Teach for America Teacher Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Teach for America Teacher Interview Questions

Updated Apr 13, 2017

3.5

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Met with on-campus recruiter in October and soon thereafter submitted my written application for the third round deadline. Written application was short and pretty easy--just explaining why you're interested in and qualified for TFA. Usually the next step is a phone interview, but they deferred it in my case and I moved straight on to the online assessment. In the online assessment you answer some analytical and situational questions. Finally I had the in-person interview where I taught a short lesson and had a long one-on-one with a recruiter.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America (San Francisco, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

I currently live abroad and was able to do a phone interview via Skype.

My interviewer was very friendly.

Be prepared to answer questions that show off your ability as a Manager. They want to know you are capable of setting goals and reaching them.

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teach for America in December 2015.

Interview

Very long process, from online application to final interview. I understand why the process is so in-depth but I feel they are not looking at the right details.

Of course, this is just my opinion, but it felt like the characteristics they were looking for were made very clear and were more focused on the applicant's resume and less so on the applicant's character, fit, dedication, personality, etc, which was disappointing.

I could see the pain in my interviewer's eyes when I answered a question "wrong", which is to say not exactly how she had to check it off on her sheet, because she liked me and wanted me to do well. Unfortunately, I felt like I was interviewed on a checklist of very specific traits instead of on my overall ability to thrive as a teacher and student advocate.

Definitely worth a shot, at the end of the day teachers will be teaching students who really need their support. Doesn't matter how you feel about the program itself because it should be the kids that matter in the end!

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America in November 2015.

Interview

I was really disappointed in this interview process. Every question they asked was directed to an internship I had for only 3 months instead of asking me for experiences that occurred at my jobs which I have held for over a year. If my internship had involved working with children, then I would understand but my internship was at a film festival.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY) in November 2015.

Interview

As others have described, you do an online interview, a phone "screen" and if you get through the screen you move on to the final interview. Some people are skipped past the phone screen.

Really there is no reason they couldn't ask the same questions online rather than through the phone since it's an entirely scripted, impersonal interview and scripted answers are what is expected. I guess they just want you to be put on the spot to see what you say.

I was very disappointed by the process as I do come from a low-income background and had experience tutoring, being a TA, and volunteering for low-income people. A recruiter at my campus hyped up TFA for me and I was told repeatedly that it has been shown that teachers who have personal experience in low-income backgrounds do better as teachers for those kids, yet they did not ask me about any of that experience whatsoever or about any of the teaching/tutoring I did. I also don't happen to know anyone who was accepted to TFA who is low-income, mostly the average kids at my campus (prestigious school).

Interview Questions

• How do you stay organized, have you ever missed a deadline. They also asked very specific questions about one thing on my resume and asked what exactly my responsibilities were for that role and how I knew I was successful.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New Haven, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (New Haven, CT) in October 2015.

Interview

Short online application, (skipped) phone interview, and a final interview in a group. For the final interview, be ready to give a short teaching lesson! Watch some on YouTube, look up what makes a good lesson, and make sure you can finish in 5 minutes on the dot. Also be prepared to talk about your leadership experience-- be honest about mistakes but make sure to explain what you've learned!

Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Gainesville, FL) in October 2015.

Interview

The interview process is lengthy, and can be very stressful since you will eventually have to prepare a 5 minute lesson plan as part of your final interview. My advice about the lesson plan is this: talk about something you are generally passionate about or interested in. A friend of my did pathos, logos, and ethos. I taught a lesson about Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle: The Three R's of conservation. It was something I was passionate about, and it really showed during the lesson. Use a demonstrative piece if possible. Also, don't be deterred to conduct your group interview via online. I did mine online, and aside from some technical difficulties, everything went well.

Interview Questions

• Question: I thought this was a rather odd question, which is why I remember it, but the interviewer asked "As a college student, a volunteer, and an employee, you must be busy quite often. How do you make sure you complete deadlines in a timely manner?"   1 Answer
    • Name a time where you missed a deadline, or didn't complete something. How did you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ithaca, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach for America (Ithaca, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

there was an online application, then a phone interview for about an hour, then they had you fill out another questionare and a behavioral analysis and then there was a final interview that lasted a few hours.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (Columbia, MO) in September 2015.

Interview

A lengthy online application, followed by a phone interview, then a online assessment, then a formal interview. Each of these steps took time to either complete for or prepare. The people phone interviewing were friendly and able to give direct, relevant feedback on how I could make the final interview stronger.

Anonymous Employee in South Bend, IN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach for America (South Bend, IN).

Interview

Many steps, you have to do a phone interview, a group interview then individual interview, and create a lesson plan. You speak with an alum of the program to do a phone interview. You have to read and discuss an article with other people in the group. Then you have to read situations and discuss your answers with individual.