Tesla Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1,384 Interview Reviews

2.9

Software Engineer, Backend Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Tesla (Fremont, CA) in November 2019.

Interview

Background: 4 Years of experience as Software Engineer

First round: Recruiter call for 30 minutes discussing my background and my expectations from next role.

Codility: Was given online assessment containing 2 programming questions and 1 sql question.

After test, recruiter contacted me in couple days asking me that they want to move forward. But then I was handed off to another recruiter who works for team in Seattle. I was asked to come onsite in Fremont with some video interviews with folks in Seattle.

Onsite consisted of 5 rounds:

Chat with PM -> team fit style questions
    Lunch interview
    tech round -> data modelling question
    chat with manager -> team fit style questions
    tech round -> interviewer was in no mood for interview. He was really tired. Asked me some simple string manipulation question for the sake of it. Finished interview 15 minutes before scheduled. At that point itself I knew I am not getting this job.
    I cannot share any specific questions due to NDA. But overall, it was not a very difficult interview.

Interview Questions

• Codility assessment:

Minimum number of characters to delete from a string so that each character appears unique number of times. Note: You can delete all occurances of characters.
      eg: "aaaabbbb" -> 1 "a" or 1"b" would make "a" and "b" appear unique number of times.

Given number in binary form, if its even -> you can divide it by 2; if its odd -> you can substract 1 from it. You can repeat above steps as many times as you want to reach 0. How many steps it took to reach zero?

SQL question to select records from two tables using joins etc.   Answer Question

Product Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tesla.

Interview

The interviewer called me on the phone, the surrounding of her was very loud and I could barely hear myself and her. In the middle of the phone call, I heard people laughing and talking , a lot of conversation got missed due to the office noise. When I voiced my concern to her, " sorry, I couldn't hear you, could you repeat that?" , She said " it is an open office", did not repeat herself . She changed her question from " what is your strength" to " what is your weakness" after I asked her to repeat the question because I could not hear. I couldn't engage the conversation, and she didn't want to engage.

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Tesla in November 2019.

Interview

Went through a total of three phone interviews. Spoke to a recruiter, then the hiring manager, and then someone else apart of the team I would be working with. Asked a series of typical interview questions i.e. Why do you want the job?, What are your strengths? and also some scenario based questions.

Interview Questions

• How do you prioritize your tasks?
      Tell me about a time you solved a problem.
      How well do you work in a fast paced environment?   Answer Question

Product Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tesla (Fremont, CA) in November 2019.

Interview

I applied online. Then I got the interview email quickly. The person interviewed me was a designer who asked a lot of questions. firstly, I need to introduce myself. Then a bunch of questions coming out.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Tesla (Fremont, CA) in November 2019.

Interview

Challenging, phone screens + onsite + follow up screens, relevant technical questions to the role considered including manufacturing and design related questions - Challenging, phone screens + onsite + follow up screens, relevant technical questions to the role considered including manufacturing and design related questions

Interview Questions

• Stress strain response curves
      --   1 Answer

Interview

Attend an on-campus event with Tesla and was contacted that night to interview next day. I heard back about two months later with an offer. I did a coop at Gigafactory

Sr. Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Tesla (Fremont, CA).

Interview

Recruiter reached out to me. Coding test and on-site with multiple rounds including design, coding, sql, design patterns. Did not heard from them after the interview. Tried reaching to recruiter but he was really busy. One of the interviewer was kind of rude and difficult to communicate.

Interview Questions

• String manipulation, design patterns was discussed in almost all the rounds.   Answer Question

Production Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sparks, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Tesla (Sparks, NV).

Interview

6 30-minute rounds with 6 people and a presentation. From the phone screen to offer, the process took about 4 months, but that was due to the status of GF1 at that time w/production ramp.

Interview Questions

• Typical questions from a leadership standpoint. "Tell me about a time you had an interaction with a friend or colleague that impacted trust"   1 Answer

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Tesla (Sunnyvale, CA) in October 2019.

Interview

I was internally referred to this role based on my background and experience by an employee. The interview process lasted a total of 3 weeks. One phone call with the recruiter, followed by a 30 minute conversation with a Senior PM. Third round was with the Staff PM. Post this round, the company decided not to move forward with my candidature.
    1. Round 2 - It was scheduled for 7:30pm PST (which is outside of working hours) but being keen on the role, I decided to accept the delayed schedule. The hiring manager then rescheduled the interview for 9pm PST last minute and I accepted the same. I got through this round and decided to share this as feedback after the final decision would be shared with me.
    Round 3 - Scheduled for a more conventional 11am PST. I received no communication at the allotted time and at about 11:15 the interview was moved to 3pm PST. I took this interview as well and did not move forward after that.

Regardless of whether I was a good candidate, the highly adhoc nature of the interviewers and the team left a bad taste and I'd highly recommend a company of this stature to respect candidates' time going forward as this is a huge red flag especially for working professionals.

Equipment Maintenance Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Tesla (Fremont, CA) in October 2019.

Interview

Started with a short phone interview with an internal recruiter. Next was a video interview with a supervisor via Zoom. Then it was 4 consecutive interviews back to back in person at the factory. Had to interview with another supervisor, then the manager, then the senior manager, and ended it with the supervisor that i had done the video interview with. All told it was about 3.5 hours total while walking through the factory looking and talking about the equipment that i would be working on and the equipment i used to work on in the Navy.

Interview Questions

• Mostly various questions about my specific work experience in the navy and how it would translate to working on the equipment in the factory.   Answer Question