Tesco Interview Questions in Bristol, England | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 14, 2017

1.8

6 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Tesco (Bristol, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

Firstly I applied to work for Tesco using their online application process. I was asked to input personal information and upload my passport for the usual 'right-to-work checks'. I was then given an online questionnaire after applying for a specific role, which took around 10 minutes to complete. The questions were similar to: "A customer approaches you asking for Corn Flakes, they are out of stock. Do you..?", and were all multiple choice.
    After completing the questionnaire I was informed I had passed it, and moved on to the next stage of the process. It took around 8 days from clicking apply, to being invited to an interview, which I was notified of by email. I booked the interview for three days time, and was informed it would be a "competency-based interview."
    I arrived at the store for the interview and was taken into the back of the store and told to wait in the employee canteen. I noticed other individuals in the canteen were wearing suits, and found out shortly after that it was a group interview. I was not informed of this but happy with it anyway.
    After waiting for around 10 minutes a group of five of us were called into the meeting room and greeted by the HR/Recruitment manager, and a payroll assistant. The individual conducting the interview did not seem interested at all and was very monotonous and seemed to read everything off of a sheet, and I could tell he was very disinterested.
    First of all, we were asked to fill out health forms which asked us to note down any disabilities/illnesses which would cause us difficulty during the role, for example: "Do you have issues standing up for long periods of time?". After this we were asked to fill out an availability form, which required us to tick the boxes of when we could work. These were days and hours between midnight and 11 pm.
    After looking on Glassdoor prior to my interview, I knew which sorts of questions we would be asked, and they did come up. We were all asked in turn specific questions (noted below) and took it in turns to answer. I tuned my answers to the role and used the S.T.A.R method, which was a great way to structure the answers.
    Once completed we were informed of procedures at the store and our hourly rate. After all of this we were given a 'team-building/group exercise', which was an activity to see how we would rate the importance of items in a particular scenario, and then asked to talk with the group on how we would rate them, being carefully watched by both interviewers.
    Finally we were told we would be "helping with colleagues on the checkouts" and were assigned a checkout to be positioned at for around 10 minutes. We were not told what we should do, so I decided to greet customers and offer to pack their shopping for them, being as courteous as possible. After around 10 minutes we were all called back into the room and asked if we had any questions. The interview took around one hour and we were told successful candidates would be notified within 7 days if they had the job.
    After 7 days I did not hear anything, so I emailed the interviewer just to say I am still interested in the role and would love to work at Tesco.

After 15 days Tesco withdrew my application.

Festive Colleague Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Tesco (Bristol, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

I was invited to a group interview with about dozen others. There was some form filling at the beginning. Then we were divided into two groups with a supervisor each group. We played a situational game in which we were, hypothetically, lost in the middle of the sea on a lifeboat. We were given a list of items to rank with 1 being the most necessary item to keep and 15 the least. After individually ranking them we then had to discuss in the group and agree on what number to assign to each item. The game end when we were told the true rankings of items and we had to work out the difference between our own rankings and our group rankings to the correct answers. Tip: the mirror can reflect light, so will be the most important one.
    After the game we stayed in the same group and the supervisor asked us competency questions, in a very casual and relaxed way so I personally did not feel any pressure. For each question the supervisor asked, we took turn (voluntarily) to answer until everyone had given theirs. There were about four questions and I found them easy.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the time you went out of your way to do something for others.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Tesco (Bristol, England (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

One to one interview after successful online questionnaire.
    A face to face interview with a shift leader, around 5-6 questions which were all scored and all based around situations I had experienced and how I acted, to judge my customer service abilities.

Interview Questions

• Describe a difficult situation you have faced in your current employment   Answer Question

Checkout Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tesco (Bristol, England (UK)) in April 2016.

Interview

The process was simple quick and easy, I was offered the job there and then. They were also very accommodating when I was unable to attend the initial interview they ensured me that there will sill be positions available for a later date interview.

Interview Questions

• Was a group interview split us into groups and asked us to discuss examples of when we have had bad customer service and how we would handle it.   1 Answer

Personal Shopper Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Tesco (Bristol, England (UK)) in July 2015.

Interview

I had to apply online. complete an online assessment which had about 30-40 questions and after a week got a call to come in for an interview. The interview was a group interview with 7 people altogether. The interview consisted of two interview questions thrown out to the group and we were all given an opportunity to speak. it lasted from 1:30pm to 3:30pm and it mostly was the interviewers speaking and after the questions had a tour of where we would be working whilst our Passports/NIno,etc were being copied. After wards we were asked to give our availability.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of time you went above an beyond to help a customer or person?   Answer Question
    • Give an example of a situation when you've had to change your behaviour or how you do things?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Tesco (Bristol, England (UK)) in September 2012.

Interview

Downloaded the application form from the website filled it out and handed it in to store. Then had a brief informal interview with the store manager before being offered the Job.

Interview Questions

• How confident are you dealing with members of the public?   Answer Question