Teavana Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 18, 2017

2.3

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, CT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Teavana (Manchester, CT) in November 2016.

Interview

Very simple and straight forward. The manager brought me over to the food court, asked me my past retail and sales experience. How well I am at upselling, etc.

Store Manager Position Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teavana.

Interview

Area manager emailed me and set a time to meet. We had an hour long conversation. We talked about Teavanas history, the buyout and changes that have come with that. She asked me about what tea means to me and what role does it play in my life. She asked some general performance based questions. She asked about strengths and weaknesses and asked me to walk her through a time when I had to have a difficult conversation with a team member and how I followed through with it. Overall the meet up went really well. Second interview was a call interview with the senior recruiter. She was very nice and again spoke about teavana, went over the benefits more in depth, and we talked more about compensation. She did also asked me what size teams I have managed and the volume of the stores as well. The interview was light, friendly and seems very natural. I have another phone interview with another area manager and the regional director next Saturday.

Retail Team Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Teavana.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted for a brief phone interview which led to a follow up in-person interview. Went into the store at specified time and met with the manager who I then accompanied to a cafe nearby. Pretty casual interview seemed mostly trying to identify if I was a right fit for the position. Had some hypothetical questions and discussed my interest and goals for the position.

Interview Questions

• What is one thing you would do if you noticed that you were interacting with customers, but failing to have these interactions lead to sales?   Answer Question
    • What caused you to be interested in this position?   Answer Question

Team Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Teavana (Santa Clara, CA).

Interview

The process began with the store manager offering a drink, on the house, before stepping towards a different location with resume in hand. Once everyone has sat down, the manager overlooked the resume and begins to ask questions of personal background, if there are any retail experience, is there any experience with financial management, and explaining the importance of commitment.

Team Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Teavana (Little Rock, AR) in September 2016.

Interview

basic questions to see if i had the qaulifications. it was very new and refreshing. i knew the basic job of being a shift leader seeing that i have trained to be one. i was a bit nervous because i thought i di dnt have what it tool to be a shift leader.

Interview Questions

• name a time you executed and order.
      name a time you had to deal with a rude customer an how did you handle the situation? and alot of other questions.   1 Answer

Negotiation

i was offered the part time position and 10 a hour plus commisson and benefits. with flexibility i can kinda pick and choose a schedule that will work for me. thet didnt have full time and i cant afford to work full time yet so it was a wonderful ex.

Assistant General Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Teavana (Kansas City, MO) in August 2016.

Interview

There were 2 interviews for this position. I interviewed with the store manager first, followed by the district manager a few days later. Both interviews were positive experiences. They began with more standard questions about work history, and moved into goals and other influences. The interviewers kept it low stress and low pressure which helped the interview run pretty smoothly.

Interview Questions

• Name a time that you faced adversity, and how did you resolve the situation?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

Application

I interviewed at Teavana (Omaha, NE) in August 2016.

Interview

Small, Brief, Slightly personal. Looking for someone who's motivated to work and genuinely likes to work with people and tea. Just be yourself and and eager to learn new things.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Teavana.

Interview

The first interview was extremely pleasant. I was interviewed by a General Manager and we talked about my background and my ability to help repair the bad reputation that Teavana gained over the years. I was asked your normal questions about experience in sales, leadership positions, how I trained employees in past jobs, and so on. We talked for about an hour and it was over all a really pleasant experience. It was a really honest interview about the troubles Teavana had with their reputation, and the particular problems this location had due to long term mismanagement due to a long streak of bad management for that location. All of the problems I was told about seemed like easy fixes, and I offered a few examples of how I fixed problems like theirs in previous jobs. The GM seemed impressed, and at the same time I wondered why no one knew how to fix these simple problems who already worked their.

About a few hours after I got home, I was called by the General Manager and they asked if I could come in again the next day to be interviewed by a District Manager.

