Tesco Interview Questions in Edinburgh, Scotland | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 13, 2017

2.4

10 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Tesco (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)).

Interview

Just sharing my interview at a Tesco in Edinburgh to help future applicants.

So last week I had my group interview at my local Tesco. I applied online and was given a call back 4 days later inviting me to a group interview. So on the day I arrived at the store and was taken to the canteen to wait. Then once the 4 of us had arrived the interviewer took our passports and NI document to verify and meanwhile we filled out forms based on our availability, health conditions, opting in to work Sundays things like that...

After all that was done the two interviewers asked us 3 questions which I will list below, all of them like name a time when... // Your answers can be of reference to school, uni or any previous work experience. Just to note if you haven't worked before this can be tricky. Once we finished the questions we were taken out to the checkout area of the store for 20 minutes to show that we were able to interact with the customers. Good tip is to smile and make conversation. And then that was the end!

I'm awaiting to hear back but I'm hoping the interview was a success.

Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tesco (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in August 2017.

Interview

I was interviewed with 6 other people. We filled in some forms first for halth and safety and our availability. The interviewer asked us two questions which we answered in our group, you just spoke up when you wanted to. Then we were asked in our group to build a six foot tower from paper and masking tape and have it stand for one minute. The interviewer then asked if we had any questions and that was it.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you went above and beyond for a customer   Answer Question
    • ​Name a time you were asked to do something you had never done before   Answer Question

Customer Assistant - Checkouts Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tesco (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

Informal and friendly- one to one. I was asked lots of questions about scenarios at work and what I would do- things like when did I feel I had made a difference at work- I think they had already chosen me as he helped me out with answers. Best advice would be to write a very confide personal statement about yourself. Take time to think through each question and if in doubt just talk!!

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Tesco (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in July 2016.

Interview

was really laid back group interview, was only myself and 2 others. Was quite long though 2 and a half hours!! we had to make a 6ft sculpture out of paper which had to stand then we had to go down to till area and help customers pack their bags. Overall was easy and relaxed.

Interview Questions

• can you tell me about a time when you were asked to do something you were uncomfortable doing?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Tesco (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in June 2016.

Interview

I was invited to an interview room, given some forms to fill out detailing my name, position I was applying for, and then ticked boxes to show my availability. I was then asked 5 questions as part of the interview, there are 5 sections including things like personal integrity, and the interviewer chooses a question a or b from each section to ask you. Once the interview was over, I took a walk around the shop with my interviewer who told me more about the role and took me around the sections I would be working in if I got the job. At the end of the interview I was offered the position on the spot.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you went the extra mile to help a customer.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you have had to enforce a policy.   Answer Question
    • How do you adapt the way you speak to different people?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you overcame a disappointment, and how that made you feel.   Answer Question

Customer Delivery Driver Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Tesco (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in July 2015.

Interview

Filled out application on line. Received a call to attend interview. Was not made aware at any time this was a group interview or how long it would take. They took passport and driving licence. Made us fill out uniform request etc. Manager conducting interview couldn't even tell me the Wage! Never told any of us about our roles at all. We had a group exercise which was a total joke. Asked us questions in a unstructured manner with everyone shouting out answers trying to better each other but the team conducting the interview were uninterested glimpse.

Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Tesco (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

I saw the vacancy online and applied here. I then received a phone call just twenty minutes later to arrange an interview and was told it will be a group interview.

The group interview was eight people in total (including myself). We filled out forms and the HR manager gave us some general information about how things work.

We were then split into two groups of four, where one group would work on the shop floor for roughly ten minutes while the other group were in the boardroom discussing questions asked by the interviewers. The groups then rotated.

We then in our groups had to build a 6ft tower out of paper that stood for 2minutes. We had 5 minutes to plan it, 20 minutes to build it and 5 minutes to present it.

Five days later I received a phone call saying that my interview was successful and inviting me to induction on Saturday.

Interview Questions

• When have you done something for someone that wasn't expected of you?   Answer Question
    • When have you gone out of your comfort zone?   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Tesco (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

Very positive had a one on one interview with the interviewer. The lady was courteous and professional but was able to make me feel at ease as I was nervous. She explained the procedure that she will ask questions and that I should answer all questions as much as possible. She asked personal questions about myself and questions about certain scenarios in supermarkets. Through this they would know more about how I handle pressure and how I perform work.

Interview Questions

• Why did you apply in Tesco?   1 Answer

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tesco (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied through Tesco Careers website. In about two weeks got a phone call inviting to attend an interview.
    It was a group interview. Each of us had to introduce themselves, followed by answering a couple of simple questions to demonstrate your previous experience. After that there was a teamwork-based challenge of building a tower from paper.
    The whole process felt pretty relaxed, everyone seemed warm and friendly.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to deal with an angry customer.   Answer Question
    • Name a time when you had to do something that was not expected of you.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Tesco (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in December 2014.

Interview

After arriving the group of six people was split into two groups of three. We were asked to build a 6 foot tower with a three coloured flag on top out of 6 sheets of A2 paper. After this there was a brief one to one interview followed by a group interview where we were asked to discuss what we thought good and bad customer service was. Following this we were taken down onto the shop floor where we did some stock replenishment followed by some time on the check out.

Interview Questions

• I didn't feel the here were any unexpected or difficult questions.   Answer Question