Tesla Firmware Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Tesla Firmware Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Tesla

Firmware Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Tesla in November 2015.

Interview

I went to a special Musk company job fair/applied online. I was then contacted online, and tried to reply as soon as possible. I delayed the initial phone conversation by a day after the initial suggestion, and then the recruiter delayed the phone conversation by a week by delaying it one day at a time, each day telling me there was some meeting keeping her from doing it. After getting on the phone with her, she told me that she would send me a take home test to work on that Friday. I received no such email. The next week, I sent another email asking what happened. After another day of no response, I sent another email reminding her about my first email. She responds, and I get the test on Friday. I took the test the next day, and now have not heard back for two and a half weeks. I didn't even get a confirmation that my test had been received. I've sent two emails at this point asking for some kind of status update, and have received no response.

Maybe the recruiter is new, but honestly this treatment is ridiculous. It is completely unprofessional, and I am being made to feel like this company does not care for me at all, even as a person. Just, absolute garbage process so far. I have never experienced anything like this from a company before.

Interview Questions

• find the error in a a simple squaring function whose argument is a volatile pointer to an integer.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Tesla

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Tesla (Palo Alto, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me, to talk about the potential fit over the phone, then went through a coding questionnaire. After that, 2 more phone interviews with short coding exercises. So far so good, then I was asked to come onsite for an interview, 15-20 minute presentation followed by 6 one on one interviews with senior engineers. Electronics, coding, and general firmware design questions. One became aggressive and condescending about one of my projects, and I was as professional about it as I could be. He was arrogant and close minded with a horrible attitude, even though I really knew what I was talking about. The other 5 engineers were very enjoyable and the overall experience was good, however they said they would move forward with another candidate.

Interview Questions

• Coding exercises, general electronic questions, general firmware questions   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Tesla (Los Angeles, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

Got call from HR then there was a short coding test. HR asked me about my experience and resume. Behavioral questions. Then she told me about coding test. After 2 days she sent me test question in email and I was supposed to give answers in text format. Basic questions related to C programming. (#define, State machine, pointers and memory).

Firmware Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Tesla in February 2015.

Interview

The HR contacted me for 30 mins to go through my background, then scheduled a coding test the next day. I finished that 7 questions about C which I have fully prepared and know that exact answers, then sent it back. No relay until the SECOND time I followed up, saying feedback is positive but decide to move to another candidate.

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Tesla (Palo Alto, CA) in May 2012.

Interview

The interview process was pretty straight forward. There was one phone screens with H and three technical phone interviews with hiring manager, technical mentor, and potential coworkers. They also brought me in for one in-person interview which more of a personality-fit interview. After the phone interview occurred, the HR contact scheduled three back-to-back technical phone interviews. After they were happy with that, they brought me in for a personality-fit interview which means they wanted to see if my personality would fit with the team. They didn't tell me it was a personality interview, i thought it was another technical interview until I finished the in-person interview to realize they wanted to just get to know me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Tesla (Palo Alto, CA) in April 2012.

Interview

Initially I had a phone interview with the hiring manager and then I was called for an onsite interview. I started with giving a presentation to a group of managers and firmware engineers. Then I had a 1:1 interview with all the 6 members present in that group, followed by the VP of the company. The questions were related to my projects and some basic C ones as well. Then I was asked to take C based a pen and parer test. They asked me a few brainteasers also. Overall I had a good experience.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions were related to my projects and some basic C questions.   Answer Question

Firmware Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Tesla in October 2013.

Interview

HR department employees are quite incompetent and with zero technical knowledge. They were unable to provide an accurate position description or desired skills. "Somewhere in the software team" is the only thing I got. After a pretty pointless phone interview with some junior employee in HR they scheduled a C exercise with me. They would sent out a series of questions about C programming and I had 30 minutes to return the answers in a text document (no need for actual source files). The test is ok-easy and the only problem is to finish it in 30 minutes. It's 7 short questions about writing to a specific memory address, pointers, preprocessor directives, setting bits... After that was accepted they scheduled a phone interview with someone from the firmware engineering department. The interview was basically going over my resume asking details. Interview was ~ 30 minutes. I was then contacted by HR, who told me that I'm not fir for that position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Tesla (Palo Alto, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

Taking advantage of my free month of LinkedIn premium, I sent an InMail to a recruiter working at Tesla, who returned my contact a day or two later. He enthusiastically outlined all the different firmware groups and what they do, and the typical hiring process.

We kicked it off by setting a time/date for an e-mail firmware exercise. They were very basic questions, and I had to send a reply with my solutions attached within 30 minutes. My resume and my firmware answers caught the interest of one manager, and so the recruiter set up a phone interview with him a few days down the road.

The manager called at the appointed time and we discussed the work I did in my current company. The interview took about 45 minutes, followed by a live coding session over a collaborative browser-based text pad web-app. As luck would have it, we experienced technical issues a few minutes in, and I was allowed do send in a text file much like the firmware exercise! Being the honest guy that I am, I quickly completed it and sent it to the recruiter.

The impression from the first interview was quite positive, granting me a second one set a few days later, this time with a senior engineer. We discussed in greater detail about my current employment, as well as projects I had done in school. The recruiter followed up the next day with good news of an almost-all-expenses paid trip to Palo Alto.

The on-site interview consisted of a presentation I had to deliver, followed by a series of one-on-ones with 5 engineers/managers, one of which was a chat over lunch. I gave myself a week to prepare the presentation and to brush up on my software engineering skillset. I don't present a lot, so when I queried the audience about time, I was over the allotted duration by 2 minutes, and I wasn't even done yet! Let me just say.. it's a good sign if they allow you to continue and finish. Every one-on-one session had a whiteboard coding component, ranging from writing functions to finding errors in a snippet of code. Difficulty was relatively easy, there were a couple that gave me trouble, though applicants who haven't done more embedded-related type or work will have a harder time.

I left the office feeling pretty good, though I spent the next week dwelling on things said and left unsaid. Though through the whole process the recruiter was very polite and professional, definitely unlike the entries I read here from 1 or 2 years ago. He followed up a week after the on-site interview as promised.

Firmware Engineer Interview

Interview

Got a call from one of the HR team saying that they are interested in my profile and spoke about my previous work experience and projects that i did. was sent some professional work experience and embedded c questions. still waiting for the interview updates. i shall post it as soon as it moves ahead.

Interview Questions

• embedded c programming questions on volatile, loading a value in a specific address location etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Tesla (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

Interview process is very tedious, Stressful and not fun. 1) Recruiter Interview 2) online coding exam 3) Total 3 Telephonic Interviews. 4) onsite interview -7 people -1-1+ 1 presentation -30 min

Interview Questions

• Behavioral and Basic Technical Questions. Process is so lengthy and stressful. They do not have good process defined. They can ask random questions. It does not matter how much you read and give best in the interview, they reject the candidate all the time. Recruiters are very slow in reply. Tesla should respect the candidate. Overall negative experience on selection process.   Answer Question