Tesco Checkouts Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 17, 2017

2.1

8 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Checkout Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stoke-on-Trent, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tesco (Stoke-on-Trent, England (UK)) in July 2017.

Interview

I got a phone call to set up a one to one interview. This was not the original job I applied for there but I thought I'd give it a go. The interview consisted of filling in forms and then answering some questions. After this I was taken to the checkouts and put with one of the employees for about 10-20 mins to see how I interact with customers and if I enjoy it. I was then told I would get a call in a few days. I got a call in a few days saying I was successful and I was given a choice of hours. Overall the interview process was great as both the manager and the employees made me feel very welcome. I think that as long as you show you are friendly and you look at some of the questions on this website before the interview, think of some answers and you'll be fine.

Interview Questions

• What was a time you went above and beyond for a customer, a friend or a family member?   Answer Question
  • Name a time you had to change your attitude towards someone?   Answer Question
  • Why did you choose retail/Tesco?   Answer Question
  • When was a time you had to work in a team?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Tesco

Checkouts Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Tesco.

Interview

Overall the interview lasted around half an hour to 45 minutes. I was bought into an office by one of the managers, who had all my paperwork printed out. She looked through my paperwork and asked occasional questions whilst I filled out a few forms. The forms included bank details, any information on health issues, and declarations that I understand health and safety within the work place, plus just general information like address etc. They also had to double check my passport, which was all ok.
    I was then asked a few interview questions taken from a booklet, and my answers were written down and scored. The answers were very general interview questions, mainly to find out your past experience within work at how you deal with situations. I was also asked what hours I was available for.
    Once the questions had been completed, I was told all the information about the job, contracted hours, bonuses, rate of pay, and then any questions that I had afterward.
    I was quite nervous for this interview, and the manager picked up on that. The interview itself is very relaxed and easy, so try not to be nervous like I was.
    For this interview I wore a white t-shirt with a pleated detail, a simple necklace, black cardigan, black trousers (not jeans), and simple black boots. I removed any facial piercings as I know they do not allow them in the work place.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of when you have gone above what is expected in order to help a customer.   Answer Question
    • Give an example of when you have had to adapt yourself in order to suit a customers needs.   Answer Question
    • Tell me of a time that you were disappointed either within or out of work.   Answer Question
    • Is there anything you have felt nervous of doing within the work place?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I heard back within 2 days of the interview. Further contact is to be made with regards to my induction date.

Checkouts Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Tesco in June 2016.

Interview

Was a very relaxed and formal interview .i got told abit about tescos and filled a health form out then was asked about 5 questions nothing hard just common sense all about customer service .

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was offered 13 hours but because needed childcare rang and explained and got the extra hours .

Checkout Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chichester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Tesco (Chichester, England (UK)) in October 2015.

Interview

Online Application ,Formal introduction to store manager and shop. An All day induction course. An hour shift in area working watching and following a colleague . On first couple of shifts you are helped on tour shift by a colleague until you feel confident to work alone, they then hover around in background if you need help or reassurance.

Interview Questions

• Describe an action you have done for someone that has made them feel good   Answer Question

Checkout Interview

Anonymous Employee in Warrington, North West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tesco (Warrington, North West England, England (UK)) in October 2015.

Interview

Filled in online questionnaire( so long as you always put the customer first you will always pass these) got interview along with about 15 others had to watch videos, build a paper tower in teams ( to show you can communicate with others) them went for a quick chat with our line manager. Everyone got a job even a lad who turned up late. So I think if you've a interview then you've got the job.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time you have gone out of your way to help a customer   1 Answer

Checkout Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwich, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tesco (Norwich, England (UK)) in September 2015.

Interview

We were taken to the staff cafe and had to wait while our documents were copied. Then taken to the interview room, just went round the room saying our name and where we lived. Next we were split up, half the table stayed upstairs and had 1 on 1 interviews and the other half went down to the shop floor. I went to the shop floor first and stacked some shelves and then packed customers shopping, this was a little awkward as some customers didn't want their shopping packed. After about half an hour we were taken back upstairs and had our 1 on 1 interviews. This went ok and wasn't as hard as I thought. After reading reviews about role play and making things from paper I was a little worried but we didn't do it. After two weeks I had a call to say they are still going though applications and will here shortly, so no offer as yet

Checkouts Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Tesco in June 2011.

Interview

Hiring process - essentially, you will be taken into a room for a group interview with about 8-10 other people. There will be some form filling and some questions. Then you will have a one on one with the checkout manager. It consits of pretty much, 'what hours can you work' and 'when you can start'. Not sure about the firing process, ive been at my extra for the last year and have not seen anyone been fired.

Interview Questions

• The flexi contracts; nothing is too difficult at tesco, just they will ask simply questions and slowly manipulate you and think what you are doing, perhaps form filling, is just a formality. They do everything for a reason. Just remeber that. Make sure you are prepared for any questions at the start of the interview or even when you are on the job, be three steps ahead of your manager.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Set salary, monthly. Hours can be negotiated, but you will most likely start off on a tempoary contract at a min of 7.5 hours plus any 'extra hours' which they deem necessary.

Checkout Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Tesco in May 2010.

Interview

received a phone call about they want to interview me in person. arrived in smart attire had a brief introduction about myself in the group, tour the store and tried to seat on the checkout with the checkout staff and they teach us the basic in doing checkout and we were watched on our performance and probably graded, then after we went to a group interview asking scenario questions then after we are about to have a 1:1 interview but in my case they just cancel it as the other members of my group cant meet the scheduled time as they have other job to do, and when i got home the same day i received a call i was one of the applicants being chosen and ask me to come back for the induction.

Interview Questions

• how to handle demanding customer and you're about to finish your shift and you still have unsettled business with the customer? What would you do?   Answer Question