Teacher Created Materials, Inc Interview Questions in Huntington Beach, CA | Glassdoor

Teacher Created Materials, Inc Interview Questions in Huntington Beach, CA

Updated Jun 24, 2017

Interviews for Top Jobs at Teacher Created Materials, Inc

5 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Assistant Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntington Beach, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teacher Created Materials, Inc (Huntington Beach, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

After I submitted my application, I received an e-mail from an intern from the HR department who asked me to pick a time for a phone screening using Calendly. I did so, and she called me at the appointed time. She went over my experience, then asked me several questions and typed up my answers. She also asked my salary requirements, and I told her and asked if that was in the range they had budgeted, but she said she didn't know. The next day I got an e-mail from the hiring manager asking when I'd be available for a phone interview. We agreed on a date and time a few days later, and she called at the appointed time. She explained that she works remotely, and that was why she was conducting interviews by phone. She also asked about my experience and asked a few more questions, and asked me if I had any questions. I asked about the salary and stated what I was looking for. She said she didn't know what was budgeted, that HR decides that, but she thought it was less than I was asking for. She then told me that if I was selected for the next stage, I would be invited for an on-site interview, or if not, I would be informed by e-mail. About two weeks later I got an e-mail that they had decided not to proceed with my candidacy.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you were affected by a change over which you had no control and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question

Editorial Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Huntington Beach, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Teacher Created Materials, Inc (Huntington Beach, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I interviewed with one woman in one office and then was taken back to the front. Then was taken to another office and interviewed with two other women. They had a set of questions but were willing to go off script.

Interview Questions

• What do you do if you have an assignment and your work day is over?   1 Answer

Assistant Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Huntington Beach, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Teacher Created Materials, Inc (Huntington Beach, CA).

Interview

There was an initial email to submit my application and resume. Then I was called in for an interview, which included questions about my background, work history, values, goals for the future, etc. I recall meeting with at least 2-3 people: the editor-in-chief, the editorial manager, and maybe one of the editorial directors. Can't remember if it was all in one interview or they called me in a second time. But I met with 2-3 people separately. Then they called a week or two later with their decision to hire me. It was a pleasant experience for the most part and the questions weren't tricky or difficult.

Interview Questions

• I think the hardest question was a scenario question; I recall it was something like "What course of action would you take if you were having a difficulty with a project or fellow employee?"   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't actually negotiate much. It was my first full-time job and I wasn't savvy enough to negotiate anything. I'd recommend, even to young, first-time job holders, that they learn about negotiation going into the interview.

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntington Beach, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Teacher Created Materials, Inc (Huntington Beach, CA) in January 2012.

Interview

I was contacted by their recruiter because they "loved my resume" and "were having a tough time filling the position with highly qualified candidates." I

was very excited to interview with them and had an inital phone screening with the recruiter which went well. I was then interviewed by the Regional Sales Manager. We had very good repoire on the phone and he asked me to join their sales division for an informal dinner because the reps were in town for a regional meeting. I THOUGHT that this event went very, very well, but based on the outcome of my final interview, I now think that the reps were "checking me out" and would make recomendations as well to the Hiring Managers. After the dinner that evening I was to report to the corporate office the next day for a formal multi-process interview with the COO, the VP of Sales and another Regional Sales Manager. After a grueling ( yes grueling) 3 hour interview process, I walked out feeling exhausted but also very confident that I had answered the questions, and the "what would you do in these sales scenarios?" with honesty and actionable steps.

I waited for several days after this panel interview and after 4 days of not hearing back, called the HIring Manager only to be told that they felt my personality would allienate their customer base. WTF? I was speechless! Had these people not listened or heard my presentation skills, track record of winning over a TON of business and increasing sales by over 1.5 million in a few years? In all honesty, they blew it. They lost out on a representative that would of have sold the living dailylights out of their product. I have never been put through such a grueling, detailed interview process with happy hypocritical faces staring at me during an interview and saying things to my face like. "wow, what a great answer" and "You nailed that one, we like your thinking on that process..." and lots of other happy horse manure-- only to not be hired.

Since I am still looking in educational sales, all I can hope for is that I can go to work for a company that competes against Teacher Created Materials. The sales represenative that is currently in the position that I would have had, ( should we share territories) will definatley have her/his hands full with me as a competitior.

My advise to candidates interviewing with TCM... ask them straight up, what kind of personality and skill set they need and want in this organization. It is very clear that based on my detailed interview experience with this company, that if you are an assertive, growth oriented, and highly motivated sales professional -- you will not be hired by them.

Interview Questions

• Tell us how you have dealt with a difficult sales situation in the past?   1 Answer
    • What do you think make a good sales representative?   Answer Question

Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntington Beach, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Teacher Created Materials, Inc (Huntington Beach, CA) in May 2010.

Interview

About 2 weeks after I applied online, I was called for a phone interview, which went quite well. About two weeks later, I was invited for an in person interview and was asked to bring a portfolio and complete a proofreading test. I nearly canceled the interview because the proofreading test was 53 pages long and made me think what a tedious position this would be if I had to correct errors all day. I accepted the challenge and proofread the entire document and went to the interview. I was supposed to speak with three people, but the last person was called to an emergency at the last minute, so I was practically pushed out of the door. I did not send any thank you note because I decided right then I did not want the job. I never heard from them again and they still have a copy of my portfolio. Oh well, they may keep it because I have another one.

Interview Questions

• We have many deadlines to meet. How do you manage critical deadlines?   1 Answer