Tesco Interview Questions in Welwyn Garden City, England | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 9, 2017

20 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Customer Relations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Tesco (Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)) in August 2017.

Interview

Questions from different attributes 3 from each. choosing different circumstances / scenarios.
    resilience, responsiveness, empathy, motivation, collaboration, technical skills ,and innovation and career history etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

Interview Questions

• when did I question a colleagues decision   1 Answer

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Tesco (Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)) in June 2017.

Interview

I recently applied to Tesco's graduate software engineer scheme and was unsuccessful but this is not the focus of my complaint. My complaint is with regard to the recruitment process, how it was handled and the feedback provided.

First, I was scheduled for a phone interview, I rescheduled my work and day around the interview but never received a phone call or email. I left a message for the recruiter and attempted to call her multiple times over the following days to no avail and only received contact back via email the next week (4-5 days after the scheduled date).

Second, after being successful in the telephone interviews I was given less than 48 hours notice that I was to attend an assessment day, leaving me no time to prepare anything as I was out for the whole day when I received the email and working the day before the assessment day. When I got to the assessment day I found everyone else had at least a week to prepare.

Third, I was told during the phone interviews that I could carry out the programming task in a language of my choosing (C#), when I got to the assessment day I was told to use a different language (Java) that I had never used before and a different editor, so I was immediately at a huge disadvantage to the other participants who had used the language before or were told the language they would be using. This fact was also not reflected in the feedback which stated that I required a lot of help with syntax and the editor, which is to be expected when I am using a different language in a different editor.

Fourth, when I replied to the recruiter, telling her my thoughts on the feedback she provided more verbal feedback which said: "completed the task in java which he had a knowledge of". This is untrue, I have never used Java before the assessment day and having to complete a task in another language and editor no matter the similarities is unfair. Which also makes it seem like some of the feedback provided is false or blanket statements as her verbal feedback stated I had a knowledge when I made it clear to the assessor that I had no knowledge or experience with it at all.

It is fair to say the entire process has been nothing but hassle, wasting my time and providing no helpful feedback to improve myself.

Interview Questions

• Most questions were typical leadership roles, tell me about a time you... and getting to know you. There was a 3D CV presentation section for 10 minutes, a programming exercise, a group exercise and another aptitude test.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Tesco (Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)) in June 2017.

Interview

Phone Interview followed by a 3 hour on site interview in WGC. The face 2 face was as if it was for a technical architect position.

The 3 on-site stages were: Competency, Code Review and System Design.

Competency was unstructured, no questions about how I would handle situations. I described why I wanted to join Tesco supporting with figures, but the interviewer was unimpressed.

Code Review had no direction. I was shown a project and handed over the laptop. Then it was up to me, to call their code good/bad. pointed out a lot of production issues with the code, which probably didn't sit well with the interviewer.

System design was as if it was for a technical architect. I was expected to know how cryptology with a scanner works.

Interview Questions

• How would you write a class that performs all responsibilities of providing an endpoint and fetching the data from the db?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tesco (Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

Positive experience, although Tesco isn't for everyone.

Tesco really seems to value its graduates! We got generous expenses payments to cover travel and hotels, which was useful as a student. We were hosted in a very fancy hotel, and were provided with free lunch and refreshments throughout the day.

There were a number of current grad scheme students/employees at the assessment centre, who were there solely to answer our questions and give us tips/encouragement. There were so many Tesco employees (some pretty high up in the business) there to assess us, showing the interest Tesco has in its graduates.

My tip would be: listen to EXACTLY what they are assessing in each activity. From reading my feedback report, the assessors are literally only interested in these capabilities. For example, if they say that they are assessing teamwork and creativity in the first task, they are honestly not interested in anything else that you do! Being realistic, or managing time well, or being enthusiastic etc. will not help you here.

I personally found that Tesco was not for me- I didn't agree with the work style (it seems quite restrictive, and doesn't allow you to challenge people's ideas very much). However, I can't fault the assessors or Tesco in general. Although I was not offered a place on the scheme, I was offered a number of other graduate-level positions, and was given an extensive feedback report (literally about 10 pages long). Their support during and after the process was second to none, and I learnt a lot from my experiences.

I hope this helps someone!

