Tendril Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Tendril Interview Questions

Updated Jun 6, 2017

2.9

Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tendril.

Interview

Applied online and quickly heard back from someone in the talent acquisition department who was very friendly and helpful. Had a preliminary phone interview with her, then a more detailed phone interview was scheduled with the manager of the department I was looking to work in. Interview took about an hour on the phone. Learned about the background of the company, the structure of the department I was interested in and the nature of the role, as well as a few industry-specific questions and explanation of my skills/background. The manager was pleasant and the interview seemed to go fairly well, although I was told that they had talked to over 100 candidates and still hadn't found a match. Approximately 2 months went by and I was eventually informed that they had chosen someone from within the company for the position.

Interview Questions

• Fairly standard industry specific questions, then questions about what makes me different.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Interview

Had a call with a recruiter. Call went well and I interviewed with some members of the team I would be a part of. Spent two hours at the office and interviewed with three different people. About two weeks later I spent another two hours at the office and interviewed with the hiring manager and additional team members. The recruiter did a poor job of updating me about the position. I checked in and was told I was a finalist. Was told a decision would be made within a few days of my check-in. Then I received an email from the recruiter saying the hiring manager wanted another call. I spoke with the hiring manager for about 15 minutes. The hiring manager asked how much I wanted the job. Odd!! I've been dragged along through their ridiculous process and indulged them along the way. Don't think I would go through the process if I didn't want the job. However, along the way, I realized that there were too many other opportunities at companies that had their act together with the recruitment process. I never received an email or call from Tendril about the position. Talk about disrespecting my time. I ended up accepting a job elsewhere. Overall, I spent about three months going through the Tendril recruitment process and was left hanging at the end. Good thing I moved on.

Interview Questions

Tendril Response

May 12, 2017 – HR Manager

We regret that you had an unfavorable experience during your interviewing process. We talked to over 50 candidates for these roles in the past two months and the final offer was just accepted on May... More

Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tendril (Boulder, CO) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied online, and had a phone screen with the hiring manager a couple days later. Pretty conversational, just went over my background, experience, and a couple "how would you handle situation X" questions. In person interview with the same manager, and a team of engineers a week later. It was a panel style/conversational interview where I had to unit test a piece of java code, and then design an API. Asking questions was encouraged.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Tendril (Boulder, CO).

Interview

I applied throug a recruiter, the process take 2.5w, was because the manager was out of the town, frst is a phone screen with the manager, second round an onsite interview with 5-6 people, 3 of them are software developers, others are manager. Basically some whiteboard exercises about web and REST API, a code review with unit testing exercises and a couple of basic java questions. Engineers are great people seems to be very friendly and polite, facilities looks great.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Tendril (Denver, CO) in January 2016.

Interview

A couple phone screens (with in house recruiter and a manager), then in person interview which was about half group programming session and half whiteboard architecture talk. Went to lunch with manager and then interview was done.

The process was pretty drawn out, but I first contacted them right before Christmas and the process really didn't get started until after the holidays.

I thought the interview went well, but after about a week and a half they got back to me and declined to offer. I suspect that they had another candidate considering an offer so they deferred declining me until the other offer was accepted. I don't know for sure but that's what it felt like.

Proposal Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Tendril (Chicago, IL) in December 2015.

Interview

The internal recruiter contacted me by phone. We talked for about a half an hour about my skills and experience, the company culture and what the hiring manager was looking for in a person to fill the position.

Interview Questions

• What kinds of work have I done that would be important to finding success with Tendril.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Tendril in August 2015.

Interview

I had an initial conversation with the company recruiter. He asked general technical questions that I answered quite well and overall conversation was positive. Almost 2 weeks days later, they said they decided not to continue the process. It was odd since I did not get to give a proper interview and they took so long to respond back.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Tendril (Denver, CO) in March 2015.

Interview

Submitted a resume through their website and got a reply within a couple days. Phone interview was set up quickly but there was a little miscommunication on their side of who was doing the interview and what time it would start. I applied to this before recruiters talked to me about it. There were at least 5 different recruiters trying to push this job. It seems they are casting an extremely wide net.

UI Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Tendril (Boulder, CO) in March 2015.

Interview

1st Contact:
    Thirty minute call with Recruiter / HR - non-technical, went over my background to see if my skill set fit the position, overview of the history, current state and culture of Tendril. Very straight-forward.

2nd Contact:
    One hour call with a lead developer and quickly went over my background and technologies I work with, then jumped into fairly in-depth javascript topics and 'gotchas', my thoughts on best methods for continuous integration / automating testing and deployments. Then we spoke of my goals and favorite technologies and why... Topic: vanilla javascript vs. coffeescript vs. ES6, javascript frameworks - react vs. backbone vs. angular, ruby, BDD, node.js, etc...
    Overall, not highly technical. Mainly a high level discussion to see if I knew what I was talking about and if my knowledge / skills would match with their technology stack.

3rd Contact:
    Three hour in person interview. Met with an HR type person for a quick tour of the office, an overview of benefits, etc...
    Two and a half hour technical interview with a lead developer and a mid-level developer. Started with some very straight-forward HTML5 / CSS3 - for them to see if they should "wrap up early" then dove into some highly technical javascript problems. Followed by a general discussion of my favorite UI framework, which happens to be React.

4th Contact:
    One hour lunch with VP of Engineering and the Principal Engineer. General discussion on various topics. This was a "will he fit in here" / "would we want to work with him" lunch.

Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Tendril (Boulder, CO) in March 2015.

Interview

I submitted my resume and cover letter through Jobvite. About 2 days later I had an initial phone interview that was very conversational and focused on my knowledge of general programming concepts. After passing the first phone interview, I was brought on site for a interview with the developers. The onsite interview consisted of coding exercises, whiteboard design talks, and general conversation. They also took me out to lunch and then I followed up with the HR people and was on my way after about 4 hours. I had 2 more phone interviews after my onsite, they were higher level vision conversation, and then one more onsite at the very end to answer some more questions that I had. Overall, everyone I met was very friendly and knew their stuff, it was a very positive experience and only made me want the job more.

Interview Questions

• How does the GIL affect parallelism in Ruby and Python (specifically the C interpreter versions.   Answer Question
    • Lots of conversation around testing, BDD particularly.   Answer Question
    • Explain/Whiteboard how you would design a back-pressure sensitive system for a set of devices all talking to a single endpoint.   Answer Question