Now, the interview with the District Manager was almost the complete opposite of my experience with the GM. The DM was late, and not only were they late, they had to go to the bathroom as soon as they showed up. Once they came back from the bathroom they had some idle chit chat with the people working. It was your general shop talk about numbers and rev per hour. They then told me they had to find my resume in back, I offered a new copy that I had on me. So, maybe half an hour after I was supposed to have my interview the DM showed up and then spent maybe 20 more minutes just wasting time.

Eventually we sat down in a loud food court. Unlike the interview with the GM (that took place in a quiet corner), the DM asked me textbook interview questions. Nothing wrong with that, but I quickly picked up that this was the first time they looked at my resume (and I feel like they just skimmed it). I spent a lot of time explaining my background and some times realizing too late that the GM probably didn't tell them a thing about our interview and what we went over. I felt like the interview went badly really quickly each time I had to explain my background after the DM would say something like "Oh, so you did this?" and I would follow up with "Oh, no, that part of my job involved..." or I would have to explain in detail my duties since the DM seemed very unfamiliar with typical retail roles. At one point they asked me "POS? What's that?" There was more to it, but the DM started to slouch in their chair, fidget with their earrings, and generally lean over to one side. I was kind of shocked by how unprofessional the DM interviewing me was.

It seemed like each time I had to go "Oh, no, that involved..." for basic retail roles, the DM got more and more disinterested.

I also made some comments about fixing the displays in the store since I noticed merchandise hadn't been restocked or straightened during the two days I had come in for interviews. I feel like this hurt me since they seemed to get annoyed at my observation. To be honest, a lot of their window merch wasn't orderly at all, entire displays out of order, fixtures not straight, and random sale stickers just stuck to things that weren't merchandise.

The DM also asked me some odd questions, such as if my current employer knew I was interviewing for a new job, if I had any other interviews, where I thought I would be in 6 months (after the fact I wondered if they had an extremely high turnover at this location), while everything else was extremely text book.

Probably the strangest thing about the interview was when they asked "So, what is..." when referring to a job on my resume. This was a job at a place that is rather famous (by that I mean it would be like asking "So, what is Walmart?") and I was really confused and just gave an explanation of the job. It was really odd that the DM seemed to not know all of these things about other big companies and basic retail operations.

Eventually they told me there were looking to hire a new Manager first, and that they would be hiring the Assistant Manager after that. I had found out later that they hadn't even begun to interview managers, and for some reason decided to interview Assistant Managers first despite this.

After the second interview that I knew I failed, I started to wonder if the DM was responsible for the bad management at this location. They seemed completely oblivious to how retail environments work as well as a complete lack of knowledge about their competition and other big retail companies.

So, Interview 1 was engaged, Interview 2 seemed clueless and unprofessional, and all for a job where they were only willing to pay me about the same that a cashier job at Best Buy pays (yes, this was a real shocker when I was told the pay).

Interview Questions

• Have you ever been given a task without any direction, what did you do.   Answer Question
    • How did you train employees at a previous job.   Answer Question
    • Have you had sales goals at your previous jobs, and how did you meet these goals.   Answer Question
    • Give an example of when your performance was critiqued negatively, what did you do with this critique.   Answer Question
    • Best/Worst employee you had.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at Teavana.

Interview

Very informal interview where I was simply asked a series of questions. Finally, I was asked to pretend that I was a Sales Associate who needed to convince them to buy it by talking about why it was a perfect fit for their home, why they had to buy it right now instead of coming back and why I believe in the product that I was trying to sell to them.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for us? What do you know about tea? Are you willing to learn about tea? Why do you think you are a perfect fit for us?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Teavana (Jersey City, NJ) in June 2016.

Interview

i went to the store and asked for the manager. the manager came out and greeted me then asked if i wanted some tea. then we went to the food court and had out interview there. the interview was relatively short. we had a good talk about past employment and teas. they want to know if you enjoy using tea and will be passionate about the job and customers