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Tesco (Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

1 Step: Online test. Two simple programs to write in about 120 min
    2 Step: Very long interview in Tesco HQ which was about 3h
    - 1h - coding in pair programming (Two programs to write with TDD and good Quality in high pressure)
    - 1h - general software design
    - 1h - discussion with manager (all questions come from defined interview book)

Interview Questions

• Coding:
      1. Write program which will be calculated score in Poker Game.
      2. Modification on the string object (Logic case)
      Design:
      1. Design infrastructure/software which allows redeem two kinds of coupons (coupon with amount, coupon which can be used more than one time) and avoid use this same coupon in this same time from different location.
      2. How would you like to do deploy without having server down ?
      3. How synchronize databases ?
      Discussion with Manager
      1. General questions about your experience and what would you like to do in some cases ?   1 Answer

Partnership Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Tesco (Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

The interview process was good and smooth. Everyone I spoke to was very friendly and nice. The process was as below:

- HR call to check a few details (not really an interview)
    - First initial phone chat with the recruiting manager
    - Interview in their offices with the recruiting manager

Interview Questions

• - First initial phone chat with the recruiting manager to sense check that I understood the role and a few questions about the experience
      - Interview in their offices with the recruiting manager. The interviewer had a paper with a few technical questions and some questions about attitude / real examples and company values   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Tesco (Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)) in June 2016.

Interview

Talking about personal expectations, discussing details of previous jobs and why willing to join Tesco.
    Duration was 15 min long.
    The recruiter was calm and always available to answer my questions

Technology Interview

Anonymous Employee in Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Tesco (Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)) in March 2016.

Interview

The online tests and questions seemed longer than other applications I had made, but were about average in difficulty. I was then invited to have a phone interview - the interviewer was very friendly and didn't try and trip you up, he genuinely just wanted to get the most out of you. He wasn't techy though and couldn't understand some of what I was talking about - make sure to ask before you start talking about BubbleSort in Java.

Then there was an assessment day in Welwyn Garden City. The day was long but started with some very friendly recent grads to receive everybody - they were present throughout the day. There was an icebreaker with some of the managers and a director, in fact more managers had turned up than applicants. There were some more tests which lasted about 30 minutes and weren't too hard, and then a solo interview, followed by a technical assessment where they ask questions about your general knowledge of software engineering, followed by a large group exercise and a presentation. There was also a 3D CV part during the solo interview, whereby you bring along/make an object that says things about your experiences/personality.

My advice would be to not stress too much and know your tech - understand what's happening at the moment in the industry, know some basic software engineering and you'll be fine.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about making a smartphone application for customers?   1 Answer

Summer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tesco (Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)) in January 2016.

Interview

- Standard Interview process
    - Very supportive and friendly
    - Fairly easy to build rapport and interview felt much like a conversation.
    - Along the lines of why Tesco, why not competitors and describe a situation when you did ..........

Customer Service Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Tesco (Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)).

Interview

I started off relatively happy with the Tesco recruitment process, but as the process went on, I became more and more unimpressed.

I applied for the role online and within a few days had a call from the recruitment officer asking if I could do a telephone interview the following week. This was a general chat to outline the role in a bit more detail and to discuss my current role responsibilities. This went well and I was asked to attend a face to face interview the next week.

I attended this interview which was a competency based interview with all the standard questions. I was told at the end of this interview that because the gentleman who was to be my manager was on leave, and not back until Monday of the next week (this was a Thursday), he would probably want to meet with me too, but that they would be in contact to arrange that.

It was after this that things started to fall apart, having heard nothing for two weeks, I emailed the recruiter to discover he had left the business. I emailed his replacement and was phoned the next day, told "oh I was on leave and only got back on Monday" (my email was the Thursday and he called me on the Friday). He said 'we'd definitely like you to come in next week for another interview' and asked when I could make it. I said I would need a couple of days’ notice so that I could book leave and he suggested the following Thursday, which I agreed to and emailed him later that afternoon once I had confirmation of my annual leave booking. He said he would send me feedback from my prior interview and also details on the format of the upcoming interview - these were never received.

On the Monday, the new recruiter emailed me to ask if i could come in the next day (bear in mind I had already told him I needed notice in order to book time off). I said that i would not be able to get leave at such short notice. It was agreed to stick with the Thursday interview date and I duly attended. I had to email the recruiter on the day of the interview to query the full name of the gentleman I was to be meeting (so that I knew who to ask for at reception as he had only told me his first name) and which building the interview was to take place in, the site is vast with multiple office buildings in the vicinity.

This interview was basically a further, more in depth discussion of the role and me going through my current role again. I was advised at the end of the interview that he would let me know if I was successful in a couple of days.

My main problem with the whole process was that upon checking on their recruitment site the next day, on my profile/account page, it was showing that my application was unsuccessful, yet I hadn't received a call or even an email to advise me of this. While I understand that I may not have been the right fit for the role, I do find it particularly unprofessional to find out I was unsuccessful in this manner - after 3 interviews, I feel they should have phoned me and provided feedback before updating the website.

The first recruiter was really good but after he left the whole thing was not well managed and left a poor impression of the organisation. I still haven't been 'officially' told I didn't get the job (now over a week since the second interview), but at this point I am sick of having to continually chase for information that they should be providing to me as a matter of course.

Interview Questions

• tell us of a time you have had to deal with a difficult customer or colleague
      tell us about a time you have had to improve a team members performance   Answer Question