Tesla Controls Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Tesla Controls Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Tesla

2.7

Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Tesla (Fremont, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

Applied through an employee referral. I had already worked at Tesla as a contractor so it was easy to get their attention. They set me up for a couple of on-the-phone interviews, and I had lunch with the team I am working with. After a couple weeks they asked me to come for a personal set of interviews (8 total). Easy process, good conversations with people. Very enjoyable.

Interview Questions

• How would you detect if a fuse is completely ok using a voltimeter?   3 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Tesla

Controls Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Tesla.

Interview

I was contacted via LinkedIn by a 3rd party (they did not work for Tesla) recruiter who inquired if I would be interested in a controls engineer position with Tesla Motors. I replied within the same day with my resume as requested and scheduled a brief phone interview the next day. The phone interview was somewhat challenging as I had to escape from a hectic work schedule momentarily with little time to review. The questions were mainly regarding my previous experience. One of the questions involved describing a challenging problem at a previous employer and covering all aspects of how I solved it. I was asked what my current salary was and was told that they needed this information so they could determine if "they could afford me". Recruiter was professional in all communications. After the phone interview, I was given a name of a recruiter who would potentially call me within a few days. I also promptly received a follow up email with a job description and links for Tesla including YouTube videos for what I could assume was for the purpose of company branding. Some of the videos had been removed due to TOS (I believe one was a Discovery Channel Giga Factory video). Otherwise, I immersed myself in Tesla for the following days. 12 days later in the morning I got a somewhat unexpected call from Tesla's recruiter, as no specific time was set. The recruiter's questions were somewhat basic: why would you want to work for Tesla, what do you know about Tesla , etc. (I made the mistake of calling the "Store" a dealership..oops). Recruiter was friendly and upbeat and discussed a further interview with a supervisor in the controls engineering department. I promptly received a follow up email with the same job description and Tesla branding links. We scheduled the second phone interview with the supervisor for later that day. I received a call at the scheduled time and asked questions / discussed the position and answered several questions regarding my previous experience for 15-20 minutes. The interviewer was professional and pleasant to speak with. The call ended with the interviewer stating the he would talk to another engineering supervisor to see "if they had any open positions for me". I looked forward to hearing back but heard nothing for 10-12 days after which I followed up with Tesla's recruiter via email but I received no response. One week after that, I followed up with the 3rd party recruiter who promptly replied that they would follow up with Tesla. I received no response after that. Reading other interview reviews, I assume this is the end of the interview process.

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult or unexpected questions, everything was pretty straight forward.   Answer Question

Controls Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Tesla.

Interview

I was referred by someone that works in Tesla. I had 2 phone interviews before going on site for a full day interview where I talked with the whole team. The interview process was long. The HR was so slow and had time management issues. The interview also involved preparing a presentation about a project I did.

Interview Questions

• Different personal, behavioural, and some basic technical questions   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Tesla (Minneapolis, MN) in January 2018.

Interview

A full day of interviews, a presentation, and an hour-long skills exam. Be ready to hit the ground running. You're given a good opportunity to present yourself and meet many of your peers.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reno, NV

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Tesla (Reno, NV) in July 2018.

Interview

Interview process was slow but easy. Unlike most engineering interviews, the interview panel seemed very interested to know more about you as an interviewee and how well you would fit into the position at Tesla, or other available positions. Would definitely put this as my #1 best interview experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Tesla (Boston, MA).

Interview

My interview process was apparently a little different due to me being on the other side of the country. I had two phone interviews with recruiters from the company, then i was invited to a local interview event. I had never felt as good as i had interviewing with the people i met there, they were all intelligent easy to get along with, and driven. The feedback i had gotten was that they needed people with my skill set, and i really got along with everyone well. I was told usually interviewees go through many more people, though, I only had to interview with 4 different people on the first round. When i got to the later rounds, they indicated they wanted me to take a job as a mechanical engineer. Which is odd, as im an electrical engineer. It seems to me that that trying to shift people from their disciplines does not serve them, or the prospective employee. It smells of desperation to get people in the door, which seems to fall in line with what ive read in reviews of the job. The last correspondence i had with them, they made condescending remarks about me contacting them "when im serious about a job". Given they wanted me to change disciplines, this seems rather pretentious, and raises major flags with me, as such i decided to not contact them back. I get feeling the company is demanding, i was told you work 7 days a week, and the pay is low for the valley. the culture appears to be friendly, and casual, but demanding. I do, as i indicated, have serious concerns about the longevity issues, given the companies propensity to bait and switch, and overworking, and underpaying employees.

Interview Questions

• They had a test that, if i had been recently out of school i probably would have done better. Though being in the field for several years, they are not things that are actually used in the real world, or if they are, they are used rarely, and you look them up when you encounter them.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tesla (Fremont, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Don't go to this company if you want to accelerate your future. Worst Recruiting process ever!! Rejected the offer based on company culture. They know how to exploit Engineers at low wages. They are so low in cash that they cannot afford candidate's interview expense, only got reimbursed for half of the expense and recruiter does not bother to respond. Stay away!!

Controls Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Tesla.

Interview

I was first contacted by recruiter who found my resume in the internal database that I had used to apply for different Tesla position in the past. The process went from a phone interview with the technical recruiter, followed by a phone interview with hiring manager, followed by a phone interview with engineer. The ones with the manager and the engineer were filled 95% with technical questions. Some were think-outside-of-box questions. What was interesting was that they kept saying they were looking for a PLC guy who could program PLC but about 98% of those technical questions were all hardware-related and had nothing to do with PLC. The conversation with the engineer ended with him commenting "I think you are a decent PLC guy" but he never really asked any PLC-related questions during the interview. How could he still possibly know that I was a good PLC guy? I feel I wasn't interviewed by the correct people.

My general impression is that they have a lot of candidates that they invite to phone interviews and they put a lot of time and efforts into screening the candidates through a series of phone interviews. Even if you have passed the first few phone interviews, do not hold your hopes up too high until you actually get the offer. After all, the phone interview itself was quite strange (no PLC-related questions for a PLC position).

Interview Questions

• You have a power supply that feeds power to 3 branches. Where would you put your circuit protection? Any disadvantage if you put the protection at all wires (feeder + 3 branches).   Answer Question