Tesla Engineering Interview Questions

Updated Mar 12, 2018

To filter interviews, or .
Found 10 of over 2,053.0 interviews

Campus Recruiting11%
2.8
HardAverageEasy

Tesla

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Tesla

Interview

All Phone Interviews. First with HR, then with engineers/managers. Most of the questions reflected on the resume or would demonstrate the thought process of the interviewee. I would suggest to know your resume and to have an idea of the group/position you are getting interviewed for.

Interview Questions
  • Why Tesla?
    Answer Question
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Tesla

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Tesla in Mar 2017

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter without ever having expressed interest in working for Tesla. Communications were pushy and rushed, asking for interviews with less than 24 hour notice, then when replying within 150 minutes, schedules had already changed and was forced to schedule a new time, again with less than 24 hour notice. Within 3 hours of the interview, received another request to reschedule. When conducting predatory interviewing, it is best not to show signs of the chaos and lack of ability to plan even 24 hours in advance.

Interview Questions
3 people found this interview helpful

What people are saying about Tesla

Join the conversation on

Personal Investment Chatter

1y

works at

McKinsey & Company

Many of us gained net worth in 2020 by having a stable job and investing in the stock market (some gained a lot by investing in Tesla, ARK etc.). In the meantime, millions of people lost jobs and could not afford rent (and these same people are unlikely to have benefited from the stock market). How do you feel about it? I’m not expecting any “correct answer” as I don’t think there is one correct answer. Just how people actually feel about it

1,217

149 Comments

Join the conversation on

Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Tesla (Fremont, CA) in Jun 2015

Interview

Was referred to this position by a friend who has a friend working there. Recruiter reached out to me to give me more information about the position and set up an interview for me and the manager of the team I will be working with. Estimated wait time: ~4 days for first actual "interview" ~2 days to notify if I got the job ~1 week to send offer letter and 3 days to accept offer It was pretty fast for me because I got the job in June nearing the end of the school year. The manager that interviewed me quite like me so he told me he'd reflect the success of our phone conversation to the recruiter. The recruiter then sent me offer letter and HR followed up with me until employment.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about yourself. What interests you about Tesla? What do you think you can offer this company?
6 people found this interview helpful

Tesla

Application

I applied through an employee referral I interviewed at Tesla

Interview

The first interview was a 45 minute chat with HR, followed a week later by a follow up call with a department manager which lasted for about an hour. That was 6 weeks ago and I am still awaiting news on the next steps, although as I would be relocating to the US so am guessing that they are looking into visas etc before taking any further action.

Interview Questions
  • Why do you want to work for Tesla?
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Tesla

Application

I applied through an employee referral I interviewed at Tesla

Interview

I was contacted by a university hiring representative for a battery chemistry internship, but she failed to contact me during the scheduled time for our phone. Two days later, she emailed me and we were able to reschedule for a later date, and I went through to a second phone interview with a member of the battery team. I was prepared to discuss the technical details of prior internships and chemistry in general. However, the interviewer had a very thick accent and we had a lot of difficulty communicating.

Interview Questions
  • General background questions in first interview followed by advanced technical information in the second interview.
2 people found this interview helpful

Tesla

Application

I interviewed at Tesla

Interview

Found out the job post at Linkedin and sent the resume and cover letter to recruiter. 3 phone calls interview (HR - review the resume, Why Tesla, Engineering - examples and projects on previous work and some trick questions, Manager - mainly why Tesla again, how to adapt into dynamic environment...) and then brought on-site interview.

Interview Questions
  • Technical questions are easy - mainly what I did before. Trick question is culture related ...... need deep understanding how Tesla operates ans what is difference btw Tesla and industry behavior.
4 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Tesla (Toronto, ON) in Apr 2014

Interview

It was over the phone (last part of the process), and the interviewer was good, but I had a feeling he was busy, and he tried to give enough time for me to explain and detail all the answers that I gave.

Interview Questions
  • Tell about my work at the company I am working.
2 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in MISSING VALUE

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Tesla in Nov 2010

Interview

Tesla recruiter phone interviewed first, then phone interviewed again with a senior engineer, next one-hour timed test, then on site interview with one-hour presentation, last an essay on why Tesla should hire you. A lot of detailed technical questions during on-site interview, some brain teaser questions as well. You could feel the passion of Tesla engineers. All in all, the interview was a worthy experience.

Interview Questions
  • give examples about what makes you an extraordinarycandidate for Tesla
  • prepare for some brain teaser questions
4 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in MISSING VALUE

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Tesla in May 2010

Interview

Very stringent screening process 2 phone interviews as a part of prescreening process 1 day of presentation and 1:1 highly technical sessions

Interview Questions
  • explain in detail the steps you would take to address this particular design problem we are having
3 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in MISSING VALUE

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Tesla in Mar 2009

Interview

After submitting my resume online, I was first contacted via telephone where I had to answer technical questions. A supervisor then called me and conducted another interview, mostly asking about my interests and background. I was then scheduled for an onsite interview which consisted of 5-6 1:1 interviews. Mostly technical questions were asked based on the contents of my resume. The people seemed to be very proud to be working there and were genuinely excited about their product. You get some show-offs, of course, but most of them were pretty laid-back.

Interview Questions
6 people found this interview helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 10 Interviews