Tesco Interview Questions in Welwyn Garden City, England | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 17, 2017

2.7

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Tesco (Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

1 Step: Online test. Two simple programs to write in about 120 min
    2 Step: Very long interview in Tesco HQ which was about 3h
    - 1h - coding in pair programming (Two programs to write with TDD and good Quality in high pressure)
    - 1h - general software design
    - 1h - discussion with manager (all questions come from defined interview book)

Interview Questions

• Coding:
      1. Write program which will be calculated score in Poker Game.
      2. Modification on the string object (Logic case)
      Design:
      1. Design infrastructure/software which allows redeem two kinds of coupons (coupon with amount, coupon which can be used more than one time) and avoid use this same coupon in this same time from different location.
      2. How would you like to do deploy without having server down ?
      3. How synchronize databases ?
      Discussion with Manager
      1. General questions about your experience and what would you like to do in some cases ?
      1 Answer

Partnership Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Tesco (Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

The interview process was good and smooth. Everyone I spoke to was very friendly and nice. The process was as below:

- HR call to check a few details (not really an interview)
    - First initial phone chat with the recruiting manager
    - Interview in their offices with the recruiting manager

Interview Questions

• - First initial phone chat with the recruiting manager to sense check that I understood the role and a few questions about the experience
      - Interview in their offices with the recruiting manager. The interviewer had a paper with a few technical questions and some questions about attitude / real examples and company values
      Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Tesco (Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)) in June 2016.

Interview

Talking about personal expectations, discussing details of previous jobs and why willing to join Tesco.
    Duration was 15 min long.
    The recruiter was calm and always available to answer my questions

Technology Interview

Anonymous Employee in Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Tesco (Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)) in March 2016.

Interview

The online tests and questions seemed longer than other applications I had made, but were about average in difficulty. I was then invited to have a phone interview - the interviewer was very friendly and didn't try and trip you up, he genuinely just wanted to get the most out of you. He wasn't techy though and couldn't understand some of what I was talking about - make sure to ask before you start talking about BubbleSort in Java.

Then there was an assessment day in Welwyn Garden City. The day was long but started with some very friendly recent grads to receive everybody - they were present throughout the day. There was an icebreaker with some of the managers and a director, in fact more managers had turned up than applicants. There were some more tests which lasted about 30 minutes and weren't too hard, and then a solo interview, followed by a technical assessment where they ask questions about your general knowledge of software engineering, followed by a large group exercise and a presentation. There was also a 3D CV part during the solo interview, whereby you bring along/make an object that says things about your experiences/personality.

My advice would be to not stress too much and know your tech - understand what's happening at the moment in the industry, know some basic software engineering and you'll be fine.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about making a smartphone application for customers?   1 Answer

Summer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tesco (Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)) in January 2016.

Interview

- Standard Interview process
    - Very supportive and friendly
    - Fairly easy to build rapport and interview felt much like a conversation.
    - Along the lines of why Tesco, why not competitors and describe a situation when you did ..........

Customer Service Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Tesco (Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)).

Interview

I started off relatively happy with the Tesco recruitment process, but as the process went on, I became more and more unimpressed.

I applied for the role online and within a few days had a call from the recruitment officer asking if I could do a telephone interview the following week. This was a general chat to outline the role in a bit more detail and to discuss my current role responsibilities. This went well and I was asked to attend a face to face interview the next week.

I attended this interview which was a competency based interview with all the standard questions. I was told at the end of this interview that because the gentleman who was to be my manager was on leave, and not back until Monday of the next week (this was a Thursday), he would probably want to meet with me too, but that they would be in contact to arrange that.

It was after this that things started to fall apart, having heard nothing for two weeks, I emailed the recruiter to discover he had left the business. I emailed his replacement and was phoned the next day, told "oh I was on leave and only got back on Monday" (my email was the Thursday and he called me on the Friday). He said 'we'd definitely like you to come in next week for another interview' and asked when I could make it. I said I would need a couple of days’ notice so that I could book leave and he suggested the following Thursday, which I agreed to and emailed him later that afternoon once I had confirmation of my annual leave booking. He said he would send me feedback from my prior interview and also details on the format of the upcoming interview - these were never received.

On the Monday, the new recruiter emailed me to ask if i could come in the next day (bear in mind I had already told him I needed notice in order to book time off). I said that i would not be able to get leave at such short notice. It was agreed to stick with the Thursday interview date and I duly attended. I had to email the recruiter on the day of the interview to query the full name of the gentleman I was to be meeting (so that I knew who to ask for at reception as he had only told me his first name) and which building the interview was to take place in, the site is vast with multiple office buildings in the vicinity.

This interview was basically a further, more in depth discussion of the role and me going through my current role again. I was advised at the end of the interview that he would let me know if I was successful in a couple of days.

My main problem with the whole process was that upon checking on their recruitment site the next day, on my profile/account page, it was showing that my application was unsuccessful, yet I hadn't received a call or even an email to advise me of this. While I understand that I may not have been the right fit for the role, I do find it particularly unprofessional to find out I was unsuccessful in this manner - after 3 interviews, I feel they should have phoned me and provided feedback before updating the website.

The first recruiter was really good but after he left the whole thing was not well managed and left a poor impression of the organisation. I still haven't been 'officially' told I didn't get the job (now over a week since the second interview), but at this point I am sick of having to continually chase for information that they should be providing to me as a matter of course.

Interview Questions

• tell us of a time you have had to deal with a difficult customer or colleague
      tell us about a time you have had to improve a team members performance
      Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Tesco (Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)) in October 2015.

Interview

Applied online via Tesco career website. 2 days later was contacted via email first with the telephone interview a day later. Had a face-to-face interview a week after I applied online. The interview lasted an hour. Got a phone call the following day with the job offer.

Interview Questions

• Competency based questions relevant to the post. IS knowledge. Previous experience.   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Employee in Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Tesco (Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)) in March 2015.

Interview

1-2-1 interview , assessment centre ,at times compentanct based Qs on company values . however can be varied depends which function you apply for , not really consistent in HO. There is a blueprint approach for Grads .

Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Tesco (Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)).

Interview

Started as Temp on part time hours then asked to do more hours and was offered a permanent position after I was offered a position at another company. The company make the most of Temp staff who prove themselves talented.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

My hourly rate was increased and they offered me a favourable salary for the permanent position.

Graduate Trainee Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Tesco (Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)) in February 2014.

Interview

The first stage was to apply online with a CV submission and question completion. The next stage if successful was a telephone interview with general and competency based questions. The graduate recruitment process also includes an assessment centre if you pass the previous stages.