Tesla Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Tesla Engineering Interview Questions

Updated Sep 25, 2018

26 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Tesla (San Francisco, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

Applied through an internal reference who forwarded my resume to the hiring manager. Was contacted within a week by the internal recruiter. Recruiter asked basic resume questions and reviewed prior work experience. Eventually Scheduled a phone interview with a manager after a few more follow ups. You are expected to follow up quickly and show interest in this fast paced environment, otherwise they will forget about you and move on to the next potential candidate.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Tesla?   Answer Question
  • Tell me about some of the projects you have worked on and problems you helped solve.   1 Answer
  • We often work long days, evenings, and weekends to meet deadlines. Is this something you are willing to do?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Tesla

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Tesla in March 2015.

Interview

Phone interview. They asked me about my experience and how do I see my role in the company. They asked me to send them my transcripts. Recruiter never responded to my e-mails.

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Tesla.

Interview

So far the worst interview process I had. 13 interviews, one two hour exam and a group presentation. There is no need to be a long process for Tesla itself and for the person that is getting interviewed. Time, efford and money are lost just because there is no right interview process.

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Tesla (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2011.

Interview

Process was very long a dragged on. There was a bit of scrambling at the last minute to get people to join the interview process. This is a true testament to managers not having the opportunity to grow there team because of the demand.

Interview Questions

• How flexible are you, and are you willing to adapt to constant change.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Tesla (Palo Alto, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

I went through three interviews. The process was very easy and they got back to me very quickly. The entire process was over within a month. Unlike other companies, Tesla actually gives applicants feedback after an interview.

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Tesla.

Interview

Interviewed by HR personnel and then engineering manager
    exchanged e_mail with the HR person for a few times and set up a phone interview with engineering manager.
    The interview was quite detailed regarding your background, your goal, and some technical questions. It was not easy to do it on the phone.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Tesla (Palo Alto, CA) in August 2011.

Interview

In one word: Disrespectful. I had a phone interview with the hiring manager. He said part way through that he had heard enough and that he wanted to bring me on site. The recruiter took a long time to get back to me. I eventually scheduled an on-site interview, gave multiple days that worked for me and Tesla chose the one furthest away. I prepared a presentation that I was asked to give, filled out the application, and booked a hotel, flight, and rental car. I let my current employer know that I was going to be out that day. Two days before the interview I get an email saying they wanted to postpone the interview. I found out a few days later that they had offered the position to someone and didn't give me an opportunity to interview. Be wary, I have interviewed at many different companies and have almost always gotten an offer. This was by far the most disrespectful company I have ever dealt with during the hiring process .

Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Tesla (Fremont, CA).

Interview

If you want to work at Tesla; you need to be persistent. I have applied numerous times since graduating college in 2010. I interviewed 2 times prior to the 3rd, which finally resulted in an offer. Knowing someone who works there will help you get noticed by the hiring managers. Everyone is extremely busy, so don't take it personally if they say they are going to call you the next day and it ends up being the next week. It's nothing personal. People are just very very busy.

The interview/ hiring process:
    1.) Spoke with the recruiter and set up a phone interview with a senior Engineer.
    2.) Interview with senior Engineer. If you know what you are talking about then this should
         be enjoyable. They are getting a first glance at your personality and technical prowess, so be
         honest and don't try to embellish.
    3.) Spoke with recruiter and set up on-site interview a couple hours after the phone interview.
         The time between the phone interview and the on-site was less than a week.
    4.) On-site interview: This was a really cool experience for me. I interviewed with 2 Engineers and
         2 Managers. Again, it's not hard if you know what you are talking about. If you don't know the
         answer toa question; say so. Honestly is a good trait. Also, I'm really into EV, so I think I asked
         about 80% of the questions, which put my mind at ease and gave them a good idea of where I was
         at technically. Be totally transparent.
    5.) Contingent offer about a week later.
    6.) Essays for Elon: You need to write up 3 projects that you have done for Elon to review. Be honest
         and do not embellish. In retrospect this was a lot of fun.
    7.) Background check.
    8.) On boarding process.

The whole process was a great experience.

Interview Questions

• It wasn't the typical uncomfortable interview across a table. It was more of a conversation. Tesla isn't your typical vertical organization, and the mindset is similar to Google, so they want people who have the tech skills (tons of people), but personality plays a huge role.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There are a lot of people who want to work at Tesla, so there will not be much room for negotiation. If you prove yourself and are a strong contributor; you will be rewarded. Tesla is a meritocracy. You reap what you sow.

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Tesla (Palo Alto, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

I initially was contacted by a recruiter after talking with a former colleague. I had an initial interview with the recruiter; one week later I had an interview with the hiring manager; I finished my phone screens with an engineer working on a related system the proceeding week. Promptly following my last phone screen I was contacted and had an on-site interview scheduled for the next week.

The on-site interview consists of meet-and-greets with your HR contacts, a technical presentation (this is where you can clearly distinguish yourself from others!), then 5 one-on-one interviews. I LOVED THIS...from my former automotive OEM experience, I was challenged to think in new ways and presented with present problems. There is no way to prepare for this, and you will show if you know what you are talking about because...IT IS HARD. I still remember answering a question and then asking, "did that answer it?", to have the interviewer respond, "that's perfect." Think like an engineer...do not back yourself into the STAR method...that has no place in an engineering workplace!

...this is where the interview process slowed to what seemed like a halt...

I talked with HR and it was going to be nearly 3 weeks to find out what the next steps would be (essentially, they cannot just interview one person). So, after interviewing multiple candidates they decided to continue; you must answer a series of questions that will be reviewed by the CEO.

Once the CEO reviews the question, you get the final approval/non-approval. This process takes nearly 2 weeks.

------------------------------------------
    The people are VERY busy, and this job requires PASSION. You do not go to Tesla with money at the forefront of your mind, but if you left another automotive OEM, you go to Tesla for the opportunity to work on something where you know you will impact people's lives. If you go to another automotive OEM, you will likely have a cake-walk...my perception from talking with people during the interview is that it is FAST-PACED, fun, but challenging.

Negotiation

The benefits are phenomenal...and you should set a realistic salary expectation. Please, for your sake, check out the cost of living and make a DETAILED budget because you can then determine your required income.

Engineer Interview

Interview

Applied via website, and after about a week, received email from HR scheduling phone interview. Phone interview (Dec. 11) took about 30 min, I was asked mostly about previous work experiences. Still waiting for the response.