracking.

Interview Questions

• Model lesson plan. Had to get in front of other candidates and do a model lesson plan. had to do same thing when interviewing at various schools.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (Chicago, IL) in February 2016.

Interview

The first interview was on the phone where I was a lot of STAR Method questions. Then I was asked for an in-person interview a few months later. This was comprised of a teaching presentation in front of other candidates. Then you had to answer a group question. Finally you sat down with a TFA representative who asked you similar questions to the phone interview.