Telltale Games Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 1, 2017

2.9

Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Rafael, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Telltale Games (San Rafael, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

I had a phone interview with HR. It was the usually type questions - behavioral, tell me a time when. They went over my experience and the position responsibilities. I didn't get the job even though the qualifications are aligned with what I have experience in and I have a graduate degree. I think I dodged a bullet though based on what other reviewers have said in not being offered a position here.

Interview Questions

• How do you compare Telltale to others in the industry?   Answer Question

Gameplay Programmer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Telltale Games in April 2017.

Interview

I applied online and heard back from their recruiter within a few days to schedule a call.

However, things seem to be a bit disorganized on their end and I didn't hear back for over a week. I ultimately ended up emailing them again to get an update and found out that their recruiter had missed my initial email.

They then proceeded to schedule a call with me on the one day I mentioned I'd be unavailable.. after some back and forth things were put straight and I had a call with them a few days later.

They actually ended up calling my house phone (despite my cell being provided as my best contact). Luckily I was home at the time so we had the call as usual, but this confused me a bit.

The phone interview was pretty standard, but seemed much shorter than I expected. I suppose this might have been because they weren't all that interested, and I honestly feel like I could have done much better had there been less missteps along the way and my mind been a bit clearer by the time they finally did get in touch.

I understand mistakes happen, and the recruiter seemed really nice, and out of respect for the recruiter I'll just call this a neutral experience.

Interview Questions

• Are you familiar with our work?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about your past work experience.   1 Answer
    • Where do you see your career going?   1 Answer
    • Why Telltale?   1 Answer
    • Do you have any obligations to your current employer / future deadlines to complete before leaving?   1 Answer
    • What questions do you have for me?   1 Answer

Cinematic Artist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Telltale Games (Berkeley, CA).

Interview

Really nice. It was a panel of chill guys back in the day, and the current team doing cinematic interviews is really great as well. Storytelling chops are a must.

Texture Artist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Telltale Games.

Interview

They need to offer more than $50K to your entry employees in that part of the California. The cost of living is far too high in San Rafael for this to be a beneficial opportunity, especially for a young person that may not fully realize the costs and have their own student loans to pay for. Please raise your base salary to something that people can live on in that area and be fair to your workers.

I had a phone screening, art test, and group video interview that I passed before receiving the offer. It did include a small relocation assistance package, but I wouldn't have been able to afford moving across the country with it. As cool as it would be to work for a company like this, please don't be blinded by the prestige. Remember that you have rent, food, and possibly loans to pay for.

Interview Questions

• General questions about what I would be comfortable with working on and if I'm okay with some overtime.   Answer Question

Way too low of an offer for San Rafael's cost of living.

3D Environment Artist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Telltale Games (San Rafael, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

The process took about a month total. It took a week to hear back from my initial application. I did have to e-mail my contact back twice almost every time to get a response, it felt like this might have been an error with jobvite.

Interview Questions

• What kind of leadership were you under at my previous company?   1 Answer

Cinematic Artist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Telltale Games in August 2015.

Interview

Involved a test we needed to produced based on a script they provided. After submitting the test, there was an standard initial interview with HR and a more in-depth interview with members of the team.

At the group interview, some aspects of the job were made clearer to me, and it ended up being a different job than I expected.

Originally they were looking to hire someone within the next month, but I did not hear back for about a month and a half. When I received a response, they informed me that deadlines had shifted and they no longer needed to fill this position.

Interview Questions

• They asked about how the test I produced was made — considerations that went into it, how long it took, etc.   Answer Question

Gameplay/Content Programmer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Telltale Games (San Rafael, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Great interview process. Hard part was getting noticed considering their popularity and volume of applicants. Advice to job hunters, look for the jobs that fit your skills and experience perfectly. This job was that for me. Good luck!

Interview Questions

• Wanted to make sure I was familiar with their games. Some technical questions and a meet and greet with Programmers, Designers and Leadership.   1 Answer

Community and Video Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Telltale Games.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted to schedule a phone screen within a couple days. The phone interview was a bit more in-depth than I'm used to for an initial screen (heads up - they did ask about salary) so I would recommend being as prepared as you would be for an in-person interview. The recruiter I spoke with was very friendly and made the process a breeze.

I was invited for a one-hour, in-person interview with two members of the team the next week, which included a goody bag and a tour of the studio. Before the in-person interview, I was emailed a pretty standard form asking for current employment info and three references. This interview was more of a culture fit, and the tone was fairly relaxed. The questions for this round were much more casual. I learned a lot about the department, its role within the studio, and the direction they plan to take it in in the future.

The hiring team kept communication open during their decision-making process, which took about a month from the time of my on-site interview. I'm disappointed that I didn't receive an offer, but I can honestly say this was one of the least stressful job application gauntlets I've been through. You can tell they want to hire people who are as passionate about their games as they are. I was only left with positive impressions of Telltale's team.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected. If you've done your homework, you should be fine. :)   Answer Question

Tech Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Telltale Games in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online shortly after the role was posted. They contacted me to schedule an HR phone interview the next day. The phone screen was a very standard behavioral interview, no surprises there. However, the interviewer seemed disappointed that I didn't have a particular qualification, despite it not being a requirement (or even a "nice-to-have") on the job description. She also asked about salary, which I knew to expect after reading other reviews on here. I did a lot of salary research beforehand and settled on a range that I thought was extremely fair, given my salary history and the senior level of the role I was applying for. I had even anticipated Telltale's reputation for lower-than-market pay and adjusted my ask accordingly (to 15k below average) and she still balked at it. The entire tone of the interview changed after that. It was very awkward.

A few days later I was contacted for a second phone interview with the hiring manager. That interview was very pleasant -- the hiring manager seemed very positive about me and even stated at the end of the call that he thought I'd be a great fit for the role. I was left with a much more positive vibe than the first interview, and I was sure I'd clinched an in-person interview spot. But I got a rejection email the next morning. In retrospect, I'm certain the hiring manager already had a final candidate in mind and what I'd thought was a breezy, casual phone call was in reality just a cursory task to tick off his list. What an insulting waste of time.

Interview Questions

• Nothing hard, all standard background/experience/behavioral questions   Answer Question

Junior Sound Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Telltale Games (Charlotte, NC) in March 2015.

Interview

They contacted me by phone and the interview was very good. Unfortunately, I didn't get the position, but the whole process was quite efficient. I was contacted first by a HR member from the company, but the person that carried the interview was a different one. One thing that I noticed is that they asked me to choose a time for the interview. So I said a certain day at 4pm. Then they replied saying: ok, i'll call you at 3pm. But they called at 4! I was confused!

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the company?   1 Answer