Tesco Customer Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Tesco Customer Assistant Interview Questions

Updated Mar 22, 2017

2.2

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hastings, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Tesco (Hastings, England (UK)).

Interview

Online questionnaire - auto response. Then meeting with the manger. Meeting went really well, the fact (at 19) had a good set of jobs under my belt made the process a lot easier. The interview felt more like a casual conversation towards the end.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Tesco

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tesco (London, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied online through their career website for the role of customer assistant for an express store in East London. One day after the expiry date of the job, I got a phone call for a group interview in the next 2 days and also received an email for the interview details at one of their big supermarkets. There were about more than 10 people at the time I chose (there had been a group before that and would be another group after that). The store managers and a representative of HR department introduced themselves, the company, the job and explain how the recruitment process would be applied for this role. Firstly, they needed us to fill in the application forms to confirm which store we had applied, available working hours and confirmed our own information and health conditions. After that, we divided ourselves as a group of 3-4 people for doing workshops at their supermarket while other groups would go for the interview, and then exchanged the process. They said the reason why they let us do the workshops (arranging the goods on the shelves) to see our performances and gave us a chance to see if the role is suitable.
    When my group finished the workshops, a store manager took us back to the office for the interview. The other two people in my group applied for the same express store so they were interviewed together by a store manager. A guy and I applying for the same store so a store manager interviewed us, but he was not the store manager at the store I applied. The store manager then asked each 4 common questions (the area of residence, the store we applied, why Tesco and what we see ourselves at Tesco in the next 3 years) and 5 different situation/ examples questions for each. When all was done, he asked if we had any questions for him. I asked him if they would let us know the result in 2 weeks (as what I had heard at the beginning). He replied that they would give us a call if they offered. The guy asked him when we started to work if we received an offer. The manager said there would be a training if they offer...

I have been waiting for one week since my interview and have got any phone call. I remember the HR said that they would email in 2 weeks if the application is unsuccessful.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had to change your behavior depending on who you are talking to?

(I read all the situations questions people mentioned here to prepare the answers in advance, so please take a look all the interview reviews before your interview).
      Answer Question

Customer Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Tesco in March 2017.

Interview

I applied on the 8th of March 2017 for a 16 hour Customer Assistant position at a local Tesco express store. Upon completing the fairly easy and straightforward application form online, I was contacted on Monday 13th March to go in for an interview the next day. I anticipated the 1 on 1 interview which I received, which was taken by the store manager who was friendly and made me feel at ease throughout. The interview was informal and I was told of all the perks of working at Tesco and was asked if I had any holidays booked and how flexible I was. It lasted about 30 minutes and I was told I would be contacted the next day if I had got the job or would be emailed in a few days if I was unsuccessful. He took my sizes for uniform whilst I was there and also told me about the induction days that would be taking place on Thursday and Friday if I was successful. I was phoned the next day and was offered an 8 hour contract instead of the 16 hour contract I applied for, with the opportunity of lots of overtime.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you have been under pressure. How did you overcome it?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for Tesco?   Answer Question
    • What are your feelings towards following rules and procedure?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever been in a situation in which you were uncomfortable? How did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

The original 16 hour contract I applied for contained fixed hours which interfered with my university classes, I brought this issue up during my interview and was offered less hours as a result to fit around this.

Customer Assistant Interview

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Tesco.

Interview

Was a fairly easy and laid back interview. The day started with a group activity of creating a paper structure to be taller than 6ft, they're looking for good leadership skills and an ability to work as a team under pressure, at the end of this activity there's a self reflection period where you evaluate your performance. Then came the one to one interview, it was chilled and laid back with the standard competency questions. After that we were taking to shadow the cashier at the checkout, this seemed pointless as it only lasted for 5-10 minutes. Had the interview today so I am waiting on a response.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you went above and beyond to help a customer?   Answer Question

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hove, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tesco (Hove, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

The woman who interviewed me (not the manager) was very friendly and made me feel at ease (this was my second job interview ever). It took place in a small office at the back of the shop and was very casual. We started off just having a chat and she went through the process etc then asked about my availability, if I had any holidays already booked, told me about all the opportunities for working extra hours, the pay etc. before asking me some questions. At the end she told me about training days and what would happen if I did/ didn't get the job. The questions were quite easy to answer and all the questions I got asked have been listed on glassdoor.

Interview Questions

• Name one time you had to act/ behave in a way which you weren't used to/ comfortable with....   Answer Question
    • Name a time you took on a role that was out of your comfort zone...   Answer Question

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Swansea, Wales (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Tesco (Swansea, Wales (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

I got a call for an interview just less than a week after I applied. The interview process consisted of a Health & Safety talk, then half of us had to work at the checkouts, the interview was next and then with the same group of people we had to create a tower of paper which had to be at least 6ft tall. The people carrying out the interview had a lot of energy which made the process more enjoyable and comfortable.They said they would call you with 48 hours if you got the job or email you if you didn't. However, I was never contacted.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time when you went out of your way to deliver great customer service   Answer Question
    • Explain something which you had never done before   Answer Question

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Folkestone, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Tesco (Folkestone, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

Group Interview. Filled in work availability to start. Group chat about why you want to work for Tesco, chat about yourself and what you have done, followed by a 10 minute taster experience on the shop floor. Interviewers were nice.

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Solihull, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Tesco (Solihull, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

I Arrived a few minutes early for my interview at Tesco Express Dorridge and went to the checkout desk to let one of the staff members know i was here. i was shown to the staff canteen and one of the staff members said wait here and you will be seen soon and feel free to make yourself a drink. while i was in the waiting room i met one of the candidates that was waiting to be interviewed. his name was James and he had previously worked in HMV in solihull. i have some small talk with him until he got called for his interview. i made a cup of tea while i was waiting for my interview and i revised my interview notes

So.... I was called for my interview and went into the store managers office. I Firmly shook his hand and introduced myself to him,He told me to take a seat, He then asked to see my right to work documents which i showed him. he then told me that the interview was a two part process and then he told me the benefits of working there, the pay, and when i would hear a decision from him. The interview questions were pretty straightforward and easy to answer if you have prepared them. i then did a work sample with Becki and then left the store.

Later on in the day i had an automated email from them telling me i have been unsuccesful. I hate automated emails and i am going to phone up later on this week and ask for verbal feedback

Interview Questions

• Give me a time when you had a setback and how did you deal with it   1 Answer
    • Give me a time when you had to help a new colleague settle in   1 Answer

Customer Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Tesco.

Interview

30 min interview. Behavioural interview questions. Straight forward. One person asking questions and another man taking notes.They spent approx 5 mins of the interview describing the job, the amount of staff they are looking to hire from these interviews, pay and the next step if successful. Interviewer had a relaxed personality which helped! Answered each question using an example from previous experience which is definitely what they look for

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations. Offered position as is

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mansfield, England (UK)

Application

The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Tesco (Mansfield, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

Very straightforward . Very friendly and easy to talk to . Very standard interview questions all in all a positive experience . 5 days from application to job offer, would definitely recommend

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you've worked under pressure and how it made you feel   Answer Question