Teavana Assistant Store Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Teavana Assistant Store Manager Interview Questions

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teavana.

Interview

The first interview was extremely pleasant. I was interviewed by a General Manager and we talked about my background and my ability to help repair the bad reputation that Teavana gained over the years. I was asked your normal questions about experience in sales, leadership positions, how I trained employees in past jobs, and so on. We talked for about an hour and it was over all a really pleasant experience. It was a really honest interview about the troubles Teavana had with their reputation, and the particular problems this location had due to long term mismanagement due to a long streak of bad management for that location. All of the problems I was told about seemed like easy fixes, and I offered a few examples of how I fixed problems like theirs in previous jobs. The GM seemed impressed, and at the same time I wondered why no one knew how to fix these simple problems who already worked their.

About a few hours after I got home, I was called by the General Manager and they asked if I could come in again the next day to be interviewed by a District Manager.

Now, the interview with the District Manager was almost the complete opposite of my experience with the GM. The DM was late, and not only were they late, they had to go to the bathroom as soon as they showed up. Once they came back from the bathroom they had some idle chit chat with the people working. It was your general shop talk about numbers and rev per hour. They then told me they had to find my resume in back, I offered a new copy that I had on me. So, maybe half an hour after I was supposed to have my interview the DM showed up and then spent maybe 20 more minutes just wasting time.

Eventually we sat down in a loud food court. Unlike the interview with the GM (that took place in a quiet corner), the DM asked me textbook interview questions. Nothing wrong with that, but I quickly picked up that this was the first time they looked at my resume (and I feel like they just skimmed it). I spent a lot of time explaining my background and some times realizing too late that the GM probably didn't tell them a thing about our interview and what we went over. I felt like the interview went badly really quickly each time I had to explain my background after the DM would say something like "Oh, so you did this?" and I would follow up with "Oh, no, that part of my job involved..." or I would have to explain in detail my duties since the DM seemed very unfamiliar with typical retail roles. At one point they asked me "POS? What's that?" There was more to it, but the DM started to slouch in their chair, fidget with their earrings, and generally lean over to one side. I was kind of shocked by how unprofessional the DM interviewing me was.

It seemed like each time I had to go "Oh, no, that involved..." for basic retail roles, the DM got more and more disinterested.

I also made some comments about fixing the displays in the store since I noticed merchandise hadn't been restocked or straightened during the two days I had come in for interviews. I feel like this hurt me since they seemed to get annoyed at my observation. To be honest, a lot of their window merch wasn't orderly at all, entire displays out of order, fixtures not straight, and random sale stickers just stuck to things that weren't merchandise.

The DM also asked me some odd questions, such as if my current employer knew I was interviewing for a new job, if I had any other interviews, where I thought I would be in 6 months (after the fact I wondered if they had an extremely high turnover at this location), while everything else was extremely text book.

Probably the strangest thing about the interview was when they asked "So, what is..." when referring to a job on my resume. This was a job at a place that is rather famous (by that I mean it would be like asking "So, what is Walmart?") and I was really confused and just gave an explanation of the job. It was really odd that the DM seemed to not know all of these things about other big companies and basic retail operations.

Eventually they told me there were looking to hire a new Manager first, and that they would be hiring the Assistant Manager after that. I had found out later that they hadn't even begun to interview managers, and for some reason decided to interview Assistant Managers first despite this.

After the second interview that I knew I failed, I started to wonder if the DM was responsible for the bad management at this location. They seemed completely oblivious to how retail environments work as well as a complete lack of knowledge about their competition and other big retail companies.

So, Interview 1 was engaged, Interview 2 seemed clueless and unprofessional, and all for a job where they were only willing to pay me about the same that a cashier job at Best Buy pays (yes, this was a real shocker when I was told the pay).

Interview Questions

• Have you ever been given a task without any direction, what did you do.   Answer Question
  • How did you train employees at a previous job.   Answer Question
  • Have you had sales goals at your previous jobs, and how did you meet these goals.   Answer Question
  • Give an example of when your performance was critiqued negatively, what did you do with this critique.   Answer Question
  • Best/Worst employee you had.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Teavana

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teavana (Los Angeles, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Went to a job fair after applying on line. Interviewed with a recruiter and a store manager. I was told I would be getting a follow up call for a second interview with the district manager in about a week. Never happened even after I followed up with them I got the run around. I said forget it. They are very unprofessional and lacked talent.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carle Place, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Teavana (Carle Place, NY) in July 2013.

Interview

I applied for Manager In Training online, then got called for an interview. When I asked to confirm the position, the person calling hesitated, seemed caught off-guard by the question, then very quickly said, "This is for Assistant Store Manager, we don't have an available Manager In Training position." I agreed to an interview.

My interview was scheduled for 12 PM. I arrived the typical 15 minutes early; the manager was surprised by my arrival, seemed to not know what time it was, and continued working while I waited. She did not offer me any tea, nor to sample anything they were offering in the store, which I would think is customary for a place selling beverages. While I waited, the manager was working the sales floor, aggressively trying to make sales with patrons coming in.

The manager kept me waiting until 12:20 for my interview, and made no mention that we would be starting late. When I thought we would begin, she was shuffling a stack of papers behind the register, almost as if she was looking for my application. At one point during my 35-minute wait, a customer came into the store and mistook me for the manager.

After shuffling papers, the manager began restocking teas and organizing behind the counter. After, she went behind a corner and began texting on her phone. There was still no acknowledgement that I was waiting. When she was finally ready to begin my interview, there was no floor coverage to replace the manager, leaving only one person to run the store until our interview was over (red flag for administration/scheduling). She called my by the wrong name from across the store twice before saying, "What's your name, again?"

During the interview, she left her phone ringer on and actually received three calls. While she did not answer the calls, she let the phone ring while I was speaking.