Tesla Mechanical Design Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Tesla Mechanical Design Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Tesla

3.5

Mechanical Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Tesla in May 2018.

Interview

Applied early on a Monday and got a call in the afternoon (Phone Screening). I was asked the most common and important question, "Why Tesla?" (they look for creative and genuine answers).

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Tesla

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reno, NV

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tesla (Reno, NV) in August 2017.

Interview

Fairly straightforward. Starts of with basic questions on projects listed on resume before moving on to technical questions. They do their research on you. They'll ask questions based on what's listed on your LinkedIn profile as well. Be prepared.

Interview Questions

• Calculate for the amount of water required to cool the room   Answer Question

Mechanical Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Tesla in November 2017.

Interview

Applied online to a variety of requisitions, got an mail from a recruiter scheduling a phone interview, interviewed 2x on the phone with a written technical interview I emailed in for submission. After the second phone screen, I got an email that I was not being considered for employment, not given a reason why despite doing very well (I thought) in the interviews.

Interview Questions

• First phone interview asked specifics of a design project on my resume from a former company; got into the details for how design decisions were made, requirements, etc.

This was followed by a technical quiz with 15 questions or so diving into the basics of engineering principles - statics, thermo, GD&T, buckling, modes of fundamental frequencies, physics, fluids, heat transfer, etc. Not difficult for me.

This was followed by a second phone screen with someone higher up on the team and had a screen-sharing component where I was asked to draw pictures and explain my reasoning on the platform. I was again asked about my design decisions for a project and asked to back it up with more technical answers that got into my fundamental understanding of engineering concepts such as heat transfer, fracture, bolts and preloading, and GD&T.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Sparks, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Tesla (Sparks, NV) in April 2018.

Interview

Very thorough interview and the best interview experience I have had.

You probably should not even apply if you are not passionate about working for Tesla.

Phone interview: for personality, interest in the company, and basic skills.
    Timed Engineering Exam: on basic skills knowledge applicable to the position
    In person interview: giving a presentation to a panel and a series of one-on-one interviews

This is a great interview process for determining, aptitude, fit with company culture, ability to summarize & present information clearly, and for determining a candidates actual knowledge base.

Be prepared to talk about any and all projects you have worked on, what your role was, what you personally accomplished, and what the end result was.

Mechanical Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tesla.

Interview

Applied online to the position, got an mail from a recruiter scheduling a phone interview, interviewed on the phone with recruiter and scheduled for 2nd round with hiring manager. After the second phone screen, I got an email that I was not being considered for employment.Started with basic questions on projects listed on resume before moving on to technical questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Tesla (Palo Alto, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

Phone interview for about 45 min with recruiter but never got the opportunity to speak with Hiring Managers and did not receive any call back. I understand how companies and managers are busy but we also have much more to tell about ourselves if we do have opportunity for it.

Interview Questions

• Why would I like to work at Tesla   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Tesla (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

Long and intensive, lots of attention to details and hard questions to have you work though. a lot of questions on GD&T and statics. Required a presentation to begin with where I had to present something i had designed and explain it fully. that lasted 30 minutes, then 8 or so one on one interviews followed.

Interview Questions

• how would you set up datums for this part.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Tesla (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

Length interview process (outlined below). However, I like this, that means everyone is properly vetted, and can be held to the same standard. Nobody can just weasel their way in.
    1. Call with recruiter
    2. Call with manager
    3. written skills test
    4. On site interview with presentation
    5. Six one-on-one interview with various potential coworkers

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Tesla   1 Answer

Negotiation

Back and forth with recruiter, not too much negotiation really. An offer was given, I could accept or deny.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Tesla (Columbus, OH) in February 2015.

Interview

I received the interview email just one day before the interview day, It was a very quick interview takes just 15 minutes, very fair questions just like other interviews, some questions can be found online and I asked them one question what job applicant will get the attention of recruiter, he answered that good education background, high gpa, and good communication skills. And also they try to make you know that life working in TESLA is very fast, I think I got a good experience in this interview.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about TESLA?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Tesla (Palo Alto, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

2 phone screens and 1 on site. tough technical questions. they dig deep into what YOU actually did. Not necessarily looking for experienced folks in terms of time, but people with critical thinking ability and drive.

Interview Questions

• what is young's modulus?   1 Answer