Tesla Mechanical Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Tesla Mechanical Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Tesla

3.2

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Tesla in April 2014.

Interview

I went to a career fair in September and I unexpectedly received an email from a recruiter in April. I was asked to send in an updated resume and give a time to talk the next week. We set up a "exploratory" phone call/interview. After the call my next contact was a week later via email saying I hadn't made it to the next round. I personally don't think I did very well, but it was my first real interview. Recruiter was very concise, but polite and professional.

On the call she told me I needed to submit a formal application online. If I had made it through I would have had to do 2-3 technical interviews over the next 2 weeks (may be a sped up timeline since it was so close to summer already).

Interview Questions

• Mostly questions about my resume/experience i.e. "Tell me about your time at X."   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Tesla

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Interview

The HR was nice, he transferred my profile to a manufacturing manager and the job descriptions changed for process engineer, then the manager asked me about experience of using database, which has nothing to with my profile, and he wanted me to do some strange works that are totally different from the job descriptions he gave me. I was very confused.

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Tesla (Palo Alto, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

3 Phone Interviews with HR and 2 Technical Phone Interviews with Mechanical Engineers on the team I would be working with. I never went in for an in-person interview. HR interviews were basic questions about previous work experience and background. Technical interviews dove deeper into past projects and asked a few technical questions related to past projects I had work on. Overall the process was simple and straight forward. There were no trick questions or surprises.

Interview Questions

• Asked how the strength to weight ratio of aluminum and steel compared.   3 Answers

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Tesla in November 2015.

Interview

One introductory phone interview with recruiter, and two technical phone interviews with team members. All of the questions were fair and pertinent to the position, but not easy. Be sure to review engineering fundamentals that you feel will be relevant to the role you're interviewing for, and to know how your experience can relate to the role.

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Tesla (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2010.

Interview

The interview process moved rather quickly in comparison to other companies. They were able to quickly setup the interview with short notice. I was given some relatively basic questions that any reliable engineer should be able to answer. There were about 3-4 interviews: one with HR, another with an engineer, and another with Elon.

Interview Questions

• If two vehicles are identical, except for one weighing twice as much as the other vehicle, and they roll down a hill, which car reaches the bottom first? Neglect air resistance. Assume the extra mass is in the body of the vehicle.   12 Answers

Negotiation

There wasn't a negotiation phase. You take it or leave it. Too many people applying to ask for anything else.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Tesla (Palo Alto, CA) in September 2010.

Interview

Applied online, received a phone call within 3 days from HR. They asked me about my personality and asked me to talk about a few previous projects outlines in my resume. Then I had 3 phone interviews with sr engineers and we continued to talk about my previous projects and hobbies. I then was asked to fly down to HQ for 1:1 interviews with 4 people, made a 45min presentation about a previous project, wrote a 20 question skills test which was on the hard side. I received a call the next day saying I had to write 2 essays, one about why i want to work for Tesla, and another about why Tesla should hire me, they had to be 800 words in length each. A week later I was contacted by a different HR person asking me for some more details about my resume (i was a little confused since I had already answered these questions to the other HR guy) then 4 weeks went by with nothing (I called twice and e-mailed twice, still with no response). I then got a call saying they were going to make their decision tonight and that I should expect a call, i waited and waited by the phone and never got a call. I called them the following day and the HR guy was on vacation... 3 weeks later he comes back and tells me the CTO decided to hire someone else... I wasn't very happy with the result, a little more communication would have been helpful...

Interview Questions

• . I received a call the next day saying I had to write 2 essays, one about why i want to work for Tesla, and another about why Tesla should hire me, they had to be 800 words in length each.   Answer Question
    • You're in a row boat, which is in a large tank filled with water. You have an anchor on board, which you throw overboard. Does the water level in the tank rise or fall?   5 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Tesla (Palo Alto, CA) in January 2012.

Interview

Put in my resume at an info session at my school in October. Was cold called in December and had a 30 minute phone interview about the contents of my resume. A month passed and I was called in to interview in Palo Alto, CA which consisted of 10 or so 1:1 and phone interviews all day. Most of them wanted to talk about projects I had worked on, and I was asked several brain teaser type questions. The beginning was nerve racking, but as the day went on, I got more comfortable. Everyone seemed very excited about the new car coming out, and it was an overall positive experience. I am still waiting to hear back.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through the steps you took to finish a project on your resume.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Tesla (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2012.

Interview

Contacted by the HR. Initially had 3 interviews over the phone, 1st by HR, 2nd by an Engineer and 3rd by the head of the group. Was called for an onsite interview and was asked to prepare a presentation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at Tesla (Berkeley, CA).

Interview

Seriously, one of the worst experiences of my professional life. The recruiters are disrespectful and dismissive, and simply cannot follow through on plans. I have been in communication with a recruiter for months, and she will say thing such as "I will contact you in 3 days" and then never will contact me again. When I finally got an interview scheduled (through another recruiter), he never called me at the set time. After not receiving any email or phone call explaining why I emailed him back. He said something had come up, and rescheduled the interview for the next day. And then proceeded to not call me again, and again did not provide any explanation or apology. It's simply disrespectful of my time, and I do not wish to work at a company that teaches their employees that their time is so much more valuable than others that they do not have to have common courtesy or follow through on commitments.

Tesla, remember that your recruiters are the first time your future employees get to see your companies culture. If I were you, I would be rather embarrassed about your recruiting teams, and understand that without your incredible reputation as a technological innovator (which may soon fade) your company would not be able to recruit talent.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Tesla in November 2011.

Interview

Went to a Tesla booth at a job fair, they were conducting interviews the next day and I asked for one. Interview was one on one, standard STAR behavioral questions, the interviewer was very helpful and told me what they were looking for and gave me feedback on how well my answers fit with their company mindset.

Interview Questions

• Nothing really tricky, just questions trying to clarify various aspects of my resume. Behavioral questions as well.   Answer Question