Tencent Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Tencent Interview Questions

Updated May 10, 2017

2.8

Legal Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Tencent.

Interview

Interview conducted over the phone. Interview conducted in Mandarin. Asked about experiences working or living in China. Also asked about experiences with legal research. The final decision was made over a month after the interview.

Mobile Business Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Tencent (Palo Alto, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

The office in Palo Alto is only 6-7 employees large so the process is rather quick. 1 HR screener and 1 Phone Interview and 1 On-site with the BD Director. The office boasts a start-up culture but they have limited backing of the primary company in China. The outfit seems to be experimental and the expansion strategy to North America is very unclear. The interview was very direct with the domain expertise-level questions and a validation of how big your rolodex is to help assist with cold calling issues. Unfortunately the BD team is not strong enough to influence the Product Strategy due to a lack of technical fluency and thus the impact is rather limited in scope that has no hooks for business partners. No behavioral fit questions. Feedback was promptly given 1 week later.

Interview Questions

• What are the key verticals that Tencent should address? What are the benefits for the consumers and the businesses? How would you approach this partner? What are other monetization models that WeChat could evolve?   1 Answer

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Tencent (Palo Alto, CA) in June 2011.

Interview

I have 2 on site interviews. The first one last the entire afternoon from 2 pm to 6 pm. I have interviewed with 9 people. I later find out, 3 of them are from my project team, the other 6 are department heads and team leaders from other departments. The interview process is very friendly, non-intimidating. They never asked any "tricky questions" or brain twisters.

The second interview I met with the General manager of the company. It's a very fast and easy meeting, and I had a very good impression with the company.

About 2 days (I think) later, I got the call and was hired.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

It's pretty straight forward. They give me an offer which was a lot better than my job at the time, so I accepted without much negotiation.

Game Operation Interview

Interview

30 mins group discussion, asked about the business model and sustainability about a game, 5 mins HR and supervisor Q&A, and then they announced the decision on sight. The HR WAS RUDE AND DID NOT LISTEN TO OUR SUGGESTIONS AT ALL. At last they picked a girl that was the time keeper role.

Interview Questions

• What can you do to make the fee model more sustainable?   Answer Question

Senior Business Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Taipei (Taiwan)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Tencent (Taipei (Taiwan)) in November 2016.

Interview

First I'm interviewed with a hunter. I had simple self-introducing and then she described what this role is all about. And then she arranged a face-to-face meeting for me with the top manager. We had a conversion in their company and it was great. She asked some questions about my background and let me answer what I will do in some situation as a start-up will encounter in a new area.

Interview Questions

• How to begin selling a new solution if it's not well-known for marketers?   Answer Question
    • Based on your experience, what should we do to make agency partner trust our solutions and then help to sell to clients?   Answer Question
    • Do you like cold-calling?   Answer Question

Front-End Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shenzhen, Guangdong (China)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Tencent (Shenzhen, Guangdong (China)) in April 2016.

Interview

Not friendly, you will not be provided with online interview even though you are overseas. You have to take in person interview in Shenzhen and the HR will contact with you in the last minute to schedule a time.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Tencent.

Interview

There was 4 rounds. The first round is written technical questions via campus career fair. The second round is still technical questions and also resume review. The third round is manager interview more about your aptitude. The last is the general HR process.

Interview Questions

• The difference between stack and heap? And sort questions.   Answer Question

Video Journalist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Beijing, Beijing (China)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Tencent (Beijing, Beijing (China)) in September 2015.

Interview

I have an employee reference. I just filled the email application, sent my resume and a cover letter. They replied within one month and helped me finish the paper work. I also provided them with a video sample, but actually, it was not an additional help for the application.

HRBP Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Shenzhen, Guangdong (China)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Tencent (Shenzhen, Guangdong (China)) in June 2015.

Interview

the interview is pretty much behavioral. the interviewers asked a lot about my college life and what kind of organizations did i attended. and the technical questions are all about EXCEL and WORD.
    they also asked about why I applied for this job and how do i know about Tencent. these are all straight forward questions. So nothing surprising. And as i said, the turnover is pretty high. so they dont expect a perfect candidate to apply

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beijing, Beijing (China)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Tencent (Beijing, Beijing (China)) in June 2015.

Interview

I had three rounds of interview, many students were there for the interview. First interview is telephone interview, I was asked some basic computer science questions and my motivations. Second interview was technical interview from a software engineer in tencent, lasted for 30 mins, mainly about algorithms and C/C++. Third one was with HR, very easy.

Interview Questions

• Firstly asked sorting algorithms and C++ related questions. Talked about my projects in my CV and asked the most difficult part of my project and how I overcome it. Asked about my opinion in software industry and my hobby. I had three rounds of interviews. Overall is easy.   Answer Question