Tesla Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 20, 2017

2.9

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tesla (Fremont, CA).

Interview

It was quite a long but fairly straight forward process. All in all a mix of phone/video/in person interviews. It was a mix of recruiters/employees interviewing and meeting. Interviewers were approachable and friendly--their excitement about their jobs was really nice to hear.

Mechanical Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Tesla (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

Length interview process (outlined below). However, I like this, that means everyone is properly vetted, and can be held to the same standard. Nobody can just weasel their way in.
    1. Call with recruiter
    2. Call with manager
    3. written skills test
    4. On site interview with presentation
    5. Six one-on-one interview with various potential coworkers

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Tesla   1 Answer

Negotiation

Back and forth with recruiter, not too much negotiation really. An offer was given, I could accept or deny.

Service Technician Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Tesla in June 2017.

Interview

Applied online through Indeed, contacted by email by a
    Recruiter to set up phone interview. Had phone interview. Was selected for a in person interview with a panel of interviewers. Interview went well but was a little put off by one of the interviewers who appeared he did not even want to be there. He was slouched over in his chair and had his face resting on his hand like a 2 year old. There were no technical questions and all interpersonal relationship.

Equipment Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reno, NV

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Tesla (Reno, NV) in June 2017.

Interview

Recruiter emailed me with the job description. Phone call chat after 2 days. During the conversation he setup a interview with Senior Equipment Engineer, after 4 days. Interview was basic questions and describe your resume and few technical questions related to it. Then the recruiter called back the next day to update me on the interview. He asked me to come over to Reno, NV for an on-site interview, after 4 days. Before coning to the interview I had to prepare a presentation on one of my projects, that had an big impact.
    The trip is completely paid for by Tesla i.e flight, hotel, car and food.
    The on-site interview is 7-8hrs long, including 20 min presentation and 6 one-one interview with other equipment engineers and managers. The next day recruiter got back to me and said they are not going forward with my candidacy.

Word of advice:
    Don't get your hopes too high, even if you get to on-site interview. They look for "Passion for the job" and "Potential to make an impact, based on EXPERIENCE"

Process Technician Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tesla.

Interview

Applied for 3 different positions at Tesla Gigafactory online. After close to 4 weeks was contacted by recruiter requesting a phone interview in a few days. Did phone interview; they just asked about my background. Asked me to take an online assessment which had electrical and mechanical questions. After a few days i was contacted again to prepare for a video conference interview. Did video interview with 3 different people; engineering, supervisor and manager. After interviews recruitment/HR told me they would get back to me within 2 weeks. Got a call after 2 weeks and 1 day and they made an offer.

Interview Questions

• why do you want to work for Tesla?   Answer Question
    • how would you troubleshoot and repair a hypothetical malfunctioning machine. Describe a situation from your experience?   Answer Question
    • What do you know about PLC's. How would you program one?   Answer Question

Operations Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tesla.

Interview

The recruiter was not very professional, got calls very randomly. Neither the recruiter nor the hiring manager responded to emails after the second round, got no feedback or even the result.

Interview Questions

• Tableau question, asked to write a SQL query during a WebEx session.   Answer Question

Production Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Tesla (Fremont, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

Must first take and pass the personality assessment test, immediately after if you pass than you're selected to do an interview. They ask the normal basic questions. "Name a time when" the killer question is "what do you know about Tesla" DO YOUR HOMEWORK. "Do you know about our CEO" DO YOUR HOMEWORK. If you pass that you go straight to background information to submit a background check. I heard from them 3 days later to set up a drug screening test, STUDY FOR IT (kidding) 2 weeks later I found out that I passed both the background and drug test, you then have a physical exam. Pretty much normal exercise to make sure you can actually do the job. 2 weeks later I was told I had passed and would be contacted. My first interview was June 2nd, my first day will be here on July 10th. Don't wait on it, have another gig

Various Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Tesla.

Interview

I was e-mailed by a recruiter through LinkedIn to submit a resume. After doing so, I was contacted by another recruiter through e-mail to set up a screening call. He was 20 minutes late to the call. I told him what I was interested in doing at Tesla based on their online postings, and he said he would forward my resume on to those teams. A couple days later, I was called by the original recruiter saying I had an interview with an engineering manager. It turns out she put me in touch with the manager of a division that does not align with my resume/skill set at all. He was gracious enough about it and said he would work with the recruiter to get me in touch with the right manager. A few days later, I was called by a third recruiter to schedule an interview with a manager of one of the areas I was interested in. That manager ended up never calling or following up.

Overall, it was a terrible experience. Tesla is a great company doing amazing things. However, they need to rethink their recruitment strategy, as I've heard I'm not the only person this has happened to.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tesla.

Interview

I applied online and received a call from HR no less than 30 minutes later asking me to confirm my details and to schedule a phone interview with an engineer later that day. I was asked technical questions but they were not too difficult. I received an offer the very next day. Overall a positive experience!

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Tesla in May 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter, while not looking for a job, I am more or less happy with my current position. I was always fascinated with Tesla and work of Elon Musk, so I thought I'd explore it. To note I have over 20 years experience in the industry, and consider myself very senior level, programming in C++ and system level. I work in self-driving car industry, specializing in camera and imaging. I follow and know the work of Tesla at advanced level.
    I haven't done a job interview for about 3 years.
    After a couple of phone calls with the recruiter I was setup with a phone interview, I thought it'd be a less formal phone screen, however a day before I was sent a codepad link for a coding challenge I was supposed to complete during the interview slot (45 minutes ). In my years I've done a lot of those coding challenges from both sides of the interview process, so I was not very worried.
    Additionally the recruiter sent me a link with another challenge, which was supposed to be much harder, it was said once I open the link I'd be timed for 5 hours and will need to submit responses within this limit. I didn't open the second link since I didn't have time at that moment before the phone screen happened.
    During the phone interview, I was asked to describe myself which I did for about 20-25 minutes, talking mostly myself, the other guy didn't stop me or asked a lot of question. I thought it was fine. Then we proceeded to the coding challenge. He copied the sample code into the codepad so I can see it now. The code was a piece in C++ that created a tree like structure, and the task was to implement a print function to output a value from each node of the tree in a certain way. I took about 3-5 minutes to examine the code so I could understand it completely (it was about 2.5 pages I think). Then I started to write the code. My original thought was that I could employ a single node pointer to walk through the tree, however I quickly realized this would not work. I was commenting out loud my thought process. I discuss with the interviewed that we'd need to copy part or the whole tree structure in different order to succeed, he said it may be fine, but we'd want to save memory, so full tree copy would not be advisable. I took about 3-5 minutes pause and tried to think about how to approach the solution, after that I quickly drafted a code that used 2 vectors to traverse through the tree "current" and "next" level. We continued to talk and I said it should probably work, the guy said let's run it. This first run produced a endless loop, and I quickly realized a mistake, where I forgot to clear one of the vectors. I quickly corrected the problem, and second run produced correct output. Overall I think I took about 15 minutes to solve the challenge, at which point we were left with about 5 minutes of time and the guy asked me if I had any questions for him. I asked to describe the company, and culture, etc, which he did. Then he said he had to go and we ended the call. This was on Friday.
    Then I wanted to complete the other 5 question challenge over the weekend, however due to family matters I couldn't find this window. Finally I tried to do it during the next week, but at this point I discovered that link was no longer valid. I wrote to the recruiter about it and received no answer during the next few days.
    At this point I have to conclude I failed the coding part, so they just terminated the process. Thinking about it I'd have to assume the interviewer was looking for me to implement the solution in a more classic way using a standard queue instead of 2 vectors. Yes, it would be a more standard computer science approach, but it didn't particularly come to me at the time, and thinking about my code I find it was as efficient as the classic approach. I conclude here that the guy didn't allow that flexibility in the interview process - he wanted to see a solution exactly as he was expecting, without any analysis. I think it is a bad approach, we should have looked at the code and discussed, and he could point out it to me. But he just said it is fine and we finished.
    I am not happy that there was no feedback from Tesla about it. I don't like when companies do it this way, I think they should respect the time candidates spend and drop a quick